Favorite watched around $500?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite watched around $500?

If you could pick out any watch in the $500 range as a gift, what would you choose? A friend wants to buy her husband a new anniversary watch.
    You guys would know best!

For the sake of pure horology, look at Seiko's mid-range models (SARB range). Mostly available through Japanese sellers like Seiya Japan and Chino Watches.

To get the most bells and whistles out of a complicated sports watch, look at the higher-end Citizen Eco-Drives or Casio Edifice watches.

To get the Swiss reputation (and connotation of luxury), look at Victorinox, Tissot, Hamilton, and Christopher Ward. A lot of stuff from these makers will clock in above $500, but you can find a surprising number of models at or below $500 as well - both quartz and mechanical movements.

Depending on the person's lifestyle, I might make more specific recommendations - the Christopher Ward Malvern is a classic, elegant dress watch on leather strap for someone who spends most of his time in the office and appreciates the finer things in life.

For someone with a more active, rough-and-tumble lifestyle, something like the quartz Victorinox Alliance (on bracelet or leather) is tough and sporty but still sophisticated enough to mark a major life milestone.

Ben

Comment

Ben chose 2 of the best brands in that price range. Also check out Hamilton. I'd personally go with Christopher Ward since they have a few that have caught my eye in the $500-$750 range. They just had a 15% off sale for fathers day that would have brought some of those in to your sub $500 range.

Comment

I agree with the above as well. Maintenance on the above pieces will be cheaper as they are regularly available movements in the automatics and not some small in-house movement company that may go out of business soon and parts will be hard to find.

Comment

I will echo what Ben said with regards to knowing how your friend will use the watch. How do you think he will most use the timepiece? Is he already in to watches, and if so what is missing from his collection?

Comment

There are a ton of boutique offerings in this price range, both with Swiss and Japanese movements. Some of the name brands in this range would be Tissot, Hamilton, Steinhart. Maybe on the high end of this range are Ball, Oris, TAG, Fortis, Raymond Weil, and Baume & Mercier.

Of these suggestions I personally love the offerings of Hamilton and Steinhart, but it really depends on the style of watch that your friend is after.

Comment

Highly doubtful that you will be able to find any from Ball, Oris, TAG, Fortis, Raymond Weil, and Baume & Mercier for under $500.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                For the sake of pure horology, look at Seiko's mid-range models (SARB range). Mostly available through Japanese sellers like Seiya Japan and Chino Watches.

To get the most bells and whistles out of a complicated sports watch, look at the higher-end Citizen Eco-Drives or Casio Edifice watches.

To get the Swiss reputation (and connotation of luxury), look at Victorinox, Tissot, Hamilton, and Christopher Ward. A lot of stuff from these makers will clock in above $500, but you can find a surprising number of models at or below $500 as well - both quartz and mechanical movements.

Depending on the person's lifestyle, I might make more specific recommendations - the Christopher Ward Malvern is a classic, elegant dress watch on leather strap for someone who spends most of his time in the office and appreciates the finer things in life.

For someone with a more active, rough-and-tumble lifestyle, something like the quartz Victorinox Alliance (on bracelet or leather) is tough and sporty but still sophisticated enough to mark a major life milestone.

LBD- excellent suggestions! I need to stop reading these watch threads...

Comment

Originally posted by bremersm View Post
                  Highly doubtful that you will be able to find any from Ball, Oris, TAG, Fortis, Raymond Weil, and Baume & Mercier for under $500.
                  Yea if you can find Baume & Merciers under $1k I'd love to know where let alone $500.
                  My cocktail videos >

Comment

Originally posted by tdig View Post
                    Yea if you can find Baume & Merciers under $1k I'd love to know where let alone $500.
                    B&M sub-1K, well women's anyway. There's usually a 10% off coupon to be found too.
                    http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Wat...t=Lowest+Price

Comment

I see Raymond Weil at or around $500 at Costco pretty regularly.

http://www.costco.com/Raymond-Weil-M...100019870.html

I've seen pre-owned, entry-level Ball watches go in the $650-800 range. I don't know much about Oris or the other brands, but I'm sure some entry-level TAG models go for $500 or so pre-owned. I see new quartz TAGs, mostly Formula 1s and Aquaracers, at Costco for $700-1000. But I would probably stick with new watches for a gift, unless the recipient has expressed an interest in pre-owned watches from a particular brand.

$500 can get you a really nice watch without needing to go pre-owned.
                      Ben

Comment

Does it make me a watch snob if once I pass the CW range, I discount B&M, Tag, and anything else that is below Omega? I figure if I'm paying over $1K, might as well skip over the $1K-$4K range and go for something I really want.

Comment

As long as I'm here, I'll throw in a recommendation for the Tissot PRC200. This one gets a lot of love from watch enthusiasts. Swiss quartz, sapphire crystal, comes in a few different colors, and available for $350 or so on leather or bracelet.

Ben

Comment

And from my own collection, I would certainly recommend a Hamilton Jazzmaster. The Jazzmaster Viewmatics seem to be available right around $500.

Ben

Comment

This site is quite handy in compiling watches for sale. Most I see are pre-owned but some are new and most are in great condition anyways. Most of the data comes from watchuseek forums (they are quite large) but some rolex forums and others do show up from time to time. If your hubby is not picky (although as a gift might be tricky) you can find some pre-owned but pretty much brand spanking new watches still with manufacture warranty on there. That's how I landed my pretty much brand new Archimede outdoor for $550, with box, papers to boot. (Owner had it for less than half a year, only wore it twice indoors)

http://www.lionseek.com/watches

A word of warning to others, you will start checking this site way to regularly to land some great deals on rarer watch brands that provide amazing value (Sinn, Archimede)

Just saw a 2 week old Archimede Outdoor sold for $400 But I wear mine everyday and its an amazing watch, so I recommend it whole heartily especially at these crazy prices. (only down fall it the watch face is small, which is perfect for me due to my tiny wrists, but do keep that in mind)
                              Last edited by aqwayne93; June 18, 2013, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X