Indochino increases prices, no improvement in actual products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indochino increases prices, no improvement in actual products

I have always been a bit of of Indochino apologists, however, with what I have felt is good reason. Their suits seemed to be designed for someone with a slender, athletic build like mine, their customer service is excellent, and I have always had good experiences with their products. Their suits are a fused/half-canvassed hybrid that is a significant step up in quality from any department store suit (but a step down from JCrew, Black Lapel, Dragon Inside etc). Also, with two major sales events a year and a few smaller sales or groupons, you could regularly get one of their essentials suits for under $300.

I viewed Indochino as finding a nice niche in the market. Still inexpensive, yet better quality and a better fit than department store suits. I, like many others here, forget that most men don't want to spend $500+ on a suit. While I have "graduated" to only buying half-canvassed suits with better quality fabrics, I still checked out Indochino's website from time to time as their seasonal lines offer some unique and varied options that are difficult to find anywhere else. That leads their their second niche, fun/unique products that are very difficult to find at a reasonable price elsewhere.

I recommended Indochino to my brother-in-law (who is 24) for suits for his wedding. For him and his groomsmen, it was their first "nice" (aka. non-department store) suit. Indochino worked with them, and each groomsmen got a suit, shirt and tie for $400. I had several people in the wedding come up to me and comment how good their suits and shirts looked and fit. Again, Indochino's niche, a significant step up in quality/fit but not price from department stores.

Which leads me to this, today Indochino announced a price increase for the Essentials line. Their essentials line is now $450, but no improvements in the actual quality of products. Black Lapel and Dragon Inside sell the same basic line of suits only with better quality fabrics and better construction for the same price. Again, while I have "graduated" from Indochino to better quality products, I still enjoy their products. I own 4 suits and 4 shirts from them. They fit me well and look great. While I can feel and notice the difference of a half-canvassed suit with 130's wool, your average person cannot. I feel as if this move to higher prices is quite an arrogant step for Indochino and I'm not sure how well it will turn out.

My friend noticed this today. He's been thinking of purchasing an Indochino suit, but hasn't made the commitment yet. But now the Essentials line is $20 less than a Suit Supply Napoli. Sure, you get $75 worth of tailoring with Indochino, but I only spent $30 on my last Napoli and I got it in two days plus one weekend for the tailor, instead of two months.

I don't wear suits very often, but I've had the fortune of wearing both in the last two weeks, and I can say they're not equivalent. At least previously, I could tell myself that I paid $100 less for the Indochino. Apparently, not anymore.

Comment

I just saw this in my email. I've never bought from them, and I won't bother to investigate this since I'm not in the market right now, but I hope someone can reach out to them and find out if they have in fact made some improvement to justify the cost increase. I just don't see why anyone would pay $450 when you could get JCrew, SS, or Black Lapel for $500-$550 at worst. Hell, my tailor claims to do fully canvassed MTM starting at $750, and I'd guess it's better construction and at least equal fabric.

Comment

Did anyone else get a promo code for $70 off one of their Essential-line suits?

Comment

That's pretty disappointing, but I'm not too broken up. I have one indochino suit, their navy essential, and I only got that because of a promotion that offered a suit, a tie, and a shirt for $320 altogether. At that price it is pretty good, but after coming to Dappered I'm not sure I would have bought from them again at their normal prices. I certainly won't now, so this just gives me an excuse to upgrade to a Ludlow or Suitsupply or something else with my next purchase.

And I'm pretty sure if they aren't proclaiming it from the rooftops on their site, it means their materials and construction haven't changed a bit.

Comment

Working...
          X