Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Cleaner may have ruined my suit - any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Cleaner may have ruined my suit - any advice?

So prior to a wedding this past week, I took my suit to the cleaners as it had been several wears since I last cleaned it. I was really busy right up until I left for the wedding and didn't check the suit until I arrived at the hotel on Saturday. When I did, I noticed that there were now little nappy white threads sprouting forth from all over the navy jacket. The suit is a BB Stretch that I believe is made out of 97% wool and 3% synthetic material (I think spandex but not sure). It appears that the threads are made of the synthetic material because when I pull at them they stretch before they pull out.

I have dry cleaned it several times before over the course of the 3 years (probably around 10 total) I have owned it and this has never occurred before. The pants do not appear to have the same thing happening. I am wondering if the jacket was pressed/cleaned on too high of a heat setting? Anyone have any experience with something like this happening before and what did you do to try and fix it? I tried running a lint roller over it but it didn't really pull any of them out. The only other thing I can think of is spending hours removing each by hand (if that's even possible, some are so small I can't grip them with my fingers). Otherwise, the jacket is pretty much unwearable because if you're standing within 2 feet of it, it looks like the wearer is in serious need of some Head N Shoulders.

Any advice on how to proceed? Do I have any recourse with the Dry Cleaners? I attached some pictures below.

Thanks in advance for your help.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Greg, That sucks. It looks as though you're out one suit. Polyester fibres split when exposed to high heat. Dry cleaning, ironing, and steaming can easily ruin a garment with polyester in the fabric.

I don't have a solution, but you have my condolences. If it makes you feel better, you're not alone: I'm sure most of us have experienced a dry cleaning or ironing mishap over the years. Such is the nature of dry cleaners.

Comment

It's dead. You can ask for a credit from your dry cleaners but who knows what your chances are with that.

I can't say it's ever happened to me but I don't have any suits with spandex in them and I only dry clean them maybe once a year.

Three years isn't exactly a long time to own a suit either so there isn't much positive to say.

Comment

Nothing ages a suit faster than cleaning it.

Barring any stains or funky smells, I probably don't clean my suits more than once or twice a year, either. We also take our stuff to the cleaners in the nicest part of town. It's more expensive, but they hand check every garment before and after. They're used to cleaning expensive stuff. Mine aren't expensive, but they are given the same care.

I have no advice on that suit, though. It looks about dead. You can ask for a credit, but I'm doubtful you'll get anything.
        Last edited by alan; July 9, 2013, 08:56 AM.

Comment

Fwiw, I've never had that personally happen to me, but it's very common on thrift store garments.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I thought that was likely going to be the verdict, which obviously sucks. I guess it's one of those things I get to learn the hard way. Definitely will not think as lightly about dry cleaning/which dry cleaner to use in the future.

In hindsight, probably wouldn't have bought a suit with a wool/synthetic blend as well but I'll chalk that up to being an uninformed kid right out of college buying one of your first suits on a budget.

Live and learn.

Comment

You may not have a suit, but what you may have there is an interesting textured sportcoat.

Comment

Originally posted by IhavenipplesGreg View Post
                Thanks for the responses guys. I thought that was likely going to be the verdict, which obviously sucks. I guess it's one of those things I get to learn the hard way. Definitely will not think as lightly about dry cleaning/which dry cleaner to use in the future.

In hindsight, probably wouldn't have bought a suit with a wool/synthetic blend as well but I'll chalk that up to being an uninformed kid right out of college buying one of your first suits on a budget.

Live and learn.
                A blended suit can potentially age more quickly than even 100% polyester because the fibers are varying strengths (polyester being stronger than wool). So the polyester content can actually abrade the wool content... At least in theory.

I don't think that's what we're seeing here, though. I think what we're seeing here is just a jacket that was cleaned and pressed too aggressively.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                  Nothing ages a suit faster than cleaning it.

Barring any stains or funky smells, I probably don't clean my suits more than once or twice a year, either. We also take our stuff to the cleaners in the nicest part of town. It's more expensive, but they hand check every garment before and after. They're used to cleaning expensive stuff. Mine aren't expensive, but they are given the same care.

I have no advice on that suit, though. It looks about dead. You can ask for a credit, but I'm doubtful you'll get anything.
                  Agree with this 100%. I rarely get my wool articles cleaned (most of the time it can be done with just some water anyway) - time left hanging and airing out will get out pretty much all of the smells and winkles from a day's wear. Its one of the beauties of wool. Before I always erred on the side of more cleaning until a local dry cleaners took a hatchet to one of my suits and left a severe amount of pilling - only a few days before an interview, no less.

If it were a small area and you were going to lose the suit if you didn't do anything about it, I might suggest taking a disposable razor and trying to see if that would cut the lose ends. It works with wool pills in a pinch, but I'm not sure if it would work in this case.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                    A blended suit can potentially age more quickly than even 100% polyester because the fibers are varying strengths (polyester being stronger than wool). So the polyester content can actually abrade the wool content... At least in theory.

I don't think that's what we're seeing here, though. I think what we're seeing here is just a jacket that was cleaned and pressed too aggressively.
                    While I agree that the dry cleaning was definitely the cause, I think it may have been a case of this particular cleaner cleaning/pressing incorrectly or at too high a temperature rather a gradual breakdown of the material. As I said in my original post, in the past two years I've used the same dry cleaner on this suit several times with no signs of this issue or serious wear. This the first time I used this particular dry cleaner ( I recently moved ) and now the jacket is ruined in one shot.

I agree that the number of times I cleaned the suit was probably too high, but it just seems odd that this particular one would take it from good condition to unwearable.

Comment

Thanks for the idea. Might give that a shot.
                      Last edited by IhavenipplesGreg; July 9, 2013, 12:16 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Originally posted by IhavenipplesGreg View Post
                        While I agree that the dry cleaning was definitely the cause, I think it may have been a case of this particular cleaner cleaning/pressing incorrectly or at too high a temperature rather a gradual breakdown of the material. As I said in my original post, in the past two years I've used the same dry cleaner on this suit several times with no signs of this issue or serious wear. This the first time I used this particular dry cleaner ( I recently moved ) and now the jacket is ruined in one shot.

I agree that the number of times I cleaned the suit was probably too high, but it just seems odd that this particular one would take it from good condition to unwearable.
                        Oh no doubt. They killed it.

Comment

Although you dry cleaned a bit too often, I don't think it's your fault. It doesn't seem like a gradual deterioration but a sudden one.

Comment

How often should you dry clean a suit? What about daily wear wool trousers?

Comment

^^
                              http://news.menshealth.com/3-dry-cle...et/2013/05/09/

Comment

Working...
                              X