Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's see your watch collections!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #91
    Originally posted by scotty989 View Post
    BenR do you have any details or plans for the box you built? I was thinking about making one also. Thanks.
    As promised:







    Dimensions:

    11 5/8” wide (without base)
    8 ¾” long
    3 ¼” (walls) + ¼” (top piece) high
    External “walls” thickness: ½”
    Internal slats: ¼” wide, 1 ½” tall
    Base: 5/8” wide, 1” tall

    The hinges are ordinary 1" hinges. The closure system is a couple of magnets on the underside of the lid and some small screws underneath. A different closure system, like a traditional hasp, might be advisable if your collection is all mechanical and you're concerned about accidentally magnetizing a watch. The material is cherry and the finish is just a high-shine lacquer of some variety. Except for the magnets, that we went to the store to purchase, we ended up making the box entirely out of scraps and stuff my dad had lying around in his shop.

    The cushions, as I mentioned already, are 3x3" velvet "bracelet pillows" that I bought on eBay.

    I can't be much help in terms of advising on how to build a box, though, since I made it with my dad's tools and guidance. I designed it but I wouldn't have had the first clue where to start building it if he hadn't been instructing me the whole way.
    Ben

    Comment


      #92
      LBD- did you trade out the white-faced EF-503 for a blue faced one?

      Plus an update on the Highgear- DO NOT get bug spray on it- the owners manual even says so- it will mess up the bezel and crystal (I know the bezel is despite the metallic color and the crystal seems pretty soft). I would think for the money they wold make it more durable than this but you get what you pay for I suppose. It's too bad too, I've really grown to like the size and simplicity of it- I thought about changing out the crystal, but it might not even be possible. That is a nice box! Did you consider recessing the hinges?

      Comment


        #93
        The hinges actually are recessed, but they don't close perfectly flush. Not a big deal, IMO.

        I did end up buying a blue-faced EF-503D but I still have my white one. I need to do a big watch sell-off soon but I won't have the time until after I've taken the bar exam in a couple weeks.
        Ben

        Comment


          #94
          Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
          The hinges actually are recessed, but they don't close perfectly flush. Not a big deal, IMO.

          I did end up buying a blue-faced EF-503D but I still have my white one. I need to do a big watch sell-off soon but I won't have the time until after I've taken the bar exam in a couple weeks.
          haha. what bar?

          Comment


            #95
            Latest addition to the collection. If I had to choose a Holy Grail watch, this would be pretty close. MKII Nassau that I've been waiting about a year for (they're all hand built, extremely limited production, and have a long wait list). If I can ever come across a good condition Kingston I will likely pick that up for a wedding watch. Anyway, I like the Nassau as it is as close as you can get to the Rolex Submariner (Ref 5510) without dropping $50k. Also the same watch James Bond wore in the first few films.

            on a proper Bond strap


            1962 version on the right, 2012 version on the left. Bond's watches may have changed, but damn do they always look good.

            Comment


              #96
              Gorgeous!

              Comment


                #97
                Originally posted by mdwsta4 View Post
                Latest addition to the collection. If I had to choose a Holy Grail watch, this would be pretty close. MKII Nassau that I've been waiting about a year for (they're all hand built, extremely limited production, and have a long wait list). If I can ever come across a good condition Kingston I will likely pick that up for a wedding watch. Anyway, I like the Nassau as it is as close as you can get to the Rolex Submariner (Ref 5510) without dropping $50k. Also the same watch James Bond wore in the first few films.

                on a proper Bond strap


                1962 version on the right, 2012 version on the left. Bond's watches may have changed, but damn do they always look good.

                I liked it so much I just ordered one! Thank you!

                Comment


                  #98
                  You're welcome. Waiting is the hardest part!

                  Originally posted by farhad View Post
                  I liked it so much I just ordered one! Thank you!

                  Comment


                    #99
                    Originally posted by mdwsta4 View Post
                    You're welcome. Waiting is the hardest part!
                    Haha, true! I'll spend the next 23 weeks looking for the perfect leather nato strap!

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                      As promised:







                      Dimensions:

                      11 5/8” wide (without base)
                      8 ¾” long
                      3 ¼” (walls) + ¼” (top piece) high
                      External “walls” thickness: ½”
                      Internal slats: ¼” wide, 1 ½” tall
                      Base: 5/8” wide, 1” tall

                      The hinges are ordinary 1" hinges. The closure system is a couple of magnets on the underside of the lid and some small screws underneath. A different closure system, like a traditional hasp, might be advisable if your collection is all mechanical and you're concerned about accidentally magnetizing a watch. The material is cherry and the finish is just a high-shine lacquer of some variety. Except for the magnets, that we went to the store to purchase, we ended up making the box entirely out of scraps and stuff my dad had lying around in his shop.

                      The cushions, as I mentioned already, are 3x3" velvet "bracelet pillows" that I bought on eBay.

                      I can't be much help in terms of advising on how to build a box, though, since I made it with my dad's tools and guidance. I designed it but I wouldn't have had the first clue where to start building it if he hadn't been instructing me the whole way.
                      Although 2 of the pictures aren't working, that's a great looking watch box! Very nice. I'd love to make something like that but doubt I have the woodworking skills to pull it off.

                      Comment


                        Here is a photo of my meager watch collection. It has served me well.



                        L to R: Casio Edifice 503D; skagen steel series, Seiko Kinetic, Citizen EcoDrive

                        Comment


                          Very attractive collection that should easily take you from casual to dress situations!

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by CrownAndBuckle View Post
                            Very attractive collection that should easily take you from casual to dress situations!
                            Thanks. I've never really been a big 'watch collection' kind of person, but I feel like its enough to meet basically any need/wardrobe I have. And the 2 nato straps are yours! They are navy, even though they look almost black in the photo. I do think it would be kind of nice to get a black leather strap to put on the rectangular Citizen, since I really only wear it as a dress watch.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by drocpsu View Post
                              Thanks. I've never really been a big 'watch collection' kind of person, but I feel like its enough to meet basically any need/wardrobe I have. And the 2 nato straps are yours! They are navy, even though they look almost black in the photo. I do think it would be kind of nice to get a black leather strap to put on the rectangular Citizen, since I really only wear it as a dress watch.
                              Leather still works in dress situations depending on the style of leather. A leather strap would really look great on the rectangular watch.

                              Thanks for the support as well (with the NATOs)!
                              Last edited by CrownAndBuckle; August 6, 2013, 02:08 PM.

                              Comment


                                I recently popped off my Orange Monster bracelet (good night, drilled lugs are awesome) to play with some Nato's for more casual wear.
                                Put it on an orange strap, wore it with some more downplayed colors (grey blue and black) and it popped nicely without being too much.



                                I also totally ripped off a look seen on Worn & Wound and put my Seiko SNZH53 on a Honey Brown Hirsch Liberty strap.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X