X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YackoYak
    replied

My Lombards next to my Hawleys:

Yes, the AE Strand is a more narrow last. As for color: I stand corrected Bruschetta, I guess these are a medium brown compared to the McTavish.

I can't really say what is "necessary". At one time I thought black shoes were the most versatile, now I think that way about brown and I don't remember the last time I work black shoes /boots. So, I guess what I'm saying is you're asking the wrong person!

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

Great info thanks for the links Yacko. So if I'm understanding correctly then, the strands are one of their more tapered styles? I do love them in the walnut color. This is leading me to question whether a medium brown dress shoe is all that necessary. That is, if I were only to buy one pair. Thoughts?

Leave a comment:

• YackoYak
    replied

Here is AE's page on their current / recent lasts:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/AllAboutLastsView?langId=&storeId=1&catalogId=4000 0000001

And an informative thread on previous models & their lasts on Ask Andy:

http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/showthread.php?64989-Allen-Edmonds-Styles-vs.-Lasts/page2

Especially posts #28, #37, #45.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

Bruschetta and Yacko, that would be great. I haven't explored it too much. Is there a place on the AE website that explains the details of their lasts? I love the walnut strands but I figure I should have an all around brown shoe. The browns in AE look very dark. I'll check Endless for more accurate photos.

Leave a comment:

• YackoYak
    replied

When I get home I'll take a picture of my AE Lombards for you. They are made on the 2-222 last, which has a more elongated & tapered toe similar to the 8-108. I think they are actually relatively light brown though; I've used AE's walnut creme polish on them and they didn't change color on me.

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied

Greg, I forgot to add: some of AE's "walnut" shoes are darker than others. For example, the McAllister, Strand, and Sanford are light walnut. The Lombard is a darker brown, even though it's called Walnut.

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied

Greg, what would be of help? I could take a picture of my Strands so that you can see the profile. AE shoes on the 5 last are long and narrow.

As for color, the colors on endless.com tend to be very accurate.

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    replied

Any suggestions fellas?

Leave a comment:

• greg_s
    started a topic Shoe needs... Close laced Oxford

Shoe needs... Close laced Oxford

I am in need of a great pair of close laced dressed up oxfords. I want brown. I am willing to wait until this holiday season and buy some AEs. I am most interested in a medium brown, not super dark, and as much as I tend to love them probably not chestnut/walnut. I have the Dalton boots in walnut. Can anyone comment on the shade of AE brown in say the Strand or Jefferson or other shoe suggestions? Also, I like a slimmer profile shoe (narrowish feet), can someone comment on the length/profile of the shoes? Thanks fellas.

Working...
X