Need help finding shoes for groomsmen's outfits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help finding shoes for groomsmen's outfits

My buddy made me the groomsman in charge of figuring out what we should all wear for his wedding coming up in June. It's a day-time, outdoor, casual affair, so I suggested and the bride approved the J. Crew Factory Thompson suit in corded cotton, which was reviewed by Dappered here: http://dappered.com/2013/03/in-perso...-cotton-suits/ .

The bridesmaids' dresses are a deep purple, so we're matching them with a similarly colored tie, also from JCF, in addition to white shirts and pocket squares and silver tie bars. Getting some of the other groomsmen to buy another suit, even at such a low price, was worse than pulling teeth, so I'm worried about them balking at the idea of getting a new pair of shoes as well even though they're going to have to.

Any ideas on a solid pair of shoes that would go well with that ensemble at a decent price? I was thinking maybe a tan suede.

navy Bass Bucks?

Comment

I see it a little too often lately, but how about chucks?

Comment

Take a poll on what types of shoes everyone already has. If most people have a particular shoe type (tan suede chukkas, black cap-toe bluchers, etc) that looks pretty good with the suit just ask the rest if they could buy that type of shoe and give them some examples. That way you aren't coming off as "unreasonable" by any stretch.
        Measurements: 6'2", 173 lbs, 16" neck, 35/36" sleeve, 42" chest, 32" waist, 33.5" inseam

Comment

Originally posted by mikanad View Post
          <rant>Chucks meaning Chuck Taylors? No. Ech. No. Some people like sneakers with suits, but I can't stand it. This is a wedding, one of the few times most everyone at least attempts to dress up. You should too.</rant>

Alternatively, I think you could go with tan/taupe suede bucks, light brown wingtips, or even loafers.

Comment

Originally posted by mikanad View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Fred G. Unn View Post
              You're more of a Chacos kind of guy?

Comment

Originally posted by bremersm View Post
                navy Bass Bucks?
                seconded on the bass buck idea, but I'd go for the jugular and do white (as a recent convert).

Maybe up it some and get the jcrew ones that were featured on the mothership today and use this week's coupon?

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...3275/43275.jsp

Comment

I have little experience with wedding parties, but it comes as a bit of a surprise to me that a new footwear purchase would be required. I would think asking for something like a brown leather dress shoe would be perfectly sufficient.
                  Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                    I have little experience with wedding parties, but it comes as a bit of a surprise to me that a new footwear purchase would be required. I would think asking for something like a brown leather dress shoe would be perfectly sufficient.
                    Agreed, chance for individuality.
                    6'4" 210lbs, 40L, 15.5/35, 35x34

Comment

let them pick their own shoes. You already made them all match in suit, shirt, tie, etc. Give them a color and let them run with it.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                        +1. Nobody's going to notice the groomsmen's shoes unless they're hideous. If a groomsman doesn't own a pair of brown oxfords, you should promptly man-slap him and then declare that you were erroneous in calling him a man.
                        Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Comment

I was just married last month and was totally anal about the groomsmen's outfits. But for shoes, I just said black oxfords, and make sure they were shined. And in the email, I gave them a couple of links to good looking oxfords should they need to replace their square-toed sketchers (3 of teh 4 are all engineers). No one will notice shoes if they are basically the same color, and no one will care that they don't match perfectly even if they aren't.

Comment

via Put This On: http://putthison.com/post/334425916/weddingattireformen

"Shoes, as in all of the daytime options, should be simple oxfords or balmorals, well-shined. Balmorals are distinguished from bluchers, which are more casual, by their enclosed lacing. Above are pictured a nice pair with a cap toe and punch decoration (broguing) along the toe seam. More decoration means more casual - a similar style without the broguing is also appropriate. Strictly speaking, you can wear balmoral boots (though they’re tough to find for less than a thousand dollars or so). A simple cap-toed balmoral is a shoe that can be worn in almost any situation, and is a very worthwhile investment shoe."

Comment

Balking at the idea of buying new shoes? I don't blame them.

With a suit at at least 180 (on sale) + tie, shirt, PS, tie bar AND new shoes you are looking at at least $300+ I would assume.

Now maybe this is a well off circle of groomsmen but I wouldn't be in a buddy's wedding if he told me I had to spend that amount of dough. I would make sure you aren't setting up your friend to be resented by his groomsmen.

I got married last summer and had my groomsmen all buy the same suit for about $120 (it was the cheapest all wool option I could find on sale) They could spend more to tailor if they wanted. I bought the ties, and they all wore their own white shirt, shoes, belts, etc. I thought that was a burden but at least somewhat reasonable considering most these guys didn't have suits to begin with

Comment

Working...
                              X