• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Token
    replied
    Originally posted by Loafer28 View Post
    My collection through the past 7-8 years:

Left to right, top row first

Hamilton Intra Matic 38, Omega Speedmaster reduced, Marathon GSAR, Hamilton Pioneer, Tissot Le Locle, Seiko orange monster

Omega Seamaster Apnea, Sinn 556i, Hamilton Intra Matic, Helson Blackbeard, Bell and Ross Vintage 123, Breitling, Longines Chrono, Dad’s vintage Hamilton, Grandfather’s Elgin pocket watch

Wife’s Grandfather’s Mickey Mouse Casio, Dad’s Hamilton, Nomos Orion 38, Seiko SKX007, Dad’s University of Florida watch, BR123, Sinn 903, Rolex GMT Master II, Grandad’s pocket watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3 watch boxes... that’s life goals right there haha. You have some really cool pieces! The pocket watch is awesome

Leave a comment:

• Token
    replied
    Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    So my apologies if the wrong avenue. But for those with heirloom type watches (Rolex, Omega etc) were those event driven like to celebrate something/hand me down, or good value/price or other? Seems to me I’ve noticed a lot more Rolex’s etc in general than in years past here and locally and with a tightening market just has me curious since the price is escalating into car territory.
    I haven’t meaningfully noticed an uptick in the % of luxury watches around here although I could be missing it.

I think watches are almost by definition an expensive hobby. For me it’s more about trying to learn and experience more which kinda inevitably took me upmarket (probably in large part due to marketing) but also because you’re kind of gated from a lot of what makes watches interesting by the price. I certainly don’t treat watches as an investment, while the price certainly comes into consideration I’ve found that for watches (and most luxury goods), more often than not it’s a bad idea to “settle” for something you like less just because it’s cheaper.

On Rolex specifically I’m not entirely sure what’s going on but the demand over the past year has been ridiculous. 1 year ago you could walk into an AD and reasonably walk out with a SS sub. Nowadays it’s rare to see any SS sport models in stock.

Leave a comment:

• Token
    replied
    Originally posted by lax101 View Post
    I'm a bit late to the party here, but I'm surprised nobody has commented on your Daytona...yet every Orient, microbrand, and homage watch gets tons of conversation. My god. My sincerest of congratulations.

Out of curiosity, how long were you on a waitlist to get yours?
    Thanks! I wasn’t actively looking to get one but the opportunity came up and it’s one of my grail watches so I couldn’t pass it up. Ended up waiting about 6 months. I do hope (and think) that the bubble will burst... the prices have just gotten more and more ridiculous especially over the past year.

Leave a comment:

• Loafer28
    replied
    My collection through the past 7-8 years:

Left to right, top row first

Hamilton Intra Matic 38, Omega Speedmaster reduced, Marathon GSAR, Hamilton Pioneer, Tissot Le Locle, Seiko orange monster

Omega Seamaster Apnea, Sinn 556i, Hamilton Intra Matic, Helson Blackbeard, Bell and Ross Vintage 123, Breitling, Longines Chrono, Dad’s vintage Hamilton, Grandfather’s Elgin pocket watch

Wife’s Grandfather’s Mickey Mouse Casio, Dad’s Hamilton, Nomos Orion 38, Seiko SKX007, Dad’s University of Florida watch, BR123, Sinn 903, Rolex GMT Master II, Grandad’s pocket watch

Last edited by Loafer28; June 17, 2019, 04:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Loafer28
    replied
    Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    So my apologies if the wrong avenue. But for those with heirloom type watches (Rolex, Omega etc) were those event driven like to celebrate something/hand me down, or good value/price or other? Seems to me I’ve noticed a lot more Rolex’s etc in general than in years past here and locally and with a tightening market just has me curious since the price is escalating into car territory.
    My Rolex was my grail watch that happened to show up on a Facebook local trading site that my wife used to find baby furniture . The price was way below market, so I met the seller at a watch maker to authenticate before purchase. It has easily doubled or tripled the price I paid since. I certainly couldn’t afford one at today’s used prices!

