Could use some advice in terms of shoe colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could use some advice in terms of shoe colors

I've been keeping an eye on the Nordstrom sale, and there are three casual shoes that have caught my eye. Jack Purcell laced, Jack Purcell laceless (Nordstrom keeps showing the olive version, just change the color option to see the one I'm referring to), and Chuck Taylor laceless are the options I'm considering. I like the color of the last one best, but it might or might not fit me. I like the second option, but I'm a little unsure, how versatile is a blue casual shoe? And then the first option, which also seems like a good color and design that could go with anything. So what are your thoughts on this matter?

And while I have your attention, there's another question that I've been considering. I spend a lot of time browsing ebay, so sometimes I see things that are off the beaten path, in terms of color and design combinations. On here I see a lot of credit given to walnut Strands, black Park Avenues, and brown/burgundy just about anything else. But what about a black Strand? Or a brown Park Avenue? What about a black blucher, could that ever be a good idea, or is it mixing formality levels too much? Thanks guys!

Nice kicks. Blue is one of the most versatile colors, especially navy.

Imo, color can only limit the upper level of formality. That is, a black shoe can run the gamut from super formal (opera pumps) to super casual (black sneakers). A pink shoe, on the other hand, can only be casual. This means that a black blucher and a brown oxford aren't really mixed in formality, because the two properties (color vs. shoe form) are not mutually limiting. In your specific examples, I think a brown Park Avenue is a phenomenal choice because it can be dressed up way more than most brown shoes. I'm not a huge fan of medallions on black shoes, but black Strands are pretty stylish.

Now, that being said, color and material, when considered together, can limit the formality of a shoe in both directions. Good luck successfully pulling off a black patent leather moccasin, for instance.
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DXLi View Post
      Good luck successfully pulling off a black patent leather moccasin, for instance.
      Don't tell me what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Trueflame View Post
        I've been keeping an eye on the Nordstrom sale, and there are three casual shoes that have caught my eye. Jack Purcell laced, Jack Purcell laceless (Nordstrom keeps showing the olive version, just change the color option to see the one I'm referring to), and Chuck Taylor laceless are the options I'm considering. I like the color of the last one best, but it might or might not fit me. I like the second option, but I'm a little unsure, how versatile is a blue casual shoe? And then the first option, which also seems like a good color and design that could go with anything. So what are your thoughts on this matter?

And while I have your attention, there's another question that I've been considering. I spend a lot of time browsing ebay, so sometimes I see things that are off the beaten path, in terms of color and design combinations. On here I see a lot of credit given to walnut Strands, black Park Avenues, and brown/burgundy just about anything else. But what about a black Strand? Or a brown Park Avenue? What about a black blucher, could that ever be a good idea, or is it mixing formality levels too much? Thanks guys!
        Trueflame, The laced Jack Purcells look like classic sneakers to me. I'd go with those.

To answer your second question, my opinion aligns with what DXLi wrote. I owned black Strands until my dog chewed holes in the uppers, and I would own a brown Park Avenue if I worked in a more conservative place and I was still in the US. Black bluchers/derbys occupy a strange area between formality and informality. They're perfectly acceptable, but I don't know when I'd have cause to wear them.

Originally posted by Officer Rex Bishop View Post
        Don't tell me what to do.

Comment

I'm sure we can all agree that this is the epitome of stylishness. And thank you for the responses so far.

@DXLi, navy and blue are very versatile in general, I know. But with a casual shoe I feel like I'll generally be wearing jeans too often for it to be useful. On the other hand, it could be good with most chinos... Hm.

@Bruschetta, thanks, that was my opinion on the bluchers as well. And the laced sneaker is growing on me, actually. All the sneakers I currently own are black or mainly black, so this could be just what I need.

And I know that black Strands and brown Park Avenues are both perfectly acceptable. It's more a matter of optimization. As in, would I get more use out of a brown Strand or a brown Park Ave? Or a black Strand, or a black Park Ave? And aside from the most formal of occasions, would a black strand be as appropriate as a Park Avenue?

Comment

Pulled the trigger on the two Jack Purcells. At worst if I end up disliking them, I can return them and no harm done.

Comment

I think you made a good choice. I'd be wearing these mostly with jeans too so I don't think navy would be that great. Warm Sand and Olive would both work IMO.
              Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

Comment

Working...
              X