Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need new glasses, but I hate shopping for glasses. Help give me some ideas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need new glasses, but I hate shopping for glasses. Help give me some ideas.

We've got some weird thing going on with our vision coverage at work right now, while we switch insurance plans, and it's resulted in some pretty insane benefits -- right now, I've got $280 in coverage for frames, plus $150 in additional coverage for frames and lenses... and a percentage-based discount on top of that. Not taking advantage of this would be stupid, even if I can see acceptably well through my existing glasses.

Obviously, if I'm going to a local shop, nobody can tell me which frames to buy in particular, but when you've seen yourself in a particular pair every day for years on end, it gets a bit tough to tell what looks good on you otherwise -- a plight all glasses-wearers will likely understand.

Anyway, here are a couple of photos that show my face. If anyone can give me some ideas on what SORT of frames may work for me -- example photos are good! -- I would be eternally grateful. Or, well, nigh eternally, at any rate.

(Canadian) http://www.clearlycontacts.ca/
    (US) http://www.coastal.com/

You can upload a headshot and virtually try on glasses.

Comment

I think most people look good in chunky plastic frames. Some of my favorites are Oliver Peoples, Moscot and Tom Ford.

Retro cool:

OP reily

OP Sheldrake

Modern wayfarer-ish style:
      Last edited by fauxshow; June 6, 2013, 07:12 AM.

Comment

I would also suggest visiting warbyparker.com to view other selections. They carry fashion-forward styles as well.

My job does not have vision coverage so I found their affordable prices a great alternative for those wanting something stylish without the expense.

I suggested this site so that you can view the styles they offer because they currently do not accept insurance.They do suggest inquiring whether your insurance can reimburse you for the purchase if you think they may be the option you choose.

Good luck in your search.

Comment

If you're interested in the type of frame Fauxshow recommends, you should also check out shuron.com. Their Freeway and Sidewinder models fit that mold and they are very well made and look good as well as coming in several sizes. Shuron also offers at-home try on like Warby Parker. You might also want to look into a browline style of frame, which will likely look pretty good on your face. Lots of companies - including Shuron - make them. Good luck!

Comment

I have a pair of Warby Parkers and while I think they're good value and style for the money, they're noticeably lesser quality than other glasses I've owned. Given the great insurance coverage you temporarily have, I'd look for something that's better quality.

I think the single most useful thing you can do, given your question, is to google glasses and face shape. There are several different face types that people fall into - heart-shaped, oblong, oval, square, etc. - and the type that you are determines a lot about what style of glasses will look best on your face. I can't really tell from your pics what face type you are, but if you do some googling and ask some people whose eye you trust you should be able to figure out what will work best for you. Just saying "plastic frames" or "retro cool" or w/e isn't really helpful advice: think about how some people look awesome in, say, aviator sunglasses, and others can't pull it off. The reason why has to do w/ face shape, not inherent coolness.

Comment

Here was an article from the NY Times a year or so ago about some of the online eyeglass vendors:
              http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/19/fa...anted=all&_r=0
              Unfortunately for me, none of them can handle my astigmatism, so I don't have any first hand experience with any of them.

I have a pair of Lindbergs that I wear virtually every day and have been very happy with them: http://lindberg.com/

EDIT: I have the pair in the upper left corner here http://lindberg.com/#/showroom/men/ but in the color that's in the top row second from right.
              Last edited by Fred G. Unn; June 6, 2013, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Two words: Warby Parker.

Originally posted by babelfish View Post
                We've got some weird thing going on with our vision coverage at work right now, while we switch insurance plans, and it's resulted in some pretty insane benefits -- right now, I've got $280 in coverage for frames, plus $150 in additional coverage for frames and lenses... and a percentage-based discount on top of that. Not taking advantage of this would be stupid, even if I can see acceptably well through my existing glasses.

Obviously, if I'm going to a local shop, nobody can tell me which frames to buy in particular, but when you've seen yourself in a particular pair every day for years on end, it gets a bit tough to tell what looks good on you otherwise -- a plight all glasses-wearers will likely understand.

Anyway, here are a couple of photos that show my face. If anyone can give me some ideas on what SORT of frames may work for me -- example photos are good! -- I would be eternally grateful. Or, well, nigh eternally, at any rate.

Comment

I would suggest Warby Parker if he was paying for it out of his own pocket. But since insurance covers it, why not get something nicer?

If you can provide a straight forward shot of your face I can photoshop a few different frames on you to see what looks good.

Comment

Go for online eye wears and now you can even check one on your face with new human computer interaction software available online.

Comment

Just be aware of your prescription. Online shops don't work with very strong lenses.

Comment

I own two pairs of Oliver Peoples, and I love them. But I dipped into savings for them and paid a pretty penny. That was before I knew about Warby, and if I had, I'd have saved myself some money. Virtually the same for a fraction.

Comment

Originally posted by babelfish View Post
                          So, this might be a dumb question, but I've never had vision coverage. Does this mean your insurance is going to come $280 and $150 for one pair of glasses/store, or can you split that up over a few pairs?

If you can split it up, I would get two pairs of Warby Parkers in different styles and a pair of prescription sunglasses.

Comment

Originally posted by lmwilson View Post
                            So, this might be a dumb question, but I've never had vision coverage. Does this mean your insurance is going to come $280 and $150 for one pair of glasses/store, or can you split that up over a few pairs?

If you can split it up, I would get two pairs of Warby Parkers in different styles and a pair of prescription sunglasses.
                            You know, I'm not sure. I think I can split it. I should ask when I go in tomorrow.

Unfortunately, Warby Parker is not a great choice for me -- I need long temples and wide glasses, and there are like three pairs at WP, total, which fit me properly.

Comment

FIRMOO.COM also has a first pair free policy. If you sign up with multiple e-mail addresses you can get a couple pair of glasses for $10-20 in shipping costs. I got 2 from firmoo and 2 from coastal.

Comment

Working...
                              X