Straw Hat advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well... you are in the south right?

There are a lot of things they do in the south that to some people seem stuck in time. Like the confederate flag. But somehow it works for them down there.

Comment

I do live in the deep south, but I am not from here; the confederate flag thing strikes me as horrifying, and I'm glad I live in an area where I never see it. However, I'm getting this hat primarily for a trip to a conference in Africa. If I like it, I may keep wearing it when I get back, sure. I do like some traditional things (seersucker for one), but the boater hat seems like it's calling a shot, like wearing a patchwork madras suit.

I'm skeptical of hats in general, so this may be its only use.

Comment

I would really get the panama if I were you. Panamas are just so classic. Another issue is that they are the most practical for actually protecting you from the sun and heat.

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post
          s:

1. I need a straw hat, right?
          Any help is appreciated.
          One option is a cotton or linen flat cap - the problem with straw may be packing it (which is one of the reasons people like Panamas).

I have 3 hats from http://www.etsy.com/shop/DaquinoHats - and I can't recommend Luisa enough. It is easier to transport but it won't provide the same level of sun protection wider brims might.

Tod

Comment

Get the Panama hat. Style takes a back seat to, you know, not getting skin cancer.

Comment

Boater looks rakish with a suit, but a panama is a better sun-hat and looks better with an odd jacket or an open neck.

Also, my understanding is that you want to avoid cheap synthetic panamas because although they look similar they won't breathe at all, and your head will broil.

Comment

Hey BB, I was thinking that we may have discussed hats a little while back, so I did a quick search here in the threads. Found this little exchange:

http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...l=1#post113625

Just curious if those articles helped any of the decision-making? They might be worth a review. Maybe. Maybe not.

I still think a panama-type hat would suit you best for *this* particular application/scenario, although they are not my favorite, stylewise. That "Fields" fedora that Shomas linked to looks pretty sweet, but I wonder how much less coverage it will provide vs a panama. Personally, I prefer trilbies, but as Shomas (I think) noted earlier, those won't do much at all as far as coverage for your face or neck; just the top of a bald(ing?) head like mine. Doh!

Comment

Yeah, sorry that I forgot about the details of that exchange -- I did read those articles at the time, and they were helpful. I think the "Fields" looks a little Panama...

Comment

I have had one of these in the "natural" color from Bailey of Hollywood for about 3 years now. You can see it in my avatar. It gets a lot of use in the summer, and I love it. It is, in fact, a panama hat--says so inside the brim, i.e., it was handwoven in Panama and it has the panama/fedora look. But it is a natural straw color and not a bleached white, so to me it's a bit more understated than the usual white panama hat.

One tip about wearing a hat like this. It shouldn't be too big, should fit a bit snug, and there should about an inch of space between top of your ear and where the hat starts. Otherwise it can look a bit clownish and it won't stay on in a gust, etc.

Also, don't be afraid to wear it with anything. As you can see in my avatar, I wear it with T-shirts. I also wear it more dressed up, but it really can go with anything.
                    Last edited by Duvel; June 26, 2013, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Great, thanks -- if the Fields doesn't work I'll try the Spencer. Good tip about leaving an inch above the ear...

Comment

Go with the classic Panama style hat (which is actually from Ecuador not Panama). It will look great and protect you. The ideal brim should be in the +/- 3" range. The color is traditionally a non-bleached off white or cream color. There are multiple styles of brim and top as you can see here:

http://www.fashion-stylist.net/blog/...anama-Hats.jpg

They are all great and your choice should be based on your preference. Hats will cost from $20-$1000 based on quality and branding. The price difference will mainly be a factor of the density of the weave (weaves per square inch) and the consistency of the fibers and the quality of the finished edges. The higher quality hats have higher weaves and impeccable edges. The higher weave count creates a hat that is more durable, more protective, and better looking (at least up close!). Higher weave count hats are more flexible and can actually be rolled up an packed away in your suitcase and when unrolled will pop back into their original shape (they are steam shaped on a last, much like a high end shoe). Mid range weaves will be flexible but the fibers will begin to break down quickly the more they are flexed. Cheap hats are stiff and less flexible and you can see the split in fibers. Any hat you get should have a built in sweat band. Leather is traditional but modern Panama's will have nifty bands made of coolmax and other types of fabric. With some hat manufacturers you can get different hat bands (for above the brim) of color and fabric other than the traditional black grosgrain and switch them out as you like. I personally really like a silk navy band.

If this is just for two weeks i would just get something under $50 that you like. If you want to invest in a fine hat you can really have some fun in the $100-$200 range. Try looking on websites like Fedoralounge.com for advice. Brentblack.com has some really nice high end hats that will wreck your wallet in no time. I've purchased hats from a variety of local stores, ebay, and from panamahatsdirectdotcom (which had nice hats for the price but i did once have an issue with a hat damaged in shipping and the company basically said damage in international shipping is out of their control. They did eventually replace the hat for the cost of another shipping charge. This was years ago and their packaging at the time was not adequate for international shipping. I'm not sure if they have made any changes so you would be best to make inquiries before making any international purchases that don't have some type of buyer protection involved).

Regardless, you should wear linen with your Panama hat and occasionally take it off and fan yourself with it. This is a timeless affectation that is perfectly acceptable. Lastly always be close to a chilled beverage and enjoy the summer!

Comment

BB, the Bailey hats normally come in under $100. I think I paid $75 for mine a few years ago.

Comment

I was at Saks Off 5th earlier today and just happened to try on some hats when my wife thought 1 of them looked good. I was shocked because she never likes any of them (besides a newsboy cap) on me. Which normally sucks because I've always wanted a fedora ever since I saw Indiana Jones wearing one. Not sure how or when I'll wear it, but I was so excited that a hat looked decent on me that I bought it. It's a house brand 'Black' that is made in Italy and I was surprised that the label said it's 100% paper. Cost me $35 on sale.

Feel free to share any opinions on it or whether I should return it. I'm not even sure what type of hat it is (fedora, panama, etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                              I was at Saks Off 5th earlier today and just happened to try on some hats when my wife thought 1 of them looked good. I was shocked because she never likes any of them (besides a newsboy cap) on me. Which normally sucks because I've always wanted a fedora ever since I saw Indiana Jones wearing one. Not sure how or when I'll wear it, but I was so excited that a hat looked decent on me that I bought it. It's a house brand 'Black' that is made in Italy and I was surprised that the label said it's 100% paper. Cost me $35 on sale.

Feel free to share any opinions on it or whether I should return it. I'm not even sure what type of hat it is (fedora, panama, etc).
                              Looks good! I think "paper" is just describing the type of straw. Do a google search for "paper straw hat".

Comment

Working...
                              X