No announcement yet.

Let's see your watch collections!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=14773]Token[/MENTION] - Very nice Patek! I once envisioned buying a Patek but I beat the hell out of my watches too much to ever buy one.

Comment

[MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] I wear it very rarely, it's too formal for many social occasions, and I'm not senior enough to wear it at the office. Big fan of the 5227, the officer's style caseback is a unique feature, kind of reminds me of a pocketwatch.

[MENTION=3421]Vicious49[/MENTION] That's true, it's often difficult to know exactly what you'll like from the get go. My point was more that it's a mistake to not do research before buying a watch and rush into watch purchases like I did.

[MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] Thanks! I try my best to take care of my watches, but scratches always find a way to appear... they don't bother me as much as they used to since I've given up on trying to keep watches pristine.
      Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
        The only problem with that approach is that you don't know if you intend to keep it forever until you've had it on your wrist for a bit. There's quite a few watches I thought I purchased with the intent of keeping them but grew tired of them. The Speedy is really the only watch I'd ever say is a keeper. The PO2500 is for me because it was a wedding gift, otherwise it does feel quite heavy at times.

The next watch I want to get is a Breitling Aerospace with a blue dial. I want something with a blue dial, metal bracelet (or in this case titanium), that is not too heavy. I can see that watch getting quite a bit of use but won't know it's a keeper until after I purchase it. I'll probably buy that one in about a year or so.

Wait . . .wait . . . you have a Patek??? I'm a bit envious but don't think I could ever personally spend that much money on a watch. Unless my salary was over half a million per year.
        It's never going to be a perfect system of buying watches, but I've seen plenty of guys who buy on whims and then wind up flipping within a couple months (generally buying and selling multiple high-end watches in a year). At this point, I'm doing my best to keep to one purchase per year (although I'm tempted to break that rule this year, since my first purchase this year was less than I had budgeted), which slows down my diligence process and keeps it more likely that I don't get a flavor of month, but wind up with something more lasting for my collection.

As for blue watches, have you thought about a Tudor Pelagos? The blue version looks pretty great (knowing you don't love in-house/auto for servicing cost purposes).

Originally posted by DMB View Post
        It's a 70's Fortis Marine Master. Fortis later did a reissue of it. It's a pretty cool dive watch, about 43mm, internal bezel, with a non hacking auto movement.
        Very cool, I like its funky vibe with the cushion case and busy dial.

Originally posted by Token View Post
        [MENTION=2622]hornsup84[/MENTION] I wear it very rarely, it's too formal for many social occasions, and I'm not senior enough to wear it at the office. Big fan of the 5227, the officer's style caseback is a unique feature, kind of reminds me of a pocketwatch.

[MENTION=3421]Vicious49[/MENTION] That's true, it's often difficult to know exactly what you'll like from the get go. My point was more that it's a mistake to not do research before buying a watch and rush into watch purchases like I did.

[MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] Thanks! I try my best to take care of my watches, but scratches always find a way to appear... they don't bother me as much as they used to since I've given up on trying to keep watches pristine.
        That's my worry with a Patek, that I wouldn't wear it enough. Although I'll likely be of an age/position at work that I could probably wear it to work a decent amount, I think they look best in rose and yellow golds (as opposed to white--at least in pictures, the ivory dial seems odd to me with the white gold) which do feel a bit older and more special vs. daily wear. That's why I've been considering a GS in steel that could potentially fill the void for now, with dauphine hands and sharp/quality finishing like [MENTION=3421]Vicious49[/MENTION] has (or the snowflake or something similar). But that Patek... the hinged caseback is a feature that I'm particularly interested in, since it's very unique.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
          As for blue watches, have you thought about a Tudor Pelagos? The blue version looks pretty great (knowing you don't love in-house/auto for servicing cost purposes).
          I hadn't looked in to that one but it's a bit too 'blue' for my liking. I'd want something that's a bit more subtle. So far I had mainly been considering the Omega SMP-C or even reacquiring the Pierce Brosnan Bond SMP300. But lately I've been leaning more towards the Breitling Aerospace since I know it will be lighter due to the titanium and probably have a lower profile as well since it's not a diver.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
            I hadn't looked in to that one but it's a bit too 'blue' for my liking. I'd want something that's a bit more subtle. So far I had mainly been considering the Omega SMP-C or even reacquiring the Pierce Brosnan Bond SMP300. But lately I've been leaning more towards the Breitling Aerospace since I know it will be lighter due to the titanium and probably have a lower profile as well since it's not a diver.
            Make sense, it's def a more flat brighter blue than most, although I've seen pictures where it's definitely bright and others where it looks much more toned down (e.g., http://www.salonqp.com/updates/new_w...tudor-pelagos/ ). It is also titanium (albeit not particularly small, I think 42mm and around 14mm thick), which made it come to mind for what you were looking for. Definitely different than a lot of your current holdings, so thought I'd offer it up!

