Mercanti fiorentini wingtip bar lacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercanti fiorentini wingtip bar lacing

These got good reviews and I needed a pair of dress shoes so I picked some up. In store they had them pre laced with bar lacing, but it doesn't quite work because there are only 5 eyelets and I've only seen bar lacing on even numbered eyelets. Kinda want to keep some kind of bar lacing on them, so dos anyone have them and have suggestions for how to make it work

I use this when trying to find lacing methods for shoes: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

Comment

Pretty sure you'll find a few examples at the link supplied by JBarwick above, but as a short (sucky) summary, do the bar lacing as you normally would with an even numbered eyelet shoe, but just go diagonal either on the first one, or on the last one. I usually have gone on the last one, before tying, just out of habit, but it can be seen that way. If you start with a diagonal on the first then it's usually tougher to notice, as in *most* cases, a balmoral will closed more tightly at the lower end (start), and *may* get spread out a tad as you progress up the foot, toward the tie point.

Make sense?

** EDIT: Actually just checked quickly at the link, and the diagonal in covered as one of several ways around an odd-numbered eyelet scenario for bar lacing. Check it out in the workarounds section at the bottom of the page, here:
      http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/stra...tm#workarounds

Also, it's noted in that section, that if doing the one diagonal up near the tying end (last set of eyelets), the actual bow and laces can help to hide the diagonal. Never really thought about it, but maybe that's why I don't have issues when I do mine that way. My balmorals tend to be quite closely shut in the lace-up/eyelet section, so that helps too.
      Last edited by yoyorobbo; July 10, 2013, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Oh, and one more thing (DOH!):

In most cases, when shoes are already bar-laced in-store, they are done so in a fashion that you probably do not want to keep. There is a "display" method of lacing, that usually blows for functionality, but works well for making the shoes look good on display. FYI. You're usully better off just unlacing them, and starting from scratch with your own desired method. Maybe this is unnecessary common knowledge; but just in case, well there it is.

Comment

I agree if you one cross near the top your knot and possibly your pants will cover the cross.

Comment

Redid them with the diagonal cross at the top (used the easy method so one of them runs up along the side) and it looks pretty good. Not the easiest to tighten and loosen but not impossible either.

Comment

Working...
            X