Let's see your watch collections!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
    I was talking about a Speedy - most likely a hand wound one since that's what the 'moon watch' was.

Bremers - I was possibly thinking about that as well but I don't like buying something that's 40 years old since I don't know how it's been treated during that time.
    I will definitely be getting the hand wound as well. While there is risk when buying vintage if you do your research you will end up with a great watch that has great history to it.

Comment

I'm not so big on the history it has unless it was me or someone I know that was the one making that 'history' if that makes sense. It's a 40 year old watch which is cool but I don't know any of the stories behind it so to me it's not a big deal.

Comment

The Tritium tubes are cool but nowhere near as bright as the lume on my Omega PO or Orient Mako. But then again, the tubes used on this watch are tiny in comparison so maybe that accounts for the difference.
        Tritium isn't meant to compete with fully-charged lume in the light of day. Tritium shines in the dead of night, when conventional lume has faded to nothing, but the tritium is still trucking on. That's the magic of it.

Here's the best visual demonstration I've seen:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/trit...st-535726.html
        Ben

Comment

Hahahaha. I was thinking the same thing. SpeedMaster for my 5th anniversary (since it runs about $2500 I think) and then maybe an IWC Portugese for the 10th. But my tastes might change by then so who knows.
          I wanted a Speedy for years, but could never quite convince myself to really pull the trigger, and then -- poof -- one day I just didn't want one anymore, so I know how that feels. But still, it's such a classic watch that I don't think you'll have any trouble selling it even if you change your mind afterwards.

There's always another one on the horizon even when you tell yourself that you're done, isn't there? I thought I was done after a pretty big purchase earlier this year. Nope. Ended up buying two more afterwards. After this last one, I really am telling myself that I'm done - LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Chareth View Post
            There's always another one on the horizon even when you tell yourself that you're done, isn't there? I thought I was done after a pretty big purchase earlier this year. Nope. Ended up buying two more afterwards. After this last one, I really am telling myself that I'm done - LOL.
            There is always another one. Here's a shot of all the watches I have currently. Obviously there's an empty watch winder that needs to be filled. I won't give anything away. All I will say is 'the die has been cast'.

Comment

Current watch is the Orient Ray. I swapped it to a NATO strap for the summer and it pretty much lives on my wrist.

I also have a Bertucci C-1T for any activities that may damage the Orient (yard work, etc.)

Comment

So here's the latest watch to the collection- this was the donor watch for the second-hand sweep to my EF503D (Which I must say is an excellent sweep for that watch). This now sports the red sweep from the EF503D. I think the red sweep is much better suited than its former white sweep.

Since I had it open, I also added a sapphire crystal to it. Although this has a rubber strap and fine to get wet, I think a red, black and gray NATO strap will finish this off nicely. May end up selling it off- not sure yet since I'm really looking at adding a GMT.

http://i1275.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6a13d336.jpg
                Last edited by ajk170; June 16, 2013, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by auronblue View Post
                  Current watch is the Orient Ray. I swapped it to a NATO strap for the summer and it pretty much lives on my wrist.

I also have a Bertucci C-1T for any activities that may damage the Orient (yard work, etc.)
                  Great strap.

Comment

So here's the Highgear Compass watch- I wanted one that I can wear when running - all my other watches just look out of place. Its big at abut 47mm but not as big as I thought. Here's a couple comparison shots with my bigger watches. My Parnis took a catastrophic fall to the floor thus the minute hand popped off so rather than trying to fix it - I just ordered a new one... but this time from Getat since I hear the lume is much better... hopefully it comes out better than the Daji ...Sigh.

Comment

Thanks for the pic of the Highgear. Sorry to hear about your Parnis. I had a 40mm one a while back that fogged up within a couple days of ownership (no exposure to actual water, just moisture from my sweat as far as I can tell). Seems that quality is all over the place on those.
                      Ben

Comment

@LBD- A point to note about the Highgear- the bezel looks white but it's really silver. The bezel also rotates. I like the fact that a person can add the declination to adjust magnetic north to true north. If I had to guess the bezel is some sort of composite plastic and not metal. The watch is rather light.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                          Slightly more unpacked now, so as promised, a pic:

Top L-R: Casio EF-503D; Deep Blue Daynight T25; G-Shock DW5600E; Timex Expedition vintage-style pilot
                          Bottom L-R: Hamilton Khaki Night Pilot; Ball Fireman Racer; Hamilton Jazzmaster Viewmatic; Orient Ray

And a couple close-ups of my babies.

The box (not well shown in the photo) is one I built myself. The cushions are 3x3" velvet bracelet pillows I bought on eBay.
                          BenR do you have any details or plans for the box you built? I was thinking about making one also. Thanks.

Comment

I can take some more photos and post measurements tomorrow.
                            Ben

Comment

Ben, is the Hamilton night khaki pilot 46mm? How does it wear?

Comment

Originally posted by nftmlk View Post
                                Ben, is the Hamilton night khaki pilot 46mm? How does it wear?
                                It comes in 3 sizes... 38mm and 46mm in automatic, 42mm in quartz.

I have the 38mm and it wears more like 40 due to the large dial and narrow bezel. (The Ball right next to it in the picture is 40mm.) Fortunately, even though it has a lot of wrist presence, it's still comfortable and wearable due to the short lugs. And, of course, a pilot watch is supposed to look slightly oversized. I wouldn't want to try to pull off the 46mm one unless my wrist were about 7.5"+, though. The 42mm is probably a safer bet for most wrists, if the quartz isn't a deal-breaker.
                                Last edited by LesserBlackDog; July 13, 2013, 11:24 AM.
                                Ben

Comment

Working...
                                X