Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AE Fifth avenues for 285$ is this a good deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AE Fifth avenues for 285$ is this a good deal?

It would be brand new. I have a friend that can give me discount at Nordstrom. I don't own any other nice dark brown shoes so this will my 1st nice pair. What do you think, can I get them cheaper?

I bought them new from Amazon (through Amazon) for $200 last October, so no this is not a good deal IMO. You can definitely get them cheaper. I've never paid full price for a pair of Allen Edmonds:
    Gently used brown Kenilworth: 120 shipped
    Barely used black Park Avenue: 160 shipped (overpaid for these)
    New brown Fifth Avenue: 200 shipped
    Walnut Players and suede Malverns: $200 for 2 (highway robbery during an incredible seconds sale)

Comment

eBay is the ultimate untapped resource for a lot of people. Even when sold new, eBay sellers often cut the prices.

285 is what you might expect at eBay though. 200 new from Amazon sounds like a miracle so it may or may not happen again. Yes, amazon is often very cheap, but for brands like AE, they generally charge retail and discounts only occur when sizes certain sizes are in vast abundance.

Comment

nope.

Comment

I bought these for $30

That price is way too high. Between the AE shoebank and Ebay you can find much better deals.

Comment

Dam, not sure what to do. I have no idea if amazon will ever have them fro 200$ again. I will check out Ebay and see what they have. So, I guess getting it at 285$ is not a good deal. Ok. thanks guys.

Comment

i signed up for an alert email if the price gets to a certain point on amazon. i know they have been down to $230 on amazon in the past couple months. i forget the site i used, but you should be able to google it easily. also amazon frequently does $25 off shoe sales.

Comment

I think it is safe to assume that through Amazon or direct from Allen Edmonds you will be able to find them for 25% to 30% off at some point, a couple times a year. I would expect it won't take long before you find them $235 to $250, which is where I would not have any issue buying them. I tend to prioritize brand new / legitimate retailer / return policy / free shipping over the lowest absolute price.

Comment

BTW, SF member "allaboutshoes" can get AE firsts at a pretty substantial discount anytime you want. 2-3 week wait and no returns, but if you know your AE size it's a way to save some $$$. Here's the thread:
                  http://www.styleforum.net/t/263225/i...rs-sizes/0_100
                  PM him for price, he can't list it publicly.

Comment

Personally, I would not buy new unless you can easily afford the shoes. Used can be very good and since they can be recrafted/repaired, even the beat up ones might be worth your time.

Comment

Fred, he saying 259 plus 15 shipping is 274. I can get for 285 at nordstrom and don't have to wait weeks and weeks.

what you guys think now? I didn't see my size on ebay

Comment

I was so excited to buy my first pair of AE (the black PA) that I jumped the gun and paid more than I ever would now for them. Whether you're trying to get into good shoes or good clothing in general for the first time, I can't stress enough the importance of patience. What you've said is you don't own any nice dark brown shoes, but you haven't said whether you *need* them right now. What's your shoe size? I can understand the difficulty in finding shoes on Ebay for cheap if you're a common size (I'm a 10D), but that being said you'd still pay no more than $200 shipped for AE Fifth Avenues.

Have you used this Ebay search to find nice shoes in your size: http://thisfits.me/post/8137472336/u...ay-shoe-search ?
                        It's what I use, I have it set as a saved search and check a few times a week. Look through both "Ending Soon" and "Newly Listed". If this isn't an urgent need just be patient, you'll be happy that you saved the money.

Comment

ok. I guess i'm not in a huge hurry, just want to get one and join the AE club. Ok let me continue checking and thanks for the link.

my shoe size in 12D AE, i went and got meaured at an AE store a couple weeks ago.
                          thanks for all your help. I honestly would like to get it NEW, i'm a bit weird about wearing other folks old shoes; it just me, i'm weirdo. So, I would pay a bit more for brand new.

Comment

In that case make sure to email the AE Shoebank ([email protected]) or the AE Freeport store ([email protected]) to ask for their inventory on 12D shoes in seconds and ask if they have any ongoing or upcoming sales every 6-8 weeks. You'll get new (factory second) shoes at a nice price. There's a seconds sale going on right now by the way.

Comment

sounds good. Thanks for all your guidance. One.

Comment

Working...
                              X