shoe care that doesn't darken leather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shoe care that doesn't darken leather

I generally use mink oil on my less dressy leather shoes (red wings, etc). I really like how that works, but it tends to darken the leather a bit. I now have some AE Dalton boots in Walnut. I have AE leather lotion for moisturizing and their brand of walnut polish for nicks in the leather. What is a general protectant/moisturizer (such as mink oil or saddle soap) that will do a nice job somewhat waterproofing the shoe and moisturizing it without darkening the nice Walnut color?

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

You could try out Lexol Neatsfoot leather conditioner:

http://www.amazon.com/Lexol-1412-Neatsfoot-Leather-Conditioner/dp/B000637TF0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

I used the regular Lexol on my Walnut Florsheim Gaffneys and they did darken up a shade. This stuff is supposed to not do that.

Comment

Does the lexol continue to darken them with further use or just one shade?

Comment

I dunno. I haven't done it again. I would guess no, but it's just a guess.

Comment

I use Dr. Martens Wonder Balsam. It does darken a little when it goes on, but the leather soon returns to its original color when absorbed. I couldn't be happier with how it takes care of my shoes.

Comment

Also note that I used the regular Lexol, not the neatsfoot oil one. They developed the neatsfoot oil one to avoid darkening.

My chestnut colored Cole Haan's didn't darken with the Lexol. The Gaffneys did... The Gaffneys' leather is softer and seemed to absorb the Lexol a lot more.

Comment

Are the lexols and the dr martens ones designed to moisturize and protect/moderately waterproof like a mink oil does? Man I need to learn more about shoe care

Comment

The creme or polish you use after the conditioner has wax in it. It will moderately protect against moisture (but don't go submerging them)... Personally when it's gonna be wet out I wear my Bean Boots and carry my shoes to change into.

Comment

The Dr. Martens is designed to moderately protect against moisture. They suggest that you work a lot of it in to the seams to protect them.

Comment

Working...
                  X