No announcement yet.

Let's see your watch collections!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a dress watch that is slim enough to wear on a suit but my budget's about 150. I was intrigued by the Rossling & Co Kickstarter watch posted yesterday with Blue hands and the new Orient Bambino with blue hands. What do you guys think?

Comment

I'd go with the Bambino. I prefer the original design, though.

The main problem with the Bambino is the 21mm lugs, which will make strap changing a pain. You can either roll with the limited selection of 21mm straps available, or squeeze a 22mm onto it. Orient is not known for the quality of its stock leather straps, so unfortunately I'm guessing you will want to change it at some point.

(Though to be fair, I don't know of a single major watchmaker in a sub $1500 price range that actually has decent leather straps. Pretty silly, considering good aftermarket straps can be found for $20-40.)

If it were my purchase and I had the extra cash, I'd almost consider upgrading to the ($450!) Tissot Visodate on the lug size issue alone. But obviously that's a pretty big leap in terms of pricing so YMMV. Plus I realize this may not even be the particular watch style you're looking for.

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by pratyk View Post
        I need a dress watch that is slim enough to wear on a suit but my budget's about 150. I was intrigued by the Rossling & Co Kickstarter watch posted yesterday with Blue hands and the new Orient Bambino with blue hands. What do you guys think?
        The Rossling is super attractive. I've been meaning to order one, but can't decide on the color combination. Definitely want white dial, probably want gold case, but not sure if the blued hands would be too much with that combo.

Comment

Originally posted by hornsup84 View Post
          Paging BenR -- any updates as to your Speedy Racing? Actually a pretty big fan of the yellow accents, but have been debating the classic moon watch as one option (42mm AT as another) for when I move into the realm of legit watches.
          What is there to say? Still digging it. When I bought it, a little voice inside my head cautioned me against the Racing because I might grow tired of the novelty of the yellow accents and the different textures and details on the dial. But every time I get even the slightest inkling that I should have bought a more conservative watch instead, I just look at the Racing on my wrist and I love it all over again. As I think I mentioned in my first post about it, I really like that the Racing has so much detail from a close view, but looks deceptively simple, conservative, and neutral from a distance. If you're concerned about how the design will age, there are also other color variations (like plain black dial, panda dial, etc) that probably fall somewhere between the bolder Racing varieties and the traditional Speedy Pro in terms of understatedness.

The size is pretty versatile, IMO. Classic 40mm diameter but pretty chunky at 15mm thick, with a domed overall shape. It's small enough it will look business-appropriate, but still has enough heft to look modern on a bigger wrist, IMO. With the weight of the bracelet and the chrono movement, you will definitely feel the watch on your wrist. Living in NYC means you have the luxury of trying on before you buy to make sure the size is what you want. My nearest Omega dealer is about a four hour drive away, so I took a leap of faith on sizing when I ordered mine.

The Moon Watch is a definitely a classic. What turned me off - or, more accurately, what kept me from becoming interested in the first place - is knowing I'd be wearing the same watch as thousands (or millions) of other guys, many of whom are only wearing it because it's the Moon Watch. (That's the same reason I could never bring myself to buy a Rolex Sub, tbh.) I never gave a lot of thought to the classic Speedy Pro before I saw the Racing. I really liked the Racing for its own aesthetic merits and only considered the Speedy Pro as an alternative.

My best advice is to take advantage of your location and try, try, try things on. Don't "settle" for anything based purely on price. There's no point buying a $3500 watch you sort of like because it seems like a better bargain than the $4500 watch you really want. I've seen way too many guys on watch forums who "settle" for a second-best watch based on price, then turn around and end up selling it at a loss to fund the purchase of the watch they really wanted all along. That's a sensible strategy if you're talking about a $500 second-best watch and a $5000 grail, but makes a lot less sense if you're dropping thousands of dollars on the second-best already. If you're in the same general pricing realm of the watch you really want, you're better off saving up and waiting than spending now just to save a relatively small amount.
          Last edited by LesserBlackDog; November 21, 2013, 12:17 PM.
          Ben

Comment

Much appreciated on the thorough response, Ben. I agree about not settling and trying things on. I'm somewhat of a newbie on the watch front, as I've just gotten back into the practice of wearing one (have the bambino original you pictured above and a maratec large (also original) for casual days). I'd like to learn more, but WUS forums are a bit daunting.

