Colorful Dress Socks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorful Dress Socks

I'm at a point where I need to star replacing my dress socks and I want to add some color to my selection. Do you guys have any suggestions on where to pick some up at? I'm not looking to pay much for them.

You can find some cheap bundles at TJ Max, Marshalls, and like stores. They usually have some packs of 3-4 pairs of Van Heusen socks for around six dollars. The packs of socks will usually contain the same color, though with varying patterns (stripes, solid, polka dot)

Comment

I've picked mine up at Target ($3, IIRC), J Crew Factory (<$5 on sale), BR Factory (5 for $10 on sale) and Burlington Coat Factory (5 for $10). I know some people like Happy Socks, but I haven't tried any from there yet.
      Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

I've picked up several pairs from Target that are cool patterns and colors, Nordstrom Rack has Happy Socks and some from English Laundry for like 5 bucks too if you have one near you

Comment

I'll second Nordstrom Rack. I've gotten Cole Haan, English Laundry, Ben Sherman, and a few other brands there, all for a reasonable price.

Fair warning - the Cole Haan's run very big, even after a wash, and I have to use adhesive to keep them up. Also, some English Laundry is very cheap and gets that see-through look to it. You can tell by pulling on the threads before you buy to see how it looks when they expand.

Comment

Target (Merona or Mossimo, I forgot) offers fun and colorful options. I do notice that holes start to develop after a few wears and washes though. I really like Happy Socks. You can find them at Marshalls, Ross etc. I've also found them at Nordies Rack and Last Call.

Every once in a while MyHabit will offer Florsheim by Duckie Brown socks, never had a pair, but they offer nice patterns.

Comment

Target has been a favourite place for myself, but some of the other stores mentioned in this thread are great as well.
              Check out my men's style and fitness website: www.wellbuiltstyle.com

Stay Fit. Look Sharp.

Comment

I love my Happy Socks. I have had Merona dress socks in the past and they didn't last very long. I got mine for roughly $7 a pair but like someone else said, sites like MyHabit and Gilt have socks for sale weekly so you can get 3 and 4 packs for under $20.

Comment

Nordstrom's anniversary sale is coming up at the end of the month so keep a look out for that. The prices will be a tad pricier but you can find some really nice socks at a greatly discounted price.

Also, +1 for Happy Socks.
                  Check out my style and fitness website at: http://www.wellbuiltstyle.com

Stay Fit. Look Sharp.

Comment

I have a few from Target that looked good. Though as mentioned the quality is not the best. After a few washes they started fraying or got holes. Heard good things about Happy Socks though haven't tried it. I've recently got two pairs from Uniqlo. They have a lot of different colors, though not as many patterns and not true dress socks. Their pique socks aren't too thick and I like them so far.

Comment

I've seen very little longevity with certain Target brand socks (both Merona and Mossimo). IIRC, the argyle patterned Merona ones and the striped variety from Mossimo are the ones which seemed to give me problems quite early on. The threading between the different panels in the the argyle patterns always seem to fray and get just plain messy, whereas on the striped ones, there seems to be almost a "line runs up the back of the stockings" kinda thing. Weird, in a non-VH/DLR sorta way.

Also regarding Happy Socks, I have maybe 5 pair or so, all clearanced at Marshalls/TJMaxx, and all shrunken way too much after the first wash. I won't be buying any more.

I try to be *gentle*, to a degree, with my laundering of these types of socks, washing them inside out, and laying flat to dry or line drying/hanging. Still the same results. Is the inside out thing the problem? Wondering now as I type this. Hmmn...

Anyway, the socks that have lasted the longest and that have not frayed/etc early on, would probably be the various Gold Toe (and even their cheaper Target sub-line version, "Auro") ones I have. Only thing is they are the more boring ones in my sock drawer.

I have a couple one-off pairs from BR, Express, and .... hmmn... Esprit, I think, that seem to be doing pretty well, but I've only worn them once or twice each, so we'll see...

Other than that, I have some really nice Winter socks (thicker, warmer, wool) by both Woolrich and Cabot & Sons. Those seem to have held up quite nicely through two Winters so far. Some of those are pretty funky, in a sock-monkey sorta way, whileothers are just plain beige, grey, charcoal, etc.

I'm curious as to some other more colorful, Happy Socks-ish options top try next too. Good thread!

Comment

Although I'am transitioning to the less of higher quality mentality, I can not bring it upon myself to pay more than $5-$6 for a single pair of socks. Be patient and you can find some decent socks for a reasonable price.

Target: not the best quality but I have so many socks in rotation I wear each pair maybe once a month. You will definitely get your $3 worth from them.

JCF: Good sock, decently made. They can often be found online and in store on clearance. Wait for a decent aditional % discount sale and get them even cheaper.

HS by Happy Sock: my favorite so far. They have held up greatly better than any other socks I have owned. Plus, they are are tall (just above mid shin) without being overly long in the foot. I usually wait for some sale to snatch a pair or two, but have also randomly found about six different pairs on clearance for a $1 also at JCP.

I wash all of my socks on the gentle cycle and hang dry them. The only ones I seem to have trouble with shrinking and falling apart are ones with argyle patterns on them.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                          I've seen very little longevity with certain Target brand socks (both Merona and Mossimo). IIRC, the argyle patterned Merona ones and the striped variety from Mossimo are the ones which seemed to give me problems quite early on. The threading between the different panels in the the argyle patterns always seem to fray and get just plain messy, whereas on the striped ones, there seems to be almost a "line runs up the back of the stockings" kinda thing. Weird, in a non-VH/DLR sorta way.
                          Yeah this was pretty much my experience. I think I picked up 4 or 5 pairs of argyle, and one started showing signs of fraying after one wash. Most of the others followed suit over the next 3-4 washes. That being said, I do still have one pair that, a year or so later, has held up fine. I think their quality control is just pretty shoddy, so it's a gamble to buy.

Lately I've gotten most of my colorful ones from BR/Gap when they have a decent sale.

Comment

Happy Socks @ Nordstrom Rack!

Or on their current summer sale.

Comment

These Clean Socks look fun and definitely a sweet deal at $4 for 2 pairs.

http://www.kohls.com/catalog/mens-cl...514+4294719810

Comment

Working...
                              X