Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe G.
    replied

Re: SteinMart, I've shopped there for the last 3 years or so. Unfortunately the one near my house closed over the summer, so I haven't been to one since.

But it's always been a great place to go. I've purchased at least 2 or 3 blazers from there over the years (usually the Flusser line) and they are always stocked with neckwear and dress shirts. I'll definitely go back to SteinMart when I find a new location.

Re: Daffy's, I've been there once or twice and was unimpressed. But, I know that it's "hit or miss", so I chalked it up as a miss. I would certainly go back since the store is generally reviewed very favorably.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

Nothing struck your fancy in the ties? They have a lot of the same brands of ties as Macy's but for less than 1/3rd the price. Same with the cufflinks and tie bars.

Leave a comment:

• Ben
    replied

I had never heard of steinmart until this thread, googled it, and apparently there is one a few miles away.

went and checked it out, but nothing spectacular. Lauren RL, and a bunch of poor fitting blazers and pants from brands I had never heard of. oh well, got some new socks

Leave a comment:

• Bookman
    replied

I go to the Daffy's in Philadelphia quite a little bit. It is like Marshalls in that sometimes it has good inventory, and sometimes there is nothing worthwhile. That said, when it does hit, it can have inventory which is far-and-above anything Marshalls, TJ Max, etc... has. You have to know what you are doing; but, they have a lot of great italian brands that you really can't find anywhere else...

Leave a comment:

• jose_jackson
    replied

Whoa. Sounds like yours is even better stocked than mine. I saw Lauren RL (off-brand)jackets and such, but no Polo except for maybe a few long sleeve t-shirts and socks. I also didn't notice that many bow ties.

I think this'll be the first place I go to from now on for accessories.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

I went back to Stein Mart today for their Veteran's Day sale. With their 30% off on neckwear and these coupons:

http://f.chtah.com/i/24/2075620050/11_11_14HrSale_Vet_Coupons.pdf

I got 2 more Rooster bow ties for $20.78

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

Thanks so much for the suggestion of Stein Mart! I went this evening and got a tie bar for $10 and a Rooster bow tie for $12 (after the 20% off coupon you get when you sign up). I'm going to wear the bow tie tomorrow.

They have a lot of pretty good quality stuff for good prices. Alan Flusser cashmere sweaters were $99. Polo RL sportcoats were like $125. Lots of hats and outerwear. It's all around Macy's quality. A lot of the Nautica ties I've seen at Macy's for around $50 were there for around $15. The same dress shirts that are at Macy's (Geoffrey Beene, etc) were there for $20-25. Lots of cufflinks and tie bars for $10-20.

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

Interesting... There's a Stein Mart around here, but I've never been. I'll have to check it out.

Leave a comment:

• jose_jackson
    replied

Has anyone ever been to Stein Mart? Went yesterday for the first time. Always passed it up because I assumed it was a grocery store. It's actually more like a Marshall's/Ross geared towards classic style. In other words, It has department store stuff at Marshall's prices without the heaps of urban wear.

I grabbed a preppy looking Vinyard Vines belt for $15. I'll almost certainly go back to buy cuff links or a tie bar (they had tons of them) as well as some CK-style boxer briefs and GTH red or yellow Polo socks. They also had a nice outerwear selection with London Fog, Columbia, and Timberland jackets.

My only beef was that they only had huge sizes. They had some pretty good looking dress shirts, but the smallest size was a medium (which of course is way too big for anyone that cares about fit). Several of them were even tailored/slim-fit, but the smallest person they would fit would be 6'2 190.

Leave a comment:

• ChrisW
    replied

There is a Target at 116th street and Pleasant ave. Take the 6 train to 116th street and it is a 4 block walk.

I bought a cardigan at Daffy's once. The signal to noise ratio in that place is pretty bad though.

Leave a comment:

• VinnyV
    replied

Yeah I figured Daffys was nationwide but I guess not.

We have all these stores in New York, but no Target. The closest one to the city is about a 20 minute drive away.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

Another reason we praise Target is because there's one (or two) on every corner. As a Rocky Mountains guy, it's hard for me to get excited about stores that only operate ~2000 miles from me.

Leave a comment:

• VinnyV
    replied

I've never went shopping in Daffy's. It's a discount clothes store like Marshalls. They sell other brands at discount prices but they have a house brand. The shirt my brother was wearing was Daffy's house brand.

So yeah I'll try to check it out because I work near one and I'll give you a heads up. Theres a few stores here in the city.

Leave a comment:

• MaxMan
    replied

Il be in NYC on Thurs, if i am in that area i will swing by there see whats up. but i am still not clear as to what type of store this is. I suppose thier stuff is new, so its like a b&m gilt? or is it like a Marshalls?

Leave a comment:

• jason_carreira
    replied

Never heard of it before... Looks to be only in the NYC tri-state area

Leave a comment:

Working...
X