For me, my latest watch issue is strap length. I have huge wrists apparently, so I'm lucky to have a regular 115/75 strap fit my wrist on the last hole. Even the Mil-nato strap that came with my Maratec is on the last hole. Between that and the 21mm issue with the Bambino, not having a great time finding quality non-Nato replacement bands.

Comment

Originally posted by pratyk View Post
              Ever check out the Bulova 96B104?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B002IDTUHG

Featured numerous times on the main site by Joe, I have it and really like it. It wears especially well as a *dress* watch, when those occasions arise, but can also be worn with slightly more casual getups too.

It's under your budget, and you could use the extra dough to buy a nice brown strap to swap out if/when desired, and maybe even another option or two.

Here's a pic that Joe had in one of his articles:

And here it is on my wrist, a little while back:

It's simple, yet clean and classy, IMO. Great price too. I got mine at JCPenney, for $90-95 or so, IIRC.

Comment

Newest addition:

Comment

Beautiful. Nice addition.

Comment

Since my watches are constantly changing, thought it might be time for an update.

The 3 in the first pic are ones I still have since last time. The Omega is never going anywhere. I did finally put a Hirsch Liberty strap on the Orient Flight. It's what I should have done in the first place. The Orient Mako hasn't seen much wrist time lately and probably won't until next summer.

This next one is a Tissot Tradition chronograph that I've had for a few weeks now. It's the only quartz in my collection but I love the look of it and it's gotten enough compliments that I think this one will be a keeper. I didn't even need to change the strap on this one as the stock strap is not bad at all IMO.

This last one is an Orient Union that I picked up on sale and added a Hirsch Duke strap to it. It just arrived a week or so ago but looks much nicer in person. It's hard for me to photograph how sharp the hour markers look on this watch and the Tissot. Much better than I was expecting. I went with a lighter color for the strap just because I already had a few others with darker brown straps.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                      This next one is a Tissot Tradition chronograph that I've had for a few weeks now. It's the only quartz in my collection but I love the look of it and it's gotten enough compliments that I think this one will be a keeper. I didn't even need to change the strap on this one as the stock strap is not bad at all IMO.
                      This will be my next watch. I'm just waiting for Vicious to inevitably grow tired of it and put it up for sale.

Comment

Just picked up the Orient Union for a friend's Christmas present. I really like the textured face, the watch in general looks amazing for $100 (on sale at longislandwatch.com). I was extremely tempted to keep it for myself.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                          This will be my next watch. I'm just waiting for Vicious to inevitably grow tired of it and put it up for sale.
                          Ha! I'm not sure if I'll be putting this one up anytime soon. Although I have said that in the past and we all know how that went. I did see it on Jomashop for $20 less the other day than what I paid for it but it's still near the $300 mark.

Originally posted by mister_deez View Post
                          Just picked up the Orient Union for a friend's Christmas present. I really like the textured face, the watch in general looks amazing for $100 (on sale at longislandwatch.com). I was extremely tempted to keep it for myself.
                          It's hard to show the textured dial in pics. I was having a hard time deciding between the black or white face but ultimately went with white since I figured it's more versatile. I can pair it with pretty much any colored strap whereas a black face is much more limited.

Comment

Yep, I went with the white face as well, and also got my friend a black leather strap to swap in for more formal occasions (which as a lawyer I think he may end up using more).

Comment

Originally posted by frost View Post
                              Newest addition:

nice watch, but I didn't realize how many bucks it cost.

Comment

This is a beauty.

Comment

Working...
                                X