Comment

Here's my small "collection", (if you can even call it that):
              Omega Bond SMP300, (Eh,Vicious!!?), Casio Edifice "White Speedy", Seiko Kinetic (dark blue/black face, it's funny that it photographed more purple than blue).

These days, the Omega gets the most wear, (its also my newest). With that and the Casio both sharing 20mm straps, I do swap them out in both pretty regularly, depending on my mood and outfit.

Comment

[MENTION=13399]DocDave[/MENTION] Not sure how much you're willing to spend on a box but I bought this one from Wolf Designs years ago and it has held up very well. I think it was $50 back then.

Comment

[MENTION=12100]quigleysr[/MENTION] thanks for that. I'm going to see how much the box is from Fossil. But the link you provided to Wolf Designs might just fit the bill too.

[MENTION=3886]drocpsu[/MENTION] Loving that Omega Bond watch. Not to mention the Casio. I keep hoping to find that Casio in a more reasonable price. I think I might have missed the boat on that one though.

Comment

Originally posted by drocpsu View Post
                    Here's my small "collection", (if you can even call it that):
                    Omega Bond SMP300, (Eh,Vicious!!?), Casio Edifice "White Speedy", Seiko Kinetic (dark blue/black face, it's funny that it photographed more purple than blue).

These days, the Omega gets the most wear, (its also my newest). With that and the Casio both sharing 20mm straps, I do swap them out in both pretty regularly, depending on my mood and outfit.
                    I really like that strap on your Omega, where did you get it from?
                    Instagram: WoofOrWeft

Comment

Originally posted by Token View Post
                      I really like that strap on your Omega, where did you get it from?
                      Thanks! It's a Form Function Form Buttonstud watchband: https://formfunctionform.com/product...tud-watchband/. This one is a Horween vegetable-tanned one (Dublin Ale), but they also make them in a bunch of other Chromexcel colors, as well as a variety of shell cordovan options.

Comment

Since I posted a link to the box yesterday I might as well show it in the wild with my collection.

Fossil Skeleton on Hadley Roma brown leather
                        Swiss Army Convoy Chronograph
                        Scurfa Diver One Stainless
                        Bernhardt GMT Globemaster II
                        Movado SL

Daniel Wellington on Crown & Buckle honey leather
                        Helgray Silverstone
                        Seiko 5 SRP555 on Bonetto Cinturini blue rubber
                        Tag Heuer Formula 1 Alarm
                        Orient Mako on Balancewheel #TypeNone NATO

Timex Weekender
                        Jacques de Manoir
                        Bulova
                        Seiko Chronograph
                        Garmin Forerunner

Nothing outside of the box ever gets worn, save the Garmin for running. Within the box, the Swiss Army & Movado get pretty much zero wrist time, with the Fossil close behind at maybe twice a month. The DW gets switched between different leathers and also NATOs in the summer. The Helgray also came with a tan leather that makes an appearance occasionally, along with some NATOs. The Seiko 5 used to be on NATOs but I recently bought the Bonetto and will probably just leave it on that. I just took the bracelet off of the Mako for its usual rotation of NATOs for the summer. Speaking of which, here they are, along with a few perlons. Top two rows are 20mm for the DW & Helgray, bottom is 22mm for the Mako and Seiko 5. I may have a problem.

Comment

Scurfa, bernhardt, and Helgrey, nice. I kind of want to upgrade my black diver to either a Scurfa or Bern...just havent found the model that suits me just yet.

Comment

[MENTION=12100]quigleysr[/MENTION], I have that exact Fossil skeleton on that exact Hadley Roma band... weird. It was the first birthday gift I ever received from my wife (then girlfriend) so it sticks around for sentimental reasons and gets about one wear a month or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                              [MENTION=12100]quigleysr[/MENTION], I have that exact Fossil skeleton on that exact Hadley Roma band... weird. It was the first birthday gift I ever received from my wife (then girlfriend) so it sticks around for sentimental reasons and gets about one wear a month or so.
                              That's funny. Mine was a groomsman gift like 7 years ago and I hated the bracelet it came on so I didn't wear it at all for a long time. Not a bad watch to break things up though. It looks like yours has gold indices/hands versus the blue on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by quigleysr View Post
                                That's funny. Mine was a groomsman gift like 7 years ago and I hated the bracelet it came on so I didn't wear it at all for a long time. Not a bad watch to break things up though. It looks like yours has gold indices/hands versus the blue on mine.
                                I see that now, zoomed in. The blue hands look nice :thumbup:

Comment

Working...
                                X