Navy blazer in the summer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Navy blazer in the summer

So, I have a go-to navy blazer, but it is wool. Let's say it is a summer evening in a northern region and the temperatures are in the 50s (F). Is it acceptable to wear the wool blazer in the summer?
    Personally I hate the idea... but I have purchased many things lately and don't think I can swing a navy cotton or linen blazer. I tried the one from Target that Joe swears by... I hated it on me.

Thoughts?

j.r., If it's a lighter-weight wool then you can wear it year-round. If it's tweed, you'll sweat buckets. Why do you hate the idea? Wool is a year-round fabric.

Comment

Joe "swears by" the Target blazer as a cheap cotton casual blazer, it's by no means the best though. Yes, a wool blazer is acceptable year-round, and if it were in the 50's and I was going somewhere that a wool blazer is okay to wear, I'd wear it. That being said I'd take a look on Ebay. I got a BR Linen Cotton blazer last year for $35 that's in a perfect shade of navy, looks nice, and fits well. I've worn the heck out of it this year, like once a week since maybe mid-April or earlier. Since new purchases are out of the budget right now, yeah, wear the navy wool blazer. But if it's your only one you may want to save it for more formal occasions, in which case if I were you I might just throw on a cardigan/sweater of some sort that you already own.

Comment

If you feel comfortable in it, it's fine to wear. If you're really hot, look for something else. You can get cheap blazers on eBay. I got a khaki BR linen one for $10.

Comment

Whoops, I basically said what Los said.

Comment

Though I don't normally post, I feel that this may be the proper location to lament the scarcity of the Claiborne stretch cotton blazer that Joe reviewed in February... I can only third the above gentlemen's suggestion of looking to ebay, if you know what you want.

You may want to try a local thrift store, though. Since this will be a more casual summer blazer (I assume), you have a lot more freedom with what you can do to a blazer in terms of D.I.Y. alterations without worrying about ruining an expensive piece of style. In my case, I picked up a thinner wool blazer, handwashed it with a tiny bit of gentle detergent, hung-dry it (out of the sunlight) and partially removed the poly lining from the back (Someone else details the process in the forums, it works nicely!) and went so far as to remove the lower half of the sleeve lining. None of this was particularly good for the life of the blazer, but five dollars on a blazer and an hour of sewing yields a most satisfactory result! Voila, a navy summer blazer, for far less than the Kensington.

Comment

depends on the weight of the fabric and how comfortable you feel with it on. As others have mentioned you can pull it off.

I second the disdain for the target merona blazer. It looks horrible on me as well.
              Check out my men's style and fitness website: www.wellbuiltstyle.com

Stay Fit. Look Sharp.

Comment

Not navy and maybe not in your size but here's an example of something nice for the summer that can be had on the cheap. At this price it may even be worth getting the lining removed. http://www.ebay.com/itm/190865920654...84.m1438.l2649

Comment

I wore a lightweight wool suit at an outdoor wedding this past weekend, 80s and sunny, and it was fine. Wool comes in so many variations, it really depends on what you have.

Comment

Working...
                  X