No announcement yet.

Some Rules I Break And Why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@Morgan Liu reminded me of one of mine, although I'm left handed, I wear my watch on my left wrist. I'll also wear damn near any shoe with shorts. Short of dressy balmorals and boots.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Originally posted by ajk170 View Post
      Really? You do that?!
      Only when the mood strikes me.

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
        @Morgan Liu reminded me of one of mine, although I'm left handed, I wear my watch on my left wrist.
        You're a monster.

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
        It's not even a rule thing I just feel weird wearing jeans (even trim, fitting, dark, perfectly-length ones) with balmorals. I didn't even know about the rule for a while, I guess it just seemed off.
        I wear my Allen Edmonds McTavishes with dark jeans, but I agree that oxfords with jeans is a bit odd. Jeans call for casual shoes or boots.

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
          @Morgan Liu reminded me of one of mine, although I'm left handed, I wear my watch on my left wrist. I'll also wear damn near any shoe with shorts. Short of dressy balmorals and boots.
          Another lefty wearing on left here. Originally learned to deal with left wearing due to my original 'nice' watch (high school graduation gift--I think it was Kenneth Cole?) having a metal bracelet with a one-sided clasp which would pop open too easily if I wore it on my right wrist. When I came back to wearing watches (after grad school / starting work), I tried wearing on right and it gets in the way too much with mousing--I feel like I'd scratch up watches too easily that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
            I'm another NYC biglaw lawyer. I dress very conservatively for court and/or client meetings, but those don't happen that often. For the rest of the time, I wear patterned shirts, colorful socks, brown shoes (of various shades and configurations), pocket squares (not perfectly matching my ties), etc. in various configurations that amount to tasteful, yet hopefully somewhat interesting, business-casual looks. Any of you who've seen me on the WIWT thread can tell me if I'm coloring too far outside of the lines, but I don't think I am. I've never gotten any pushback, anyway. In fact, the only comments I've ever gotten were from a partner who commented with approval a couple of times on my shoes and my tie. And I am most definitely not making it rain. I suppose it could just be my firm, though - I don't have experience anywhere else.
            Bam -- was actually thinking of many of your WIWT posts in attempting my earlier explanation (which hopefully wasn't taken as mean, Brusch and/or OP). The "making it rain" list is generally stuff I wouldn't want to wear in any context, but to each his own.

Comment

balmorals with jeans looks a little off but I think bluchers with suits is perfectly ok.

Comment

I'm also a NYC lawyer and I agree with Shomas. Most partners and associates in my office dress very conservatively, wear exclusively white/blue dress shirts, etc. But I wear striped/plaid shirts, my moustache tie bar, colorful socks, my brown suit, etc. and feel just fine about it. But if I'm going to court/a client meeting, I'll wear blue/dark grey suit, white/bleu shirt, navy/red tie.

Comment

Originally posted by toomoody View Post
                  I'm also a NYC lawyer and I agree with Shomas. Most partners and associates in my office dress very conservatively, wear exclusively white/blue dress shirts, etc. But I wear striped/plaid shirts, my moustache tie bar, colorful socks, my brown suit, etc. and feel just fine about it. But if I'm going to court/a client meeting, I'll wear blue/dark grey suit, white/bleu shirt, navy/red tie.
                  And this is why I'm glad we're all different. It'd be a sad world if everyone dressed exactly the same as me (I'd definitely be in that more conservative boat).

Comment

Originally posted by toomoody View Post
                    Wow. You are a nonconforming rebel son-of-a-gun!

Comment

OP: I don't think any of these are terribly bad, though to be avoided for sure. If you went to court today and didn't start your murder defense case with a terrible joke then pat yourself on the back and reward yourself with that matching pocket square.

As for my rule breaks they are repeats of many others: i only have balmorals for dress shoes and wear them with anything i want, i don't get all my clothes tailored to the full, i wear my watch on my lefty left (never felt right on my right wrist), and for my unique-ish contribution i wear my button ups untucked more than i should.

Comment

Working...
                      X