Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's that smell? - all things fragrant (colognes, parfums, aftershaves, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure if they make it anymore (I've stopped wearing it recently as I'm trying some new scents)... but I wore Victoria's Secret Very Sexy for Him cologne all through college and beyond and never received anything but excellent comments.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
      Okay, after reading a few things on various fragrance threads/forums about affordable scents I recently picked up two oldies: Nautica Voyage and Grey Flannel ...

... Polo Sport ... I don't have a favorite scent in this realm though I've tried and liked Acqua di Gio and heard great things about some of Creed's fragrances.

(Speaking of which, how would one classify Aventus?)

Grey Flannel is... oof. I got a large bottle for like $10 but it's just violet. More than one spray and you're choking on it. Smells a lot like... baby powder or something. Glad it was so cheap, because it's not something I can see myself wearing very often (I'm only 24).

Other fragrances I currently own are Polo Black ...(I've had this one for a while and I guess it's my 'dressy' scent because that's when I tend to bust it out) and ... actually that's it right now. I used to have terre d'Hermes but I unfortunately ran out.
      Hey man, sorry for the delay - slowly getting caught up here.

Nautica Voyage is a really nice cheapie (meaning a good one for a low price - not that it's cheap and it sucks). I don't own it, but I've tried it a few times. It had a little too much of a clean-sheets/laundry thing (I think) for me to want to wear it very often, so I passed. But many, many folks have it in their collections, alongside some real heavy-hitters. So not a bad one at all for that fresh, clean side of the spectrum.

Polo Sport ... ahhh... talk about a scent memory; it's one of my strongest. I didn't wear it for very long; only had one smaller bottle (1.7 oz, maybe?) back in '93-'94-ish. I actually bought it right before going on a vacation to Europe. It was actually pretty risky trying a new scent (exclusively) on a two week trip, but I was young(ish) - what did I know? I can't say I really liked it, because I never got another bottle of it once that one was gone, but I did mix it into my rotation once I returned home. It's just that I wore only Polo Sport on that vacation, and it was pretty unique smelling, for the times, IMO, so it really tied itself closely to the memories of that trip. Anytime I smelled it after that time period, I was IMMEDIATELY transported (well, in mind and spirit, at least) back to Spain and Greece. Pretty cool. Oh, and yes, I think it does have a strong sea-weed note or something like that. Good call there!

Also, if you like AdG, then you might want to try another cheapie, which is VERY close to it: Perry Ellis 360 Red. It has a little more spiciness (cinnamon?) added in, but other than that it's pretty darn close, for a very cheap price. Check your Marshalls/TJMaxx/Burlington/etc - they often have it for $10-20, depending on the size (1.0 oz - 3.4 oz). I had some of that for a little while, but I really never got to into AdG, simply because seemingly everybody was wearing it (still true to this day). It's a very popular scent for a reason, though. It is pretty darn nice. The true AdG will cost ya, though. I'd highly suggest at least trying the PE 360 Red, to see if it's something you like, for that low of a price, it's tough to knock.

Creeds are basically some of my favorite fragrances out there; niche or designer. I also like a few Bonds, but to me there are more *wearable/friendly* Creed options. My current fave is Aventus, followed by GIT (Green Irish Tweed) and then MI (Millesime Imperial). I have Original Santal too (which has a nice cinnamon/vanilla (almost gourmand) vibe - with some fresh juniper berries up front to sorta wake ya up when you first apply it - but I tend wear the fresher/fruiter ones quite a bit more. Aventus is fruity (apple/pineapple) with a slight smokiness/ashiness and some light (new) leather smell to it as well. It's mostly all about the apple/pineapple though, to me. This, as I've stated before, depends heavily on which particular batch/lot you have, though. Only a select few are really the ones that fragheads covet. I just switched to my 2nd (of 2) 50 ml decants from a split on the amazing X02 batch. It's the BEST! Certainly that's a personal opinion. But it's true. LOL

Grey Fla... ah-... ah-... ah-choooo! Yeah man, that is one STRONG MFer! EEEEE....!!! There's a running joke on the intertron, mostly in the YouTube Fragrance community, where a certain popular (and pretty funny/goofy/cool) reviewer had a Grey Flannel sniff test or something. I can't recall exactly without looking it up, but I think he sent around a mystery scent sample to a bunch of folks - and it was Grey Flannel. LOL - They all video'd their initial sniff/reactions and uploaded the vids. I may have that hosed up a bit, but regardless, it was a pretty hilarious ordeal.

