Clueless with casual shoes, need some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clueless with casual shoes, need some help

I can pick out a decent pair of dress shoes, maybe some boots, and Converse, but that's the extent of my shoe comfort area.

As the weather is turning and the boots are staying in the closet more and I really only wear Converse since my Sperry's bit the dust.

I need some ideas that fit the spectrum from casual up to dress shoes and I guess this is an area of taste which I have yet to develop. Any ideas or guidance is helpful!

I really like this guide from Reddit. It covers just about every type of mens shoe (that you should be wearing).

http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashiona...hoe_guide_v20/

Comment

Great link, thanks so much.

The camp mocs look good, I really like the LL Bean and Sebago camp mocs, and may opt for that as a way around boat shoes. I guess I need to spend some more time looking at bucks and loafers and how they fit in with mid-casual styles. I almost picked up some Clarks, but want to focus on shorts eligible shoes as I'll be in a hot, humid climate for the summer.

I think one of my current difficulties is figuring out how to dress in general now that it's warming up. I'm in the midwest in a professional school, so although people are adult, I'm wearing a backpack and things are pretty casual, so the idea of loafers seems out of place to me.

I'll also have to check out reddit, I never knew there was a subreddit for men's style.

Comment

Yeah, the issue of what to wear with shorts is always tricky. When you're in college, sandals and boat shoes work fine, but it doesn't work as well if/once you enter the "young professional" stage.

I think a subtle pair of penny loafers is a good option, personally. They're a little more logical/stylish than the omnipresent boat shoes, as they're basically warm weather dress shoes you can wear without socks. Journeys supposedly sells some good "loafer socks", though.

The trick is finding ones that fit you - no laces and a low vamp can be unforgiving, particularly if you have a narrow heel. If you have a Bass outlet near you, you could try on some Weejuns, which should only run you $60-70 at an outlet.

Comment

Originally posted by KNC85 View Post
          Yeah, the issue of what to wear with shorts is always tricky. When you're in college, sandals and boat shoes work fine, but it doesn't work as well if/once you enter the "young professional" stage.
          I've you've already decided to wear something as casual as shorts, I don't think you need to worry about looking that "professional." If you want to look professional, stick with some lightweight chinos instead of shorts.

I think boat shoes work well with shorts, no matter the age, as do sneakers (Vans, Converse, etc.). With loafers, I've only got one pair (AE Randolph) but they're a touch too formal-looking to wear with shorts.

Comment

What about the MacAllister's talked about in today's JCrew post? http://dappered.com/2013/04/j-crew-2...st-sale-items/

Or bucks, that's another casual shoe that can be worn in the spring/summer. Lot of people are wearing them without socks, some even with shorts. Google a bit and you can see that trend and decide if you like it.

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
              I've you've already decided to wear something as casual as shorts, I don't think you need to worry about looking that "professional." If you want to look professional, stick with some lightweight chinos instead of shorts.

I think boat shoes work well with shorts, no matter the age, as do sneakers (Vans, Converse, etc.). With loafers, I've only got one pair (AE Randolph) but they're a touch too formal-looking to wear with shorts.
              +1. If you're already in shorts, boat shoes work fine as do certain sneakers (/w ankle socks).

But really you can do pretty much everything with a pair of jeans or chinos except some particularly formal black (and maybe brown) shoes. You might want to pick up a nicer pair of sneakers than some beat up Converse - contrary to the reddit article, you can usually find "fashion sneakers" at a pretty cheap level if you wait for a sale or find your size on a discount site - well under $100 and probably more like $50. They're good for when you need something fresh. Of course boat shoes, as mentioned, are another option.

I don't like loafers so I would skip that, but I guess a lot of people would have you go there as the next level of formality. Bucks/Desert Boots would be an option as something more formal than a sneaker but below "formal."

Of course IMO you're also fine just using "dress shoes" as casual shoes most of the time. There's no reason you couldn't wear a good number of AE's, things like the Franciscan, McAllister, Dalton, Strand, etc. with jeans/chinos. A pair of black Park or Fifth Aves would look off but most of their other styles available don't. Particularly if you're going out at night for whatever reason it's an easy way to make your outfit look a lot better without too much effort or looking like you're trying too hard.

Comment

Desert boot and camp mock are both indispensable IMO. I'm really over boat shoes and but recently just bought a pair of 4 eye mocs and I think they achieve the same look but the minor differences go a long way in making it look nicer and not as casual. Some other options on the fringes...a pair of suede bucks and a little bit nicer looking pair of white sneakers, say a Tretorn nylite or addidas stan smith?
                "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Working...
                X