The Wool Blend Blazer I Like, and the 'Stank' I Loathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Wool Blend Blazer I Like, and the 'Stank' I Loathe

Hello Dappered Folks! I'm in need of a bit of suit-care advice.

A while back there was a post here on a $30 wool-blend blazer at Target. I found it, tried it, and actually really liked it. It was surprisingly comfortable, a really nice fit for the most part, and I even threw $10 at it to fix the only problem (the gorilla-length sleeves).

Fast forward a few months - had a semi-casual event to speak at and met with car trouble on the way. Rather than take the jacket off like a sane person, I booked it a few miles while wearing the thing and made it just in time to clean up in the bathroom before the event started. In the aftermath the armpits stink. It isn't overpowering, but certainly enough that I wouldn't wear it without being extremely self-conscious.

I've done a little research, and there seems to be a common experience that dry-cleaning isn't particularly effective at removing sweat-based odor. So what are my options? Any tried-and-true home remedies, or does my cheap little Target blazer bite the bullet?

Thanks!
    Last edited by CowboyHatValor; July 10, 2013, 01:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Just curious, what percentage wool is it?

Comment

Allow the jacket to air out thoroughly between wearings. Hang it on an unfinished cedar suit hanger if you can. Have it steamed and pressed instead of dry-cleaned, or steam the jacket yourself with a clothing steamer. Stick a (mildly scented) dryer sheet it each of the jacket's armpits when you hang it up.

Synthetic fibers cling to odors in a way that natural fibers simply don't, so on some level, a synthetic blend will never be as good as a wool or cotton jacket.
      Ben

Comment

Since it's a $30 jacket I would risk dropping it in a tub of cold water with a cap full of Woolite. I'd leave it to rest for an hour, press it between a towel, and air dry.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
          Since it's a $30 jacket I would risk dropping it in a tub of cold water with a cap full of Woolite. I'd leave it to rest for an hour, press it between a towel, and air dry.
          Yikes!

Comment

Febreze? maybe sprinkle a little baking soda in the inner pits?

Comment

What about putting the jacket in the freezer? Ive read about people doing this with jeans to go longer between washes.

The theory is that it kills the odor causing bacteria, not sure if it works or not though.
              Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Working...
              X