Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's that smell? - all things fragrant (colognes, parfums, aftershaves, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Margotron View Post
    Anyone familiar with histoires de parfums 1828?

http://www.basenotes.net/products/1828
    Nope, sounds intriguing though. Lucky Scent has decants: http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/secti...fums/1828.html

Comment

Terre d'Hermes today

Comment

Poo. "L'Incandescent" from SF just recommended a bunch of others. Spent way too much $$$. Submitted 3 invoices today to different clients so I don't feel too bad ...

Comment

Fred, why not get the 1.5ml spray bottles?

Comment

Oh I meant for the samples, I did the 11 best sampler pack and picked the 1.5ml spray bottles for about $10 more, not a fan of the daub method

Comment

Well I did Creed Aventus yesterday. I must say, I really do see what all the hype is about. It smells fantastic. It really wears well over time. Trying out the Green Irish Tweed today and I'm not a huge fan. There's an element to it that reminds me of walking by an Abercrombie & Fitch in the mall.
              "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

It's funny the mentions of Cool Water...I got a tiny sample of it as some promotion at the start of the school year in college circa 1997 and stretched that sample out for MONTHS (only for the most critical evenings out, one dab) as a poor college student. That then became my go-to cologne for years. I am pretty unoriginal when it comes to the scents these days...I have the Polo Green (which is very HS, but I love the scent), Aqua Di Gio (my wife got it for me, love this in summer time), Old Spice (cheap and amazing how often I've gotten female compliments on it) and Bleu de Chanel (a bit too pungent...but every guy in my office wears this stuff). I have to say the Cool Water rakes in the most compliments of anything. Was thinking of getting Le Male as my wife is insane for the stuff whenever I give her a sample of it from a magazine.

Comment

TF Oud Wood yesterday

Comment

Yatagan today, other sort of old-fashioned scent

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn
                      Anything light and non-cloying for the wife?
                      Well, NOT Musc Ravageur. LOL - A fragcomm hit for sure, in the colder months, but certainly not light. Oof!

BTW Fred, I love that you snagged a bunch of stuff while drunk posting. LOL - I too have clicked "checkout" a few times when I might not have done so sober. Ah well... Enjoy your new scents, man! You're really getting into this!

Comment

Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
                        not a fan of the daub method
                        Can't stand the daub method. Not at all representative of how a scent is going to work on you, IMO, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by dan4 View Post
                          Currently I'm burning through a bottle of Davidoff Hot Water, I don't mind it but it's nothing special, at least it lasts unlike the 30 second wonder Davidoff Adventure. It's winter here and it works pretty well.

Cool Water lasts pretty well on me and I like it, it's the only Davidoff I would buy again. Another unoriginal is Aqua Di Gio.
                          I was really looking forward to Hot Water when I first heard of it, but never really liked it enough to grab a bottle.

AdG is certainly played-out, as it were. So many dudes basically *bathe* in it. The Jersey Shore thing kinda took hold with it too. So it has a bit of that kinda vibe going too. Shame, because it's a nice scent, but much too common now and oversprayed in general. All, IMO, I guess... but it's true. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Starbreaker View Post
                            I have the Polo Green (which is very HS, but I love the scent),
                            and Bleu de Chanel (a bit too pungent...but every guy in my office wears this stuff). I have to say the Cool Water rakes in the most compliments of anything. Was thinking of getting Le Male as my wife is insane for the stuff whenever I give her a sample of it from a magazine.
                            I wore Polo (green) back in HS ('85-'86-ish) - in fact pretty much every guy in my HS did, and man we flippin' POURED that stuff on. Literally. Mine was a splash bottle and it certainly got splashed about. It was sooooo strong, but the girls loved it, so we complied. LOL It has gone through a serious reformulation, so if you buy a recent bottle it will not be the same juice you recall from back in the day. IIRC, their "Modern Reserve" is maybe a little closer to the older version - and there's a knock-off scent (one of the Walmart/Meijer types - the brand name escapes me now, but they make a bunch of knock-offs) that is VERY close to the smell of vintage Polo (green). It probably doesn't last but an hour or so though, as they are usually weaker concentrations (EdC in some instances).

Re BdC: I really like the smell of this one on paper, but every time I've tried it on my skin, some note in their really bugs me. Like makes me gag/sneeze/etc. I *think* it is an incense note. Dunno for sure.

If you get Le Male, I'd highly advise you go light on the trigger with it. It can get VERY cloying, and you can really overwhelm those around you quite quickly. YMMV, of course.

** EDIT **: The Polo green knockoff brna dis "Classic Match" (I think). Walmart sells it (as do other chain supermarts) for like $8 a bottle or so. They have tons of "their version of" many popular scents. Some decent, others quite sucky.
                            Last edited by yoyorobbo; June 19, 2013, 04:55 PM. Reason: found the knockoff name, I *think*

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
                              TF Oud Wood yesterday
                              Would like to try this one out one of these days. There was a HUGE oud push a little while back and everyone seemed to be jumping on board. The TF house is one that I'd imagine could get it right. I want to try some of their Tuscan Leather someday too. My only TF frag currently is Tobacco Vanille, which is very nice in the Wintertime.

So what was your take on Oud Wood, Fred?
                              Last edited by yoyorobbo; June 19, 2013, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
                                Well I did Creed Aventus yesterday. I must say, I really do see what all the hype is about. It smells fantastic. It really wears well over time. Trying out the Green Irish Tweed today and I'm not a huge fan. There's an element to it that reminds me of walking by an Abercrombie & Fitch in the mall.
                                Ah... cool, Greg! Glad to hear you dug Aventus. I wonder which variety (batch/lot) you have there. Did I already ask you this? LOL - Getting forgetful here, I guess... Summer has taken over muh brain. Was it more fruity and less ashy/smokey or vice versa? Or more of a balanced blend?

Re GIT: I really can't think of what you're picking up on there, with the A&F connection. Their most popular scent, Fierce, is seemingly (and I've heard, quite literally) pumped throughout the store via the ventilation system. That one smells very similar to a few other fragrances on the market, all in varying degrees, but very similar in some facets for sure. The ones that come to mind are Chanel's Platinum Egoiste (which I actually like, and plan to get a bottle of someday - it's similar to that A&F thing, but more grown-up somehow; *classy* really), one of the Mont Blanc scents (I can never recall which one - Legend, maybe?), and even one of the cheapie Playboy scents (I wanna say either Hollywood or New York). But honestly I've never heard GIT thrown into that mix, nor have I ever drawn that comparison personally at all. Of course, we all work differently - and your nose is just that... yours - so that's an interesting opinion. Thanks for the personal take.
                                Last edited by yoyorobbo; June 19, 2013, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X