Let's see your watch collections!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ajk170 View Post
    I hate the fact that I really like it but have too many watches ... luckily this Casio is not expensive...
    I have the opposite problem. I might have to downsize a bit to pay for this Ball.

Comment

gargao- I like your storage case- Are the drawers deep enough to put sunglasses in? My collection in that realm as well as tie-bars and collar stays is growing as well and need a place to corral them all into one location. Otherwise I may have to add a couple of drawers to my closet organizer system.
      No, the drawers aren't deep enough. I picked it up at Target. The top compartment might be able to fit sunglasses on the left partition since it is much deeper than the drawers. Those three boxes there right now are TieBar boxes that I used to keep my collar things/wurkinstiff but I can actually put those in the smaller compartments. I like it, it was cheap, doesn't look feminine,and the dark wood color makes it look luxurious.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
        @ Vicious - Lol... says the guy who's always showing off his Omega and Chris Ward. Seriously, though, you need help.
        I'm still blaming you. I ended up going with the Fireman Victory since it's a bit of an Aqua Terra clone.

Comment

That's a beautiful watch. I think you'll get a kick out of the tritium if you haven't owned a watch with it before. Don't forget to post pics when you get it.
          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
            That's a beautiful watch. I think you'll get a kick out of the tritium if you haven't owned a watch with it before. Don't forget to post pics when you get it.
            Tritium? Isn't that radioactive? Not that I'm concerned about the radiation, but what's the half-life? In other words, how long will the glow-in-the-dark features work? I don't know enoguh about this stuff.

Comment

Tritium is radioactive, but the modern incarnation poses no health risk, especially compared to previous manufacturing uses of tritium and radium-based luminous paints. Modern tritium products (watches, gun sights, keychains, etc.) use gaseous tritium in a tiny tube with phosphorus. The tritium's beta decay "excites" the phosphorus, which releases a constant glow. Tritium gas tubes will maintain a self-luminous glow for about 25 years, but the glow will start to fade after about 12. That is also tritium's half-life. Tritium gas poses no danger while it is encapsulated in its tubes. The only possible health hazard is if you manage to smash the tubes and inhale the gas - even then, the amount of radiation you would receive is pretty negligible in the grand scheme, especially considering the tiny size of the tubes used in watches.

People have been wearing less contained, more dangerous forms of radioactive-illuminated watches for decades without any serious effects. The main danger of such materials has always been to people who actually physically, repeatedly contact the radioactive substance in question - for example, the "Radium Girls" who painted watch dials with radium paint and would frequently lick their brushes to reshape them. Many of them ended up with horrific oral cancers and other deformities. My understanding is that radium paint is no longer legal for use on watches, and has been outlawed for some time.

Tritium is most commonly used in "tactical" watch styles, like Luminox, Traser, Smith & Wesson, and so on. Ball is the only "luxury" watchmaker that uses them in its watches.
              Last edited by LesserBlackDog; May 20, 2013, 12:53 PM.
              Ben

Comment

Yeah, I read it's good for 25 years but when you send it in for service to Ball, they can redo it if need be. So no need to worry about the watch being defunct after 5-10 years.

Comment

My Orient Mako just arrived. This thing looks way better in person. For the money, this watch is a bargain. I need to see how accurate it is, but besides that, I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for a budget watch.

Comment

I had to look up what tritrium was before I read all the way through this post. Looks awesome, especially in the Ball watches, (since I'm generally not a big fan of tactical watches). If only I could afford one. haha

Comment

@Vicious - that Ball is a great looking piece. You have to get pics when you get a chance and tell us what you think!

Comment

@Vicious - that Ball is a great looking piece. You have to get pics when you get a chance and tell us what you think!
                        I will. The Tritium is one of the things that intriqued me about it.

Here's some pics of the Mako that came in today. The only Nato's I have at the moment that fit it are a brown leather, black leather, and Bond strap.

Comment

Wow that Orient looks great with that bond strap... looks better than the original bracelet and really steps it up to a new level sophistication.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                            I'm still blaming you. I ended up going with the Fireman Victory since it's a bit of an Aqua Terra clone.

That's a nice watch. The movement not as as sophisticated but IMO it's better looking than an Aqua Terra.

Comment

Not sure if it's better looking than an Aqua Terra but here are pics as promised. It's hard for me to get pics of anything reflective (especially with a black face). The Tritium tubes are cool but nowhere near as bright as the lume on my Omega PO or Orient Mako. But then again, the tubes used on this watch are tiny in comparison so maybe that accounts for the difference. I do like the fact that it came with 2 1/2 links otherwise I don't think I would have found a comfortable sweet spot on the bracelet.

Comment

Vicious, I notice that you're selling off your Christopher Ward. Any reason? I thought that it was one of your staples.

The ball watch is a classic design. You could probably alternate between your Omega and the Ball and be covered for every outfit. Are you going to keep it on the bracelet?

Comment

Working...
                                X