Patch pockets and pocket squares ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patch pockets and pocket squares ....

So my thought is not to sport a pocket square with a path pocket ... Not sure if this has been discussed previously, if it has , excuse the redundancy ...

My thought is, not to wear a square with a path pocket... Is there a rule on this?

I think this guy looks boss with his patch pockets and pocket square.

Comment

Or if you're more into conservative colors, this looks good to me:

Comment

I may be mistaken, and anyone feel free to correct me. I think that "traditionally" patch pockets are casual and pocket squares are formal. However, those lines are completely blurred and intermingled in today's dress code. If you like it, go for it. If not, don't. I personally like the look, and have partaken.

Comment

I am certainly no expert, but VoxSartoria's "Practical Thoughts on Coherent Combinations" post (or whatever the actual name is) said that pocket squares started out -- and in the most traditional circles still are -- a casual touch, and more "country" than "city". I was surprised. Perhaps he's wrong, though.

Comment

Originally posted by BB View Post
            Or if you're more into conservative colors, this looks good to me:

Looks good, but it doesn't have a patch chest pocket, so it just looks normal. I've always thought it seemed a bit awkward to try to do a pocket square in my patch pocket blazer, (dont have any full suits w/ patch pockets).

Comment

That's what the pocket is for. Doesn't matter if it's patch or not, stick a PS in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
                That's what the pocket is for. Doesn't matter if it's patch or not, stick a PS in it.
                This.

Comment

Second picture looks good. First picture.... ugh. But I don't think that's the pocket square's fault, I just really dislike how the chest pocket is a patch, and the other pockets are both flaps and patches.

Comment

I've got another Lands End jacket that has patch pockets with flaps (that one is their Oxford jacket). I think it looks fine, and it helps keep stuff in there if you happen to use them. Patch pockets are casual and rustic, so there's no formal rules about how they hould look (you'll notice a variety of shapes, sizes, etc).

Comment

@BB, Can that "Practical Thoughts..." post still be found online anywhere? I was looking for it yesterday while trying to figure out pocket squares in general and could not find it.

Or does anyone have a copy?

Comment

And by the way, the chest pocket on that grey sport coat posted above is indeed a patch pocket. Notice the curved seam underneath.

Comment

Murph, search this forum to find the thread with that title -- near the bottom of that thread DXLi posted a link to a cached copy (with some reference to a million Internet-bucks or something).

Comment

Originally posted by Murph65 View Post
                            @BB, Can that "Practical Thoughts..." post still be found online anywhere? I was looking for it yesterday while trying to figure out pocket squares in general and could not find it.

Or does anyone have a copy?
                            http://web.archive.org/web/201207110...-for-beginners

That'll be another million, please. In space bucks this time.
                            Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Comment

Space bucks it is. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X