topcoat vs peacoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

topcoat vs peacoat

Which should i get? Im 29 and 5'10" weighing in at 200pounds. I have stocky/build.

For the topcoat-

Im thinking about getting it from BR or J Crew. The BR topcoat fits great on the shoulders but a little loose around the waist. I might need to get it altered. I haven't tried on the JCrew yet.

As for the Peacoat-

Im looking into either a Schott or spiewak peacoat. http://www.zappos.com/product/7679564/color/29105 the spiewak fits good on me.

Which should i get for my age and body type. And I think the topcoat looks more slimming on me.

My first instinct was that the topcoat would look more slimming on your frame since it's longer and traditionally the lapels are more narrow than a peacoat. You can always get it taken in, my tailor charges about $18 for that.

Not sure what your needs are. If you dress business casual more often than casual, then the topcoat is a better fit too IMO.

I don't think age has anything to do with it personally, I have seen men of all ages pull off both coats.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

Wouldnt larger lapels look more slimming? correct me if im wrong.

Comment

I guess I should have phrased it another way. I think the lapels on a peacoat are extra wide, and to me, the eye follows the lapel (horizontally in this case). I wouldn't recommend skinny lapels here either, I just think that a short jacket plus wide lapels makes someone look wider. Ideally dappereddon would find a topcoat (a longer length coat) with medium-sized lapels.

In general I think lapels should be sized to the body type; IE I'm 6'1", 200-210, 41 jacket and skinny lapels make me look wider than I am. I tend to go with medium-sized lapels.

Just my opinion, curious to see what the other gents think.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

I have both and like both. They're just different. I wear the peacoat as a more casual coat, and I'll be wearing the topcoat to replace my trench coat when it gets colder out as my outerwear over work clothes.

For what it's worth, I think the peacoat is more slimming because it really emphasizes wide shoulders and breaks up the line of your body. The top coat will be a solid line from shoulders down to mid-thigh to knee.

I'm 5'11" and about 195# and that's how they fit me anyway.

Comment

Peacoat, IMO, looking at your dimensions, you will look slimmed in the peacoat, the wider lapels will shorten your upper body and the length (slight above the thigh) will make you look longer. I have never been a big fan of the driving coat but I saw one on valet that look very nice albeit the thing costed like a mortgage payment...lol

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
            I>0<I

Comment

Everywhere i read, peacoats or anything doublebreast often give a box like appearance due to it buttons locations and the extra fabric. Prove me wrong?

Comment

Comment

^Those are some of the best fitting peacoats I've ever seen. Thanks for the pics.

Comment

Working...
                  X