Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 7/12/2013 - Second-Hand Goods (Thrift, eBay, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FRIDAY CHALLENGE 7/12/2013 - Second-Hand Goods (Thrift, eBay, etc.)

Ok everybody! Some of you may be familiar and some of you may not, but Style Forum has a weekly challenge - a contest of sorts. We're going to give it a shot here on The Dappered Threads because I think it'll be a great thought exercise and will foster interactivity. So without further ado...

Since this is out first challenge, I will explain both the format and this week's challenge. The format is thus:
    1.) A challenge is proposed (typically on a Monday, but we're starting early this time).
    2.) Ideas are bounced around throughout the week, any questions are codified, and guidelines are put into place.
    3.) On Friday, everyone dresses according to the challenge's parameters.
    4.) On Saturday, all challengers are recorded and voting opens to see who best represents the challenge.
    5.) A winner is chosen by majority vote on Sunday, and the winner is responsible for choosing the next week's challenge.

I suspect there will be some stumbling through the first couple of weeks, but we'll keep it up as long as people are participating. I'll talk with a moderator about setting up a poll or editing the OP as necessary for voting on Saturday. So with that said, here we go!

Our inaugural challenge (in keeping with the thrifty spirit of Dappered) will be "Second-Hand Goods". Here are the guidelines...

1.) At least one VISIBLE article of clothing (no underwear) must be second hand. It can be thrifted, craigslisted, ebayed, a hand-me-down or any other method by which you've come across used clothes. Additional second-hand pieces are welcome, but not required.
    2.) The style (casual, formal, etc.) is completely up to you. Judging is based on how good you look, not by how formal you are.
    3.) You will be judged on the "look", NOT ON THE QUALITY OR VALUE of the second-hand article. In other words, it doesn't matter if you scored a $2000 suit for $15 at Goodwill if it doesn't look good on you. A pair of hand-me-down Levi's could beat you fair and square.
    4.) Identify which items are second-hand when you post, and don't be afraid to name-drop if you've got some cool stuff. We can all appreciate a sweet find. It just won't give you any extra credit.

Ok! Questions? Everybody has until Friday to figure out what they want to wear. You can submit early if you like. You can submit more than one outfit, but only the last post will be counted. So if you really like a combination, don't post again. Ready... Set... GO!

[UPDATE 7/13/2013 @ 12:21 PST] VOTING BEGINS NOW!

So we're going to go ahead and close the submissions. Voting starts immediately and will continue until noon PST tomorrow. ANYBODY CAN VOTE!!!

In order by submission date/time:

yoyorobbo

MarkB

LesserBlackDog (BenR)
    yoyorobbo
    10.00%
    MarkB
    13.33%
    LesserBlackDog (BenR)
    13.33%
    BB
    26.67%
    Vicious49
    3.33%
    D-Low
    0.00%
    Furious Styles
    20.00%
    Alan
    13.33%
    Last edited by bruschetta; July 13, 2013, 04:45 PM.

(Continued)

BB

Vicious49

D-Lo

Furious Styles

To clarify, entries will be accepted up until noon on Saturday. This will allow any late posters (or non-US posters) to get the entries in. Voting will last until noon on Sunday. The voting period will be extended if there is insufficient voting.

Keep in mind, everyone! Entering the challenge is all fun, but it will only work if people return to vote. :-)
    Last edited by bruschetta; July 13, 2013, 04:48 PM.

Comment

(continued)

alan
      Last edited by bruschetta; July 13, 2013, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
        Ah, too bad! I will have to sit this one out, but I'm excited to see what people come up with.
        You don't have to submit an entry to vote, and there's always next time. :-)
        Last edited by alan; July 5, 2013, 11:00 PM.

Comment

The only 2nd hand clothes I have are 2 jcrew ludlow blazers I got off eBay but its not the season to be wearing them. Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
            The only 2nd hand clothes I have are 2 jcrew ludlow blazers I got off eBay but its not the season to be wearing them. Oh well.
            Are they tweed? Suck it up! :-)

Any inherited clothes? Heck, it could be a tie or a belt. I bet you've got something in your closet that you don't even remember.
            Last edited by alan; July 6, 2013, 12:00 AM.

Comment

Don't you have any pre-owned watches?
              Ben

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                Are they tweed? Suck it up! :-)
                Actually, they are tweed.

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                Don't you have any pre-owned watches?
                At he moment no. I sold all my watches except for 3 and they were all purchased brand new.

Hmmmm . . . .

Comment

Actually, they are tweed.

At he moment no. I sold all my watches except for 3 and they were all purchased brand new.

Hmmmm . . . .
                  Didn't you pick up some shoes off eBay awhile back?
                  Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Originally posted by MarkB View Post
                    Didn't you pick up some shoes off eBay awhile back?
                    I resold them back on there because my heel kept slipping in them.

Comment

Well I'm doing my warm-up exercises. I'm wearing a thrifted suit and ebayed shoes today. I'll try to get a picture posted if I've got the time. It's a pretty busy day ahead of me.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                        Well I'm doing my warm-up exercises. I'm wearing a thrifted suit and ebayed shoes today. I'll try to get a picture posted if I've got the time. It's a pretty busy day ahead of me.
                        Haha....I busted out some AEs that picked up here on the Threads. I've been dying to wear them and we went to dinner with some friends last night. I'm definitely gonna incorporate them in my Friday challenge outfit.
                        Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Love this idea! I actually just created an account so I could get in on this action.

Comment

Logistical question - where will be post photos on Friday? Here? The WIWT thread? A new thread? I would guess either here or a new thread, to keep the confusion to a minimum.
                            Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett Boesche View Post
                              Love this idea! I actually just created an account so I could get in on this action.
                              Awesome! Lets see whatcha got. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X