There's a different Grey Flannel offering - that is a light-blue/turquoise-colored one, which is supposedly pretty decent as a fresher scent - not at all like the original GF - which is really one of those '70s powerhouse scents... and IMO, not a very good one. YMMV, though... as I think someone in here just said it was a major panty-dopper for them. LOL - Hey man, whatever works! No harm - no foul. To each, his own.

Polo Black is pretty darn solid. I think you got it right with "dressy." I do not own it, but many a fella does - and it smells nice, IMO. Safe. Nothing that'll really turn too many people off, I'd say.

TdH is another crowd favorite in the frag community, but I never really took to it. I think the citrus is nice, for sure, but that Earthy (dirt?) vibe mixed in there, kinda didn't sit well with me. It must just be me, 'cuz like I said a number of folks really like it. Again, it's a very personal thing. If you like something, rock it!

Comment

Wearing Tom Ford Extreme today.

I really liked Aventus and GIT too. The only two bottles I own are TdH and Rocabar and I still really like both. Just trying new stuff.

Comment

Fred did you notice the smell changing after you applied it, just curious as you weren't a big fan of most of your samples it seemed.

Comment

Cool thread! I got into frags over the winter, but lately they've taken a bit of a back seat to clothes, shoes, and most recently watches.
            My daily wear this year for Spring/Summer is Bergamotto Marino by Gianfranco Ferre; a nice fresh scent, usually described as having bergamot and melon notes, that stands out from all the aquatics out there. The trouble is, I work from home most of the time, with no significant other right now, so I haven't had too much feedback on it. On the plus side though, I get to wear what I like!

One that some feel is underrated: F by Ferragamo Noir. I picked it up after liking it in-store, and I think it's a good one for the romantic night out. A bit too much for summer though.

Comment

A couple of my favorites is Eternity, and Polo Sport.
              Right know Nautica Voyage and Burberry Weekend is in my rotation.

http://theflylyfe.com/
              http://www.theflylyfe.com/

Comment

Creed Aventus today. I'm liking this even better on my skin than on the paper samples.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
                  Creed Aventus today. I'm liking this even better on my skin than on the paper samples.
                  Cool, Fred. Aventus is the best fragrance I've smelled in a lonnnnnnng time; let's call it *ever*.

Any clue to which particular batch/lot you have there? If no specifics are available, would you say it is more fruity (apple/pineapple) or more smokey/ashy (birch)? Or just a pleasant mix? I really am partial to the fruit-heavy batches, namely X02 and Z01.

Comment

Tried a balanced-but-fruity Aventus a few months ago, really loved it. Even more than TdH.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
                      Any clue to which particular batch/lot you have there? If no specifics are available, would you say it is more fruity (apple/pineapple) or more smokey/ashy (birch)? Or just a pleasant mix? I really am partial to the fruit-heavy batches, namely X02 and Z01.
                      Nope, no clue. It seems like a nice mix, maybe heavier on the smoke. I definitely like this better than the TF Extreme I wore yesterday. I could see myself buying this.

Comment

TF Italian Cypress today

Comment

L'eau D'Issey is my go to when things get serious. For the last 6 months or so my daily has been Wildblue by Banana or Givenchy Play

Comment

Caron Third Man today

Comment

Originally posted by TerpMed View Post
                              L'eau D'Issey is my go to when things get serious. For the last 6 months or so my daily has been Wildblue by Banana or Givenchy Play
                              L'eau D'Issey deodorant is what I use every day. It has such a crisp/clean smell that's not overpowering at all. Subtle.

Comment

Well this thread has made me finally look into some colognes. I purchased about 10 small vials from the perfumed court. Will report back. Many overlap with what Fred purchased as I used a similar method (ones that get a lot of attention on forums).
                                "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Working...
                                X