Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

tailoring an entire wool coat down 2 sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tailoring an entire wool coat down 2 sizes?

Is this possible? I found a nice looking coat from hart schaffner marx that is 90% wool and 10% cashmere the other day, but it is a 38R and i can at the max fit into a 37R without looking weird. 36R is usually my suit size. Any ideas on if this can be done? would it be really expensive? the coat is only 200 dollars which is great for the quality i think. It would need a total overhaul, body, arms, length, everything.

find a smaller coat. it'll cost you way less than fixing this one

Comment

i looked everywhere under the sun, burlington, bloomingdales, syms, nordstrom, macys, sears, saks, filenes, everywhere i could get to all day last weekend. and the lowest anybody seems to go is 38R. that coat was the nicest wool/quality to price ratio i found.

Comment

post up the coat, maybe the collective can find you alternatives

Comment

i cannot find it online for a picture. it was at a discount moshpit store, SYMS. it said Hart Schaffner Marx, Sandhurst on it, but that doesnt turn up anything on the google.

it was black, 90/10 wool/cashmere, nothing fancy, single buttons down the middle, middle vent, and two slanted pockets on the side.s.

Comment

I think the big problem is that even with a total overhaul, the fit will still be off in the shoulders. So the question you need to ask yourself is whether it's worth it to spend $200 and over $100 in tailoring for a coat that still won't fit you well. It might be close, but no cigar.

Tailoring prices vary, but for reference, the trench I recently had tailored cost $85. I had it taken in and the overall length shortened. The camel coat that I'm just having taken in cost $40. I would conservatively guess that your full overhaul will cost $100, at the very least, as you will likely need both the sleeves and the body taken in and shortened, and possibly the back seam taken in to try to correct the shoulder fit as well. And the tailoring will probably take a couple weeks, as well.

My advice is to keep looking, and perhaps consider looking at coats with a lower wool ratio blend. There are some really nice ones out there that will fit you better for a fraction of the price you're going to end up spending on the 38R, with very little sacrifice in overall quality.

Ben

Comment

it is basically this coat with different pockets

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Hart-Schaffner-Marx-Mens-Cashmere-Blend-Top-Coat/5113361/product.html

but these also only go down to 38r

Comment

This J.Crew Factory coat has gotten pretty good word-of-mouth reviews. Not sure on the blend but I'd bet the small would fit you better than a 38R would. http://www.jcrew.com/mens_factory_ca...~~~~/34186.jsp

Ben

Comment

i have been looking believe me ben, almost settled for a thin 40% because it fit. but it was not warm at all. im just out of places to look. all the big department stores only seem to carry 38 and above. and i am wary about risking an online purchase and sending it back and forth every time if i dont like it.

Comment

Have you visited a GAP or Banana Republic? They have pretty good stuff for the money. This topcoat looks quite a bit like yours and comes as small as an XS. It's $50 more, of course, but BR and GAP frequently go on sale. http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=32658&vid=1&pid=875022&scid=8750220 02

Plus it's well over the free shipping threshold and you can return stuff for free in stores. Even if your store doesn't have exactly what you're looking for, you can always order online and return in stores without incurring any shipping costs to yourself.

Ben

Comment

that looks really nice! i will definitely be looking for it the next time i am near a banana republic. thank you for the heads up

Comment

@Omar, you may want to look this weekend since they're having a 30-50% off sale:

http://threads.dappered.com/topic/banana-republic-30-50-off-1-item-in-store-this-weekend

Also have to agree with what's been said so far. My tailor charges $18 on sleeve length, $18 to take in the sides, and $18 to shorten a jacket. So I've paid up to $55 to tailor a jacket that was my size (in the shoulders). Have you tried thrift stores?

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

Yak.. do you live in NY? recomend me a tailor

Comment

Hmm sorry mate, I don't. Dirty South.

Recommend a Tailor sounds like a good thread idea. I found mine through Yelp. I've also brought the same garment to multiple tailors and asked them to "fix it", playing dumb. I wanted to see what they recommended and what their solutions were to my issues (large rear compared to waist, etc).

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

Working...
                            X