Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Cleaner may have ruined my suit - any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alan
    replied
    Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
    Now that we've given you our condolences, Greg, why does your username contain "Ihavenipples"? Has that ever been in question? Was there a time when that wasn't the case? Are you, perchance, a nipple-transplantee? Inquiring minds wish to know.
    "Meet The Parents" quote

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied
    Now that we've given you our condolences, Greg, why does your username contain "Ihavenipples"? Has that ever been in question? Was there a time when that wasn't the case? Are you, perchance, a nipple-transplantee? Inquiring minds wish to know.

Leave a comment:

• Eli Dion
    replied
    Condolences greg.

Just for future reference to everyone else who doesn't have much experience with getting their suit dry cleaned, I would definitely do your research online to look for the best places available. It's really worth the extra $10-$20 to get a dry cleaner who is skilled and has lots of experience.

Another good thing to do is to buy a high quality horse-hair brush and make sure you give your suit a good brushing after each wear. I also use a steamer to get out any odors.

Leave a comment:

• hornsup84
    replied
    Originally posted by zmac View Post
    Ok thanks. I probably send my pants in for cleaning way too often, but I have had some pairs for years with no issues. Best bet is to just send them in to be pressed every couple weeks and then cleaned every 4 months or so? I wear wool pants basically every day at work, but I have enough pairs that I wear each about once a week.
    This seems reasonable -- I have gotten into the habit of ordering two pair of suitpants with every suit I get, which has definitely prolonged how much they need pressing/cleaning like Alan said (as well as general wear and tear on each pair of pants). The best way to delay how often you have to get pants pressed is to hang them back up--along the creases--immediately after you're done wearing them. Wool will generally hang itself back into shape that way and you'll even keep the pressed crease for a prolonged period. Adding a steamer to your arsenal will make this method go even further.

Leave a comment:

• zmac
    replied
    Ok thanks. I probably send my pants in for cleaning way too often, but I have had some pairs for years with no issues. Best bet is to just send them in to be pressed every couple weeks and then cleaned every 4 months or so? I wear wool pants basically every day at work, but I have enough pairs that I wear each about once a week.

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied
    Originally posted by zmac View Post
    How often should you dry clean a suit? What about daily wear wool trousers?
    If you use an appropriate detergent and do everything by hand, you can wash wool trousers as often as you like. I never have my odd trousers dry cleaned.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied
    Once per season is the general rule, but I've been able to extend it. If it's something you wear every single day, you may wantr to clean more often. The "20 wears" rule comes out to about once per month which seems appropriate. I've found that the longer you can go between wears, the more wears you can get.

Leave a comment:

• shad0w4life
    replied
    ^^
    http://news.menshealth.com/3-dry-cle...et/2013/05/09/

Leave a comment:

• zmac
    replied
    How often should you dry clean a suit? What about daily wear wool trousers?

Leave a comment:

• Morgan Liu
    replied
    Although you dry cleaned a bit too often, I don't think it's your fault. It doesn't seem like a gradual deterioration but a sudden one.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied
    Originally posted by IhavenipplesGreg View Post
    While I agree that the dry cleaning was definitely the cause, I think it may have been a case of this particular cleaner cleaning/pressing incorrectly or at too high a temperature rather a gradual breakdown of the material. As I said in my original post, in the past two years I've used the same dry cleaner on this suit several times with no signs of this issue or serious wear. This the first time I used this particular dry cleaner ( I recently moved ) and now the jacket is ruined in one shot.

I agree that the number of times I cleaned the suit was probably too high, but it just seems odd that this particular one would take it from good condition to unwearable.
    Oh no doubt. They killed it.

Leave a comment:

• IhavenipplesGreg
    replied
    Thanks for the idea. Might give that a shot.
    Last edited by IhavenipplesGreg; July 9, 2013, 01:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

Leave a comment:

• IhavenipplesGreg
    replied
    Originally posted by alan View Post
    A blended suit can potentially age more quickly than even 100% polyester because the fibers are varying strengths (polyester being stronger than wool). So the polyester content can actually abrade the wool content... At least in theory.

I don't think that's what we're seeing here, though. I think what we're seeing here is just a jacket that was cleaned and pressed too aggressively.
    While I agree that the dry cleaning was definitely the cause, I think it may have been a case of this particular cleaner cleaning/pressing incorrectly or at too high a temperature rather a gradual breakdown of the material. As I said in my original post, in the past two years I've used the same dry cleaner on this suit several times with no signs of this issue or serious wear. This the first time I used this particular dry cleaner ( I recently moved ) and now the jacket is ruined in one shot.

I agree that the number of times I cleaned the suit was probably too high, but it just seems odd that this particular one would take it from good condition to unwearable.

Leave a comment:

• Crims
    replied
    Originally posted by alan View Post
    Nothing ages a suit faster than cleaning it.

Barring any stains or funky smells, I probably don't clean my suits more than once or twice a year, either. We also take our stuff to the cleaners in the nicest part of town. It's more expensive, but they hand check every garment before and after. They're used to cleaning expensive stuff. Mine aren't expensive, but they are given the same care.

I have no advice on that suit, though. It looks about dead. You can ask for a credit, but I'm doubtful you'll get anything.
    Agree with this 100%. I rarely get my wool articles cleaned (most of the time it can be done with just some water anyway) - time left hanging and airing out will get out pretty much all of the smells and winkles from a day's wear. Its one of the beauties of wool. Before I always erred on the side of more cleaning until a local dry cleaners took a hatchet to one of my suits and left a severe amount of pilling - only a few days before an interview, no less.

If it were a small area and you were going to lose the suit if you didn't do anything about it, I might suggest taking a disposable razor and trying to see if that would cut the lose ends. It works with wool pills in a pinch, but I'm not sure if it would work in this case.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied
    Originally posted by IhavenipplesGreg View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. I thought that was likely going to be the verdict, which obviously sucks. I guess it's one of those things I get to learn the hard way. Definitely will not think as lightly about dry cleaning/which dry cleaner to use in the future.

In hindsight, probably wouldn't have bought a suit with a wool/synthetic blend as well but I'll chalk that up to being an uninformed kid right out of college buying one of your first suits on a budget.

Live and learn.
    A blended suit can potentially age more quickly than even 100% polyester because the fibers are varying strengths (polyester being stronger than wool). So the polyester content can actually abrade the wool content... At least in theory.

I don't think that's what we're seeing here, though. I think what we're seeing here is just a jacket that was cleaned and pressed too aggressively.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X