Help Me Decide: JCF Navy vs. USED Barney's (by Caruso) Navy Suit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Me Decide: JCF Navy vs. USED Barney's (by Caruso) Navy Suit

I received the navy JCF suit the other day. I really like the color and the fit's good but maybe could go in a bit at the waist, but the material is definitely on the wimpy side. The local consignment store has a beautiful traditional navy suit for Barney's house brand (black label, which I did some digging and is made by Caruso) with shoulders that are much softer looking (there's padding but it's a molded curve instead of being straight, and ends at the perfect length so it doesn't jut out) and super 130's wool, made in Italy. Great condition and it fits decently already but my tailor can knock an inch out of the chest and waist to make it fit even better. JCF suit was around $160 and the Barney's suit is going to be $140 + tailoring (around 45 for jacket and pants based on my tailor's usual rates).

I don't have pics of the Barney's suit but it looks a lot like this in navy: http://www.barneys.com/Suits/mens-su...s%20New%20York

What would you do?

And bonus question: used jeans, yes or no? I wear thrifted clothes and shoes all of the time but I've had an aversion to thrifted denim. Nevertheless the same consignment store has a pair of gently worn Tellason jeans that fit me *perfectly* all around for $60. I've seen similar pairs go on SF for $75-90 either used or (rarely) NWOT. They look as if they've been washed once but there's no fading, no tears, no distress marks at all.

Is JCF J Crew Factory? Are you positive it's Caruso? Can you post a pic of the tag? (or check the SF labels thread) I have 2 Caruso suits (from when CLAD Men went under) and 1 Caruso for Drakes SC (from NYC pop-up sale). As long as the Caruso suit is in good condition without moth holes or anything, there really is no comparison between a fully canvassed Caruso and J Crew Factory at all. One is cranked out by a machine in a factory in Asia, and the other is handmade by some of the world's finest tailors in Italy. If you were lucky enough to realize that you found a Caruso in good condition in your size at a consignment shop, then you probably already know the answer to your question.

Comment

JCF = J. Crew Factory. I'm not 100% positive, I can go back tomorrow and take a picture of the tag. I checked the SF labels thread but I don't see any caruso labels, if you have better luck please hook me up w/ a link. I had the intention of snapping a photo today but I totally forgot to. Should definitely check to see if it's fully canvassed or half, as if it's half it's another (italian) brand. I didn't see any moth holes.

Here's one of the threads that leads me to believe it's by Caruso. If it's not but the Made in Italy means it is Canali or some other Italian maker then still go for it over the JCF?

http://www.styleforum.net/t/229007/b...ts-any-good/15

Comment

As much as I love JCF suits, if you can get a "real" suit that fits you as well (or better) for the same price, you should get that instead.

Assuming it's in like-new condition, etc etc.
        Ben

Comment

So I'm working off of memory but it looked really similar to the following Caruso tags:
          http://www.styleforum.net/t/24109/ho...0#post_1058231
          http://www.styleforum.net/t/24109/ho...0#post_2171527

So I'm getting excited. It's a 40R but the shoulders are perfect. The chest and waist are, as I said, big on me but I know the tailor can work those as I'm usually a 38R/39.5" chest.

Edit: I have to add - the pants are in my size but she sent them out to the cleaners and have been there for longer than she expected. We're both getting worried that the cleaner may have damaged/lost them at this point. I'm checking back Tuesday or Wednesday to see if she finally has them in.
          Last edited by LosRockets; April 19, 2013, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Just took a couple of crummy cell pics of one of mine:
            Inside right pocket. My Drake's has this too even though it's missing the left pocket tag (sample sale)

Inside left pocket (Caruso EU50=smallish US40)

Comment

Go for the Barney's suit.

I would take (and do) my thrifted Brooks Brothers over my JCF any day. The BB makes me feel way more confident and puts a smile on my face. I love wearing it.

Comment

Fred, I really appreciate it the pics. I'm almost positive I saw the middle tag, I need to look again for the first one. I believe it said 50/8R on the tag. All I know is the pants are my waist... I'm really hoping they're of sufficient length and unpleated. @Dpdk - As long as things shake out correctly with the pants and it's indeed Caruso I'll take it. If it's not Caruso but rather some other Made in Italy Barney's house label suit, I'll double check the canvassing and figure things out from there.

Comment

Los, I believe that you need a professional's opinion on the matter. For a small fee I will allow you to mail the Caruso suit to me, and after an extensive review period of 3-5 years I will send you my professional opinion concerning its quality of construction, style, and longevity.

Comment

Oh the sadness. I called the owner today and she thinks she's misplaced the pants and cannot find them anywhere, not at the drycleaner where she sends the clothes and not at home. She says that they're possibly in one last bag in her garage but she's not sure.

=(

Comment

Ouch, looks like you got screwed on a wicked deal

Pleats can be removed from pants, had it done on friends Brooks Brothers 1818 suit btw

Comment

Working...
                      X