First Pair of High Quality Dress Shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Pair of High Quality Dress Shoes

I am in the market for a pair of dress shoes, and I am wanting looking for a high quality brown pair that will work with almost anything. I am looking at these Allen Edmonds:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...40000000001_-1

What do you think? I'd like to find them on sale of course. Also, which color would be more versatile between the brown and walnut?

I like the walnut WAY more than the traditional brown. I feel like the walnut is more versatile than brown especially in more business casual situations.

Comment

I will have to disagree with frank, walnut is very "trendy" don't get me wrong though I have 3 pairs of walnut footwear and love them but it really is limited to greys and lighter colours for pairing. First pair though Dark Brown, then black, then get walnut or something fun.

A very Dark Brown would be your most versatile shoe, eg
      http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...40000000001_-1

Not sure if it's that dark in person, but dark brown.

Comment

Okay thanks. I just wasn't sure how the walnut would pair with khaki chinos. And should I go with a wingtip or the capped toe version? Here is the capped toe, which offers an extra color: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...40000000001_-1

Comment

Yeah I like those, too. I really just want to make sure I get a color that goes well with grey, navy, and khaki.

Comment

Walnut and Navy/Black is just not a good look IMO.

That's not even navy really, it's a blue and still looks bad being a lighter colour

And I'll even show a lighter shade of brown shoes and an actual navy suit, this is definitely trendy kind of look but still looks better than the above by far IMO (if you can see his belt there, that nice dark brown I think looks perfect)
            Last edited by shad0w4life; May 27, 2013, 04:13 PM.

Comment

That second look is so much better. Realllly prefer the dark browns to the walnut. I've got a pair or two of walnut shoes and they're just not versatile. They stand out too much in a bad way.

Comment

I'm not really a fan of walnut shoes in general, but I think dark brown looks great with most everything. So I'd say go for the dark brown as it'll be much more versatile and subsequently probably see a lot more use in your rotation.

Comment

If the McAllisters are the first choice, I think merlot is also a fine color. It's sufficiently dark for navy and grey suits, but it also provides some visual interest for those that think that brown is too bland.

Comment

don't let these guys dissuade you from the beauty of walnut. Sure it's fashion forward but only in the context of the very strict confines of men's conservative business wear. It's still a brown dress shoe in a conservative style, just a lighter tone. If you don't work in a conservative business environment and love the color, don't be afraid to enjoy it and play around with it. Feed the inner dandy in you.

That said, your first nice pair of dress shoes should be black. You won't wear it as often as brown but the instances where you must wear black are more important - interviews, formal affairs, weddings, and such.

Comment

I think I am now leaning toward the strand style in bourbon: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...40000000001_-1

It's a newer color for AE that is somewhere in between dark brown and walnut, and I figure it is a little more versatile than the wingtip. Thanks for the input.

Comment

And I don't really have any use for black dress shoes, yet. I am still in college, and I don't have anything going on that is ultra formal.

Comment

I did the whole "first good pair of shoes = black" thing and sprung for AE Park Avenues. Now I barely wear them. Honestly, your first nice shoe should be a simple dark brown. I'm a big fan of the Fifth Avenue (or even Park Avenue) in Dark Brown for a nice formal first good pair of shoes. The Strand in Bourbon is a decent choice that straddles formal and casual. I have a hard time wearing balmorals with jeans, but that's just me.

Honestly the AE shoes that get the most wear from me are by far my dark brown Kenilworth. I like the color way more than the bourbon. They're not bulbous IMO but they're not super sleek either, they go great with jeans or with dress pants and a shirt, and yeah, I wear them everywhere. If you're looking to buy a pair of nice shoes that you will actually wear / want to wear all of the time, get the Kenilworth in dark brown.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                            If the McAllisters are the first choice, I think merlot is also a fine color. It's sufficiently dark for navy and grey suits, but it also provides some visual interest for those that think that brown is too bland.
                            ^^ Listen to the man, this is good advice.

Not saying this to offend anyone, but walnut brogues are to '10's what bell bottoms were to the 70's. Trend-hopping mall stores like ALDO shoes sells walnut brogues for god's sakes. It's over-played, not fashion forward. In 5 years, brown will still be in style and walnut probably won't.

Comment

I would go with the dark brown or the bourbon if you want the most versatility. The black will be very useful for formal occasions but those will be few for you at this age. The strands are limited in what you can pair them with.

Comment

Working...
                              X