Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Well, they don't *look* like dead fish." (Help me wear salmon shorts).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emperor
    replied
    Grey being always a good option to every color should do it, even white and navy will be safe.

Leave a comment:

• Teej
    replied
    Originally posted by jwest View Post
    I've got shorts and slim chino's in that color and love them. Don't give into the hate...
    Seconded. I've got slim chinos in salmon. Well technically they are "smoke red" but my friends call them salmon pants. They don't like them but I do. I think they look great. Definitely make them the statement piece though and don't go too loud with your other colors.

Leave a comment:

• Mikey
    replied
    I have salmon/coral jeans (they lean a little bit oranger than salmon, I guess), and I like to pair them with greens all the time. Of course, navy, white, gray, black all work (although personally I'm not really a fan of white with them... something about it looks a little bit... unanchored to me; washes you out a bit; I'm a firm believer that white needs to be anchored by something dark or a medium gray). Olive is a personal favorite. Any shade of blue has potential, although turquoise is starting to push it.

Leave a comment:

• dash41
    replied
    I definitely second wearing a white or navy colored shirt. The salmon colored shorts are your "statement" color, so definitely go more neutral with everything else. I'm not sure if I would go with a mint colored shirt. I tried it on once, but it seemed too daring, even for someone more fashion forward. I think that color combo goes much better with women.

Leave a comment:

• jwest
    replied
    I've got shorts and slim chino's in that color and love them. Don't give into the hate...

Leave a comment:

• drocpsu
    replied
    How dare America's youth try to look respectable and not like a bunch of hobos or gangsters. Shame on you all.

With that being said....I frequently look at "salmon" colored shorts in stores and inevitably always end up not getting them. I feel like they are too trendy and will probably fall out of style in a season or two. I know they've gotten big over the past few summers, but I still feel like it's probably a trend that will slow down in the not too distant future. I end up sticking with classic colors (khaki, gray, navy). Yet at the same time, something about the brighter colors still draws me in. haha

Leave a comment:

• BB
    replied
    I don't understand that tumblr -- is it making fun of the fact that some guys wear pink? Is this the third grade or something, where we assume that pink=gay and gay=cooties, so pink=cooties?

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied
    There's nothing wrong with that color, or any of the shorts displayed on that tumblr.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    I was just wearing my "mango" colored shorts yesterday. I don't think there's anything wrong with the color - it's summer and you're wearing shorts already, you're supposed to dress a little less seriously.

Because they're a bit loud I usually pair them with other elements that are fairly understated, like a polo or henley in white or navy. Yesterday I was wearing the shorts, a charcoal t-shirt, and off-white canvas sneakers. Pretty simple.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied
    Originally posted by alan View Post
    That tumble feed needs to get over itself
    "tumblr"... stupid auto correct...

Leave a comment:

• pfmicks
    replied
    I just picked up a pair of salmon color shorts for the summer, and I think they're great! I live in Chicago, and I would say it's almost common to see a gent rocking this color. The times I've worn mine I paired it with a darker gray/black top, and if you daring I think it works really well with a mint colored top!

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied
    That tumble feed needs to get over itself. There's nothing inherently wrong with those shorts. A lot of those guys are dressed sloppily, but that's no fault of the shorts.

Without seeing the particular shorts in question, I would say a polo in white or blue is completely safe. There plenty of combinations that would work, but those two require zero brain power.
    Last edited by alan; June 20, 2013, 09:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• "Well, they don't *look* like dead fish." (Help me wear salmon shorts).

Hi all. Yesterday, due to a combination of factors (namely, my lack of enough shorts to get through a fast-approaching vacation and a Macy's gift card that's been burning a hole in my pocket), I purchased a pair of salmon-colored shorts. I'm generally fairly reserved in the colors and patterns I wear. I fall firmly into the third category described here.

But these were a steal, they fit well (trim, fall above the knee) and they were (surprisingly) the most muted color option available. They're a darker, faded salmon, but they're still probably the loudest item in my wardrobe at the moment.

So, that being said, two questions for you guys:

What are your thoughts on salmon-colored shorts? Too preppy? Or okay with the right outfit?

...which leads to my second question: What should I wear with these that won't make me look like a preppy a**hole. I'd prefer not to end up on this page.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by @andrew; June 20, 2013, 09:10 AM.
Working...
X