No announcement yet.

Friday challenge 7/19/2013 - stripes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I guess there really is no reason to sit on this for three more days.

My first thought was to wear my pinstriped Napoli suit, but I figured most people with striped suits would probably go that route. After trying a few laughably bad combos, this is what I settled on. Every element is striped (in some fashion or another) except the shoes:

*Unstructured cotton jacket, INC
    *Button-down shirt, Old Navy
    *Tie, Target
    *Pocket square, Target (tone-on-tone striping at the border)
    *Silk D-ring belt, Sierra Trading Post
    *Corduroy 5-pocket pants, JCP (not 100% sure corduroy qualifies as "striped" but I'm sticking with it for now)
    *Watch on Bond NATO, Orient
    *Socks, Target, not pictured
    Longwing shoes, Florsheim Haviland, not pictured
    Ben

Comment

BenR, that looks great. Nice work making a coherent outfit that doesn't look like an entry in a stripes contest -- but that totally fits the bill. You and bruschetta have it down. I'm waiting for Alan's next iteration...

Comment

Thanks. That's basically what I was going for - a 100% striped outfit that did not scream "STRIIIIIIPES" to someone who wasn't looking for them already. I'm looking forward to seeing how everyone else's outfits stack up against the indomitable entries shown thus far.
        Ben

Comment

Here's my entry. Decided to keep the stripes under control and go for a solid suit. I thought about wearing striped pants and an odd jacket, but that would have felt a bit much. I thought the solid gray suit created a better overall outfit.

Last edited by bjmcgeever; July 17, 2013, 11:54 AM.

Comment

bjmcgeever -- that's a super sharp look. I really like your decision to "keep the striped under control". Nicely done!

Comment

Love that tie, bj. Where's it from?

Comment

@BJ, I really like that outfit. The mid grey suit, light blue shirt, dark blue tie is one of my favorite color combos.
                Ben

Comment

Thanks all!

BenR, I really like you're outfit too. The dark shirt + dark tie + dark jacket isn't something I'm usually drawn to, but you made it happen very well.

Idle, the tie's from J Crew Factory.

Comment

Nice, fellas... reeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaal nice. Gonna be tough for my much more casual entry, but here 'goes...

For your consideration: A Striped Cologne Guy... (literally)

Jacket: Grind by CoffeeShop
                    Shirt: ON
                    Belt: BR
                    Pants: BR
                    Socks: Merona
                    Shoes: BR
                    Watch: Rotary
                    Bracelets: H&M
                    Scent: JPG

Comment

@ Yoyo, I was actually wondering if someone was going to do something more casual. Given the nature of the forum, it goes without saying that the jacket+tie looks will tend to dominate - so it takes some serious cojones to deviate from that standard. Your outfit seems to be a good example of something that is probably more wearable in most people's daily lives.

Looks like this is shaping up to be another close competition....
                      Ben

Comment

I have major stripe deficiencies. I just don't have much in my closet. Here's a new attempt. It's pretty weak by comparison, but it's all i've got...

A new take on a classic look. The seersucker jacket is a little cropped and has patch pockets. I've gone tieless. The pants, however, are navy chinos. The shoes are spectators, but instaed of being different colors, they're different textures (pebble grain and smooth).

Jacket: JCP
                        Shirt: Roundtree & Yorke
                        Pants: LEC
                        Shoes: AE
                        Watch: Bulova

Comment

Cologne guy, Extra points for the striped cologne bottle.

Alan, I prefer your first outfit.

bjm, Looking good!

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post

Alan, I prefer your first outfit.
                            I don't particularly like either of them. :-)

Comment

Wow. We've got some serious players here. BJ, Robbo and Alan -- all excellent. BJ, I too love the color combination. Robbo, I'm so happy you mixed it up -- looks great. Striped cologne and bracelet too! You too have used color to tone down the stripes and make things coherent. Nice. Alan, you look like an Italian playboy. That's a serious compliment.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                                I don't particularly like either of them. :-)
                                Alan, I like both of them. You look great, bud.

Comment

Working...
                                X