Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

home products that aren't chickish? like...candles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

home products that aren't chickish? like...candles?

specifically, I'm looking for candles right now, and wondering if any of you gentlemen have found a good source for candles that don't smell all chickish. I think, inevitably, one begins to care about the appearance and overall presentation of one's home, as well as one's person. For a variety of reasons, I'm basically starting fresh with a home, and wondered what sources some of you have found to stock up on things for the house, and particularly in keeping with the theme of dappered: quality without the premium price tag.

Well, you can find cheap candles at any big box store, like Target. If you want something a bit better try a place like Yankee Candle. As for being girlish, there are plenty of scents that are very 'manly'. Ones that smell like cologne, trees, leather, etc etc. I'd suggest starting with small candles just in case you don't like them. And get a cool candle holder for it too.

Candles can be a great way to change the mood of your place. Set out a cookie scented candle and everyone that comes in starts to get a huge craving for cookies. heheh....

Comment

I think decent lighting (usually not overhead) makes a huge difference in the feel of a place. Candles can provide some of that. Opinions of this place aside, IKEA can be a great place for lamps, strings of soft LED lighting, etc for a good price. Also, +1 to Joes suggestion awhile back for an antique steamer trunk for a coffee table.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I enjoy alot of candles and only purchase WoodWix candles. Right now I have their "christmas" scent which is of christmas tree scent. They are great, they last forever they have great scent. and they also have a wooden wick and they crackle as they burn. great to read a book to or study or work. anyways, thats what I enjoy.

Comment

My dream candle:

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Tom-Fo...od121000034sku

Comment

Pier One carries a cilantro & citrus candle that I don't think smells girly:

http://www.pier1.com/Catalog/Candles...s/Default.aspx

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

- The 'First Class Candle' by Duke & Winston, a 'masculine & modern fragrance with notes of citrus, bergamot, juniper & jasmine'. $28.00, 60 hours of burn time.

http://www.duke-winston.com/gentcandle.htm

- Mathew Izzo candles

http://www.matthewizzo.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=25

Comment

An ex of mine stayed with me for about 3 weeks and brought a bunch of candles with her that were vanilla scented. They made the place smell like cookies. I loved it. So after those ran out, I decided, why not get some manlier stuff and began a similar quest? I picked up two candles from Yankee Candle: Leather & Mountain Lodge. Not really happy with either. They were $25 a piece (although I found $10 off $25 coupons) but they just don't smell very strong like her cheap candles did, I think from WalMart or Target. The Mountain Lodge is the better of the two.

I was lamenting my yankee candles to a lady friend of mine and she recommended a brand called Tokyo Milk. She swears by them but I have yet to try them. However, I have faith that a candle with pictures of crows and skulls on it and names like "Poe's Tobacco" and "Dead Sexy" to deliver a manly scent. http://tokyo-milk.com/t/candles/travel-candles

I'm gonna give the WoodWicks that Tat suggested a try. I actually owned a set of incense a long time ago that was a combo pack of different woods. it was glorious and made me house smell like I had a fireplace but I was never able to find it again and it seems incense has gone out of fashion - replaced by these gel/oil things?

Comment

Oh, and hah - I tried asking this same question with a bunch of my guy friends the other day at the bar and I thought I'd share my favorite answer, which was, 'You want manly? Just start spraying WD40 everywhere!"

Comment

^ Haha that's good. Maybe add in some Go-Jo and fresh cut grass.

Incense are pretty awesome. They have many that are of different trees, such as cedar, pine, etc. and make the place smell great. I've also tried frankencense. Really powerful scent but it definitely helps calm people down for some reason.

Comment

There is mixed evidence for this, like most things, but some studies have shown that both burning things (e.g., candles, incense) in your house, or using artificial scents (glade plug ins, aerosol air fresheners) can increase respiratory problems. If you are prone to that (I have asthma), a few drops of a 'manly' essential oil in water sprayed around your place in a mist can do the trick. Pretty much any scent you can imagine are available in essential oil form, especially if you live near a coop or more natural fragrance store.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Thanks for all the input, gents. Ain't crowd-sourcing great?

As to my current smell: it's mostly pan-seared meat, which is pretty darn manly, but not the thing in really going for.

Comment

I like to get candles from bath and body works... they have some strong smelling ones, as if I light a candle I want to be able to smell it, not like the department store ones I've tried in the past.

They also have an aromatheropy line that is very "manly" smelling

twitter: @adg_ca
                          instagram: @adg_ca

Comment

If you just want some scent every now and then (as opposed to a steady hum day after day), you can boil something aromatic (e.g. cinammon sticks) in a pan with some water, for a little while. The smell will stick around. All natural.

If you want to kick up the WD-40 smell, spray a little PB Blaster around too. That stuff really smells like a garage.

I like incense as well, but I guess it takes some thought to not go overboard or send an unintended message.

Comment

Also, very short-burning incense sticks, relegated to the bathroom: Genius.

It might be a Japanese thing, I'm not sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X