No announcement yet.

Let's see your watch collections!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt it. Patek is in a totally different class than most watches. I'm going to guess Longines or maybe a Rolex.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
      Patek is in a totally different class than most watches.
      Agreed. When my wife and I got anniversary presents for each other, I opted for the Rolex Yachtmaster and she chose the Patek Twenty4. 20/20 hindsight, I should've went with a Patek. I will have a Patek one of these days, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
        I doubt it. Patek is in a totally different class than most watches. I'm going to guess Longines or maybe a Rolex.
        I also doubt it. But now that we're all thinking about Pateks, whatever BenR did buy will probably seem frugal in comparison.

Comment

Ben is on WUS and I saw him post about vintage Omegas, so my guess is a Speedmaster.

Comment

Wrong on count one, right on count two. I don't remember posting about vintage Omegas on WUS.

Went with something a little different than the traditional Moon Watch:

Ben

Comment

Nice watch. I was wondering why you were unloading a lot of your watches last week. Nothing shameful about owning an Omega. My next one is going to come at my 5 year wedding anniversary (financial situation permitting of course).

Comment

@ Vicious, what model Omega are you going to get next?

I'm not embarrassed by owning an Omega, just embarrassed by the amount of money I've spent on watches in my relatively short life, culminating in this final purchase. I guess it helps to be single, employed, without debt, living cheaply (other than watches and, occasionally, clothes), no health problems, etc. "Embarrassment of riches" is certainly a term that fully applies to my life.

Plus I've got a good feeling this will be my last watch purchase for a while. It certainly feels like an arrival.

The back story for the purchase (for the 0 of you who care):

My brother is not into watches the way I am. He is a one-watch guy, but has recently been learning more about high-end mechanical watches, even going so far as to buy himself a Nomos Club last winter. He recently got it in his head he wanted to buy an Aqua Terra (specifically, the 38.5mm Skyfall blue version). He had decided he was going to settle for the cheaper quartz version since he didn't have the ~$4500 to put down on the blue automatic. I convinced him against this, not because I've got anything against quartz (quite the opposite), but I know too well that "settling" for a watch that is almost the one you want will invariably turn out badly.

As I was looking for deals for him, I stumbled across Omega's new Speedmaster Racing and was instantly smitten. I like the traditional Speedy Pro as much as the next watch enthusiast, but it's so ubiquitous among collectors that it's always felt a bit boring and generic to me. I thought the Racing was more fun, a better size, manageably priced, and had a more interesting, modern movement. I like the fact it's not tied to any particular marketing theme (whether being "First Watch on the Moon" or James Bond's watch). Plus black and gold are the colors for both my undergrad and grad schools. I know the design is a little polarizing, especially among Speedy Pro loyalists who think there is "only one Speedmaster." Frankly that appealed to my inner contrarian and my desire to own something that's slightly different from the norm.

I looked at the math on both our ends, and convinced my brother he could afford the auto Aqua Terra by selling off a bunch of his stuff, including his Nomos. My brother is also a gun collector. So he sold a bunch of his guns and knives. Much to our luck, the grey market retailer we wanted to use did an unexpected price drop on both our watches right as our money was coming together. We were both able to afford our watches without spending any more than we made from our sales.

We got our watches a few days ago. My brother's has not left his wrist since; mine has only come off when I helped my dad with some fire station construction work the other day. We're both very happy with our purchases.

Ben

Comment

Ben, I love your new Omega! Looks fantastic!

Comment

BenR - My next one is going to be the Skyfall AT but the 42mm version.

Comment

Nice choice Ben!

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone.

Vicious, if you haven't already, I'd definitely recommend trying the two AT sizes on at some point. I understand they both wear big for their size. My brother is a lot bigger than I am (6'4" to my 5'9" - though his wrists are still slender like mine). He is very happy with the size of his 38.5mm AT.
                        Ben

Comment

I tried both on (AT8500 but not the blue color though) at an Omega store earlier this summer and the wife thought the bigger one looked better on me as did the sales guy.

Comment

Originally posted by fauxshow View Post
                            My dad gave me his Rolex Datejust as a college graduation present last year, I rarely wear it because I'm not sure if I like the gold/silver look and don't really know what to wear it with. I would rather have a Speedy but of course selling it is out of the question.

Beautiful gift! I'd put that guy on a nice chocolate brown strap. Gold or two-tone with the full bracelet bracelet can look a bit gaudy or dated. Leather tones it down and classes it up. I think you will like it better that way. Some possible inspiration:

Ben

Comment

Here is my modest collection.
                              The Mk II Kingston was worn for my wedding.
                              Benarus Bronze has had a few dips in the ocean, hoping to get it a nice patina.

Comment

I have the Navy Blue Tag Heuer Carerra Heritage and the Cartier American solo Tank.

http://blog.perpetuelle.com/baselwor...age-caliber-6/

http://www.cartier.com/collections/t...ch-large-model

Btw, what's the best site for me to upload photos to so I can post them on here?

Comment

Working...
                                X