My collection, as a whole, has come from years of collecting: buying, selling and trading. My first nice watch was a Breitling that I bought for my self with my first Big commission check out of college. All of my mentors wore Tag Heuer and I new that loved watches, so I had to get one. When I went to the store, I decided I didn’t want what every one else was wearing, so I wandered over to the Breitling case and fell in love with a white Colt chronograph with blue sundials. I bought it on site and have been collecting ever since.

Leave a comment:

• hockeysc23
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    Very nice collection there [MENTION=13239]kongmw[/MENTION] I am kind of in the same boat as you are. I'm pretty much done buying watches for the moment. Nothing is really catching my eye right now (although this watch certainly comes close) but for now, I'm good. I already have some watches I don't wear often enough, if at all.

Leave a comment:

• kongmw
    replied
    here's a picture of my current collection. sorry the lighting is really crummy and not doing any of these any justice

top row left to right: JLC master ultra thin small seconds, stowa flieger classic 40 manual, rolex explorer
    bottom row left to right: wife's JLC rendez vous, Swatch x Hodinkee sistem blue edition, Seiko SKX009J, Seiko SARB033, some Tissot quartz (the oldest piece in the box)

when I bought the watch box I also told myself to never own more watches than there are slots in the box. looks like I'm getting there, maybe one more at most. also done buying watches for the moment anyway, gotta save up for a new speedy /w that cal. 321 (whenever omega decides to let that one out of the bag).

Leave a comment:

• DocDave
    replied
    The market for Daytona's is going up up up. Definitely a nice watch and one I'd love to have in my collection for sure. Won't be for a long while though. If ever.

Leave a comment:

• JakeofSpades
    replied
    My current collection includes:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...60520378969064

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...60520417168574

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...60520491082015

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
    That last line is quite the trio -- jealous of the GS as well
    for sure. I like playing the mount rushmore game...a 4 watch rotation to rule them all. All 3 of those are viable candidates.

Leave a comment:

• hornsup84
    replied
    Originally posted by idvsego View Post
    because most of us look at those and its just too painful to face the reality that we wont obtain lol. The Daytona is my lottery grail watch. Without the lottery, there is no way I will ever purchase one though. A real beauty for sure.
    That last line is quite the trio -- jealous of the GS as well

Leave a comment:

• idvsego
    replied
    Originally posted by lax101 View Post
    I'm a bit late to the party here, but I'm surprised nobody has commented on your Daytona...yet every Orient, microbrand, and homage watch gets tons of conversation. My god. My sincerest of congratulations.

because most of us look at those and its just too painful to face the reality that we wont obtain lol. The Daytona is my lottery grail watch. Without the lottery, there is no way I will ever purchase one though. A real beauty for sure.

Leave a comment:

• lax101
    replied
    Originally posted by Token View Post
    It’s been a while but here is my collection. Apologies for the bad photos, also, I need to get a new watch box so I can photograph everything together.

Timex Marlin, Nomos Tangomat, Longines 1945

Swill Cocktail Time, Patek 5296, Movado

Seiko Orange Monster, Omega Seamaster 300, Tudor 5B

Rolex Daytona, Grand Seiko Peacock, Omega Speedmaster CK2998

Looking at getting a JLC MUT Moon next as I could use a black dial dress watch that isn’t the movado.

Leave a comment:

• Token
    replied
    It’s been a while but here is my collection. Apologies for the bad photos, also, I need to get a new watch box so I can photograph everything together.

Timex Marlin, Nomos Tangomat, Longines 1945

Swill Cocktail Time, Patek 5296, Movado

Seiko Orange Monster, Omega Seamaster 300, Tudor 5B

Rolex Daytona, Grand Seiko Peacock, Omega Speedmaster CK2998

Looking at getting a JLC MUT Moon next as I could use a black dial dress watch that isn’t the movado.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X