Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seagull 1963 Chronograph - any strap suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seagull 1963 Chronograph - any strap suggestions?

Hello,

Haven't seen much mention of what I think of as an under-appreciated, bargain priced mechanical chronograph. I've had trouble picking out a good strap for it - this is the best I've done (any suggestions would be welcome).

It's a Seagull 1963 chronograph - a (not-sure-how-faithful) reproduction of a chinese military chronograph. It's on the small side for chronographs - 38mm / 18mm lug width. If you go to the chinese watch forum on WatchUSeek, you can find how to order them relatively cheaply (around $200 or so, shipped) directly from a manufacturer.

Thoughts / suggestions? I'm a little too conservative to pull it off with this strap all the time (or rather, I have trouble pairing my wardrobe to it, beyond the khaki pants I wear 80% of the time).

Thanks!

Originally posted by BigBayesian View Post
    Hello,

Haven't seen much mention of what I think of as an under-appreciated, bargain priced mechanical chronograph. I've had trouble picking out a good strap for it - this is the best I've done (any suggestions would be welcome).

It's a Seagull 1963 chronograph - a (not-sure-how-faithful) reproduction of a chinese military chronograph. It's on the small side for chronographs - 38mm / 18mm lug width. If you go to the chinese watch forum on WatchUSeek, you can find how to order them relatively cheaply (around $200 or so, shipped) directly from a manufacturer.

Thoughts / suggestions? I'm a little too conservative to pull it off with this strap all the time (or rather, I have trouble pairing my wardrobe to it, beyond the khaki pants I wear 80% of the time).

Thanks!

18mm is a slim lug size. I have a Seiko FFF mod on a Hirsch Liberty band and love it. Color scheme would also work for this fella, and it seems others have already done it. Check it out:

Comment

Ive been looking really hard at the M186 with roman numerals myself lately

Comment

Originally posted by pierrot View Post
        Ive been looking really hard at the M186 with roman numerals myself lately
        Is that the moonphase chronograph? It's very nice for what it is, but it's a little ornate / over-complicated for me - I tend to wear field watches / simpler dress watches.

I see the appeal though... But good luck finding a watchmaker to service it...

Comment

No its the plain dial, the moonphase thing with the 4 subdials is too busy for me

http://www.usseagull.com/EnProductSh...ssID=96&ID=134

The case and crown seem a little too chunky for me though

Comment

pierrot - that one reminds me a lot of custom watch an asian watch collector had made. He had to have at least 200 made, so he's been selling them off pretty cheaply - $100 shipped. The components are about as high quality as you can get out of China - top grade movement, sapphire crystal, e.t.c.

See if it talks to you...

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f30/red...ck-861474.html
            Last edited by BigBayesian; July 9, 2013, 08:41 AM. Reason: Included link to more recent sales post, cheaper price

Comment

Whoa thats awesome that he went through all that - sounds like it took him a year+ to get done? I wonder how much that cost. I wish Timex or someone would do custom watches like Indochino for suits

Comment

I wonder how much of a market there'd be - but you could probably do made-to-order dial-printing in an efficient way, and then the rest would just be picking hand shape / color, and casing the watch.

I'm waiting for the day we can 3d-print a mechanical movement...

Comment

Well it doesnt even have to be custom dials althought that would be nice - i would settle for mixing and matching existing options - and timex quartz watches are so cheap they could get away with charging double for the same materials

Comment

Timex probably couldn't do it - those things are packaged and shipped LONG before you see them at Target, and part of their financial plan involves that long, cheap, slow manufacturing and shipping process.

You'd need someone fast, just-in-time-y. Email the Warby-Parker guys - I bet there's a few million to be had in the idea.

Comment

Working...
                    X