Light color suit choices based on time of day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Light color suit choices based on time of day

Since summer allows for lighter colored suits, I was wondering what people's thoughts are on when to wear those suits based on time of day. For example, can a light colored suit that you'd wear during the day to a wedding still be applicable at a night time event?

My thoughts are that I'd go light colors during the day and at night only if the event is outside. I feel that if an event is indoors at night, it kind of takes away the seasonal element and thus a more traditional navy or light/dark grey is more appropriate.

What about you guys, do you have guidelines on suit colors based on day/night? Do you ignore the time and simply wear colors appropriate for the season or are you as limiting as I am?

I think you've pretty much nailed it. Outdoor evening events are generally the same as indoor evening events, though. The caveat is outdoor afternoon events that stretch into the evening.

Comment

The rule is if the wedding starts in the day you should wear daytime attire, meaning lighter colors. If it stretches into the night you can still wear those clothes, nobody expects you to change at sundown.

Of course these days it's very common to see tuxedos for a daytime wedding. So few if any would notice if you were in breach of this rule.

Comment

That's what I figured. Though I think one of these days I'll gamble a bit and wear my khaki suit indoors at night. A social experiment to see how out of place it looks if there's no carry over event from the day. I mean if I'm dressed sharp and stay confident in it, maybe it will be in my favor among the sea of blue and gray. Plus figure I should make more use of that suit when the season permits.

Comment

Originally posted by DS2112 View Post
          That's what I figured. Though I think one of these days I'll gamble a bit and wear my khaki suit indoors at night. A social experiment to see how out of place it looks if there's no carry over event from the day. I mean if I'm dressed sharp and stay confident in it, maybe it will be in my favor among the sea of blue and gray. Plus figure I should make more use of that suit when the season permits.
          So many people under-dress for weddings. A khaki suit is still better than not showing up with a jacket at all. If you pull this in fall or winter, though, you'll still look out of place.

Comment

I remember once looking at Jos A Banks list of rules for weddings. One was no tuxes during the day (Yes!).

Right next to it was a picture of a guy in black tie in bright sunshine. (No!)

Comment

Working...
            X