Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Cleaner may have ruined my suit - any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once per season is the general rule, but I've been able to extend it. If it's something you wear every single day, you may wantr to clean more often. The "20 wears" rule comes out to about once per month which seems appropriate. I've found that the longer you can go between wears, the more wears you can get.

Comment

Originally posted by zmac View Post
      How often should you dry clean a suit? What about daily wear wool trousers?
      If you use an appropriate detergent and do everything by hand, you can wash wool trousers as often as you like. I never have my odd trousers dry cleaned.

Comment

Ok thanks. I probably send my pants in for cleaning way too often, but I have had some pairs for years with no issues. Best bet is to just send them in to be pressed every couple weeks and then cleaned every 4 months or so? I wear wool pants basically every day at work, but I have enough pairs that I wear each about once a week.

Comment

Originally posted by zmac View Post
          Ok thanks. I probably send my pants in for cleaning way too often, but I have had some pairs for years with no issues. Best bet is to just send them in to be pressed every couple weeks and then cleaned every 4 months or so? I wear wool pants basically every day at work, but I have enough pairs that I wear each about once a week.
          This seems reasonable -- I have gotten into the habit of ordering two pair of suitpants with every suit I get, which has definitely prolonged how much they need pressing/cleaning like Alan said (as well as general wear and tear on each pair of pants). The best way to delay how often you have to get pants pressed is to hang them back up--along the creases--immediately after you're done wearing them. Wool will generally hang itself back into shape that way and you'll even keep the pressed crease for a prolonged period. Adding a steamer to your arsenal will make this method go even further.

Comment

Condolences greg.

Just for future reference to everyone else who doesn't have much experience with getting their suit dry cleaned, I would definitely do your research online to look for the best places available. It's really worth the extra $10-$20 to get a dry cleaner who is skilled and has lots of experience.

Another good thing to do is to buy a high quality horse-hair brush and make sure you give your suit a good brushing after each wear. I also use a steamer to get out any odors.
            Check out my style and fitness website at: http://www.wellbuiltstyle.com

Stay Fit. Look Sharp.

Comment

Now that we've given you our condolences, Greg, why does your username contain "Ihavenipples"? Has that ever been in question? Was there a time when that wasn't the case? Are you, perchance, a nipple-transplantee? Inquiring minds wish to know.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                Now that we've given you our condolences, Greg, why does your username contain "Ihavenipples"? Has that ever been in question? Was there a time when that wasn't the case? Are you, perchance, a nipple-transplantee? Inquiring minds wish to know.
                "Meet The Parents" quote

Comment

Working...
                X