Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will flat front suit pants go out of style in a few years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will flat front suit pants go out of style in a few years?

I have a Jos A Banks tailored-fit charcoal herringbone suit that as got as a gift. I was thinking of buying an extra pair of pants because people say that the pants wear out before the jacket. The pants have gone on sale. The pants I got are flat-front, which is in style now as everybody says pleats are horrible, for old/fat men etc. I'm wondering, in a few years are pleats going to come back and make flat fronts look dated? I don't wear a suit often, so I'm planning on keeping this suit for a long time as my go-to suit for weddings, funerals, etc. I'm wondering if I should get pleated pants so I have one of each, or just another pair of flat fronts.

This is the jacket: http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop...1_10050_362521
    plain-front: http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop...1_10050_370121
    pleated: http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop...1_10050_362523

Any thoughts?

Don't think they'll go out of style but people may be more willing to try pleated ones again in the future. I personally have been thinking that I should try a pair of single-pleated pants, though I'm not sure whether reverse or forward is better. I've got not huge but fairly large thighs and I want to see if the pleat gives a better line and drape than flat front, which can look odd at times.

Truth is though I personally wouldn't spend any more money on that suit. And I don't think JAB is the company to go to for tastefully done pleats. Wear the suit til it falls apart, and then buy something else if your finances allow it.

Comment

God, I hope not. I feel like I'm wearing a sheet with pleated pants (same for double breasted suits).

To your specific question: If the sale is good, I would grab the flat-fronts, as it never hurts to have another pair. But LosRockets is right, unless it's a killer deal, probably not worth it.
      -DESR
      http://deanfortythree.wordpress.com/
      https://twitter.com/deanfortythree

Comment

I have been wearing flat front pants even on my suits for like 8-9 years now. I doubt I will ever change even if fashion does at this point

Comment

I don't want to live in a world where flat front pants are considered out of style.

Comment

If you get pleats, you have to wear them at basically your belly button for them to look right. They only look good on slim builds, and they look much better facing inward than outward. If you wear pleats at the hips, where we all wear our pants these days, the pleats buckle out and look frumpy. The point of pleats is to allow people to wear high-waisted pants, where the waist is significantly slimmer than the hips (in other words, you have to do something to make it accentuate the hips less). You'll look kind of like someone from the 1930s. Which can be done well, as seen here:

I'm sure some fashion designers are putting pleats on runways these days, but I doubt it will be "in" among people like us for some time. In the 1980s they had a "1920's renaissance" with the big-shouldered, drapey, pleated-pants Armani suits, and that's the exact opposite of what's in today:

So, my recommendation is that your suit will probably wear out before pleats come back in fashion.

Comment

I agree with LosRockets - don't throw more money at that suit unless you're basically getting the pants for free. The suit will last you as long as you take decent care of it, and there's really no need for two pairs of pants.

As for flat-front pants going out of style, I doubt it will happen anytime soon. Fashion is constantly evolving, but I have Hickey Freeman and Hart Shaffner Marx suits that were my father's from the late 60s/early 70s that are still perfectly in style with flat-front pants and normal width jacket lapels. The waist is slightly higher, but its not like I'm wearing grandpa pants or anything.

Comment

I am of the school of thought that two suit pants is great, but some questions need to be answered beforehand:

1) How often do you wear a suit? Daily? Weekly? Monthly?
                2) Pay attention to your pants. What part wears out first, the cuff or the crotch?

Since my crotch wore out on my last suit, I decided to get a second pair of pants. This allows me to vary in weight and rotate pants.

Of course, take all pants and matching jacket to the cleaners at the same time so they will discolor evenly. Cleaning always discolors (fades, if you want).

Comment

In a word, no. Nothing I like will ever go out of style.

The stupid people will flit to and fro with their preferences but true style remains something firmly implanted within my preferences.

Comment

Thanks BB for that 1980s flashback. That guy looks like the love child of Huey Lewis and Don Johnson.

Comment

Consider that flat front is traditionally a more formal style, IIRC. GQ's Glenn O'Brien has mentioned that "ass-forgiving" pleats are great if you plan to dance in your suit; I've found they're also more comfortable if you plan on doing a lot of of sitting in your trousers.

Comment

Flat fronts have been around forever, so I don't think they'll become unacceptable to wear. What will probably go out of style with the next fashion cycle is the slim/tapered/skinny trend.

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post
                          If you get pleats, you have to wear them at basically your belly button for them to look right. They only look good on slim builds, and they look much better facing inward than outward. If you wear pleats at the hips, where we all wear our pants these days, the pleats buckle out and look frumpy. The point of pleats is to allow people to wear high-waisted pants, where the waist is significantly slimmer than the hips (in other words, you have to do something to make it accentuate the hips less). You'll look kind of like someone from the 1930s.

I'm sure some fashion designers are putting pleats on runways these days, but I doubt it will be "in" among people like us for some time. In the 1980s they had a "1920's renaissance" with the big-shouldered, drapey, pleated-pants Armani suits, and that's the exact opposite of what's in today:

So, my recommendation is that your suit will probably wear out before pleats come back in fashion.
                          Agreed. I don't think I could go back to pleats but if I did, I would wear them like the guy in the first picture.

Comment

Oh, reverse pleats. Why are they so ubiquitous in the first place? I suspect forward pleats are harder to make, but I really don't know.

Comment

@BB - I thought 1920s suits were generally quite slim fitting, not draping like a sack?

Comment

Working...
                              X