Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most versatile top coat color?

I recently picked up another Joe suggested outerwear:

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=32658&vid=1&pid=875022&scid=8750220 02

I'm digging it but wondering if I made the right choice as far as versatility goes. Does the suit rule apply to outer wear? You know, how a black suit is the most unversatile color ever?

http://threads.dappered.com/topic/ba...at-grey-better

Comment

Acoustic, I think it depends on how much you care. Do you care if your coat is a perfect match to your outfit? I don't. Unless you're wearing a chocolate brown suit with brown shoes then I think you're fine. Coats are meant to be taken off anyways. However, thats not the general consensus on the thread whiteknight linked. I think it's up to you.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

For whatever it's worth, I've been "third" guessing my decision and with my 50% of coupon, I may be going back to BR this weekend to re-purchase the one you linked. I regularly receive comments that I look good in black (medium Caucasian complexion, black hair), so maybe it'll work for me.

I tried J. Crew's Mayfair topcoat in graphite herringbone and while it's definitely better material than the BR coat, the sizing doesn't work as well for me. I'm right between the M and the L-trim and the difference in fit is in the shoulders, which are not easy to tailor. Without a jacket on, the M fits me great. With a jacket on, the M is too small and the L-trim is still a bit too large. It's also a lot more expensive, even when comparing sale prices.

Comment

I think a grey is the most versatile but as an overcoat black is almost always ok.

Comment

Working...
          X