Prom...twice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prom...twice

As a high school senior, I'm going to be attending not one, but two (!) proms. (With two different dates... this is proof that dressing well does get the ladies!)

A tux rental runs about 150, so I figured I'd just fork out the 224 for this: http://us.asos.com/ASOS-Skinny-Fit-T....ac=rec_viewed

And put it with http://us.asos.com/ASOS-Smart-Shirt/...2365&WT.srch=1 (yes, it lacks French cuffs, but it has a covered placket and is cheap since the Natty sale isn't running anymore; anybody have a French cuff alternative?)

And a bowtie in colors matching my dates. (I was planning on picking up two for 15 bucks a pop at the Tie Bar, setting me back 36 total; unless anybody knows of cheaper alternatives)

In total, that costs me 286.

So the questions:

Is a waistcoat/cummerbund necessary? I feel like that would start to run up the cost above the 300.

Shoes. I don't have nice black dress shoes, although I hear those can be rented. Or are there suggestions? I don't think I want to invest in AEs just yet; something to get me by would be nice.

Also, general suggestions are appreciated and encouraged.

Mikey, we recently had another thread that covered the same topic.

From my perspective that tuxedo looks silly, and I think that it is a waste to spend so much money on something that you'll never wear in your adult life. That being said, I only took one woman to prom back in the day.

If you want a traditional tuxedo, look for a single-breasted, one button, peak lapel jacket. Wear a tuxedo shirt and a cummerbund, or a vest.

Assuming that you're over 18, you might want to slip a metal cigar/cigarette box filled with condoms into your breast pocket. A card holder that snaps shut also works, but it holds less condoms. It's always nice to carry insurance for after-party festivities.

I like your idea of the bow ties matching their dresses. It's cute, and you're likely to score points.

Have fun, and don't take the whole event too seriously.
    Last edited by bruschetta; April 18, 2013, 01:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
      As a high school senior, I'm going to be attending not one, but two (!) proms. (With two different dates... this is proof that dressing well does get the ladies!)

A tux rental runs about 150, so I figured I'd just fork out the 224 for this: http://us.asos.com/ASOS-Skinny-Fit-T....ac=rec_viewed

And put it with http://us.asos.com/ASOS-Smart-Shirt/...2365&WT.srch=1 (yes, it lacks French cuffs, but it has a covered placket and is cheap since the Natty sale isn't running anymore; anybody have a French cuff alternative?)

And a bowtie in colors matching my dates. (I was planning on picking up two for 15 bucks a pop at the Tie Bar, setting me back 36 total; unless anybody knows of cheaper alternatives)

In total, that costs me 286.

So the questions:

Is a waistcoat/cummerbund necessary? I feel like that would start to run up the cost above the 300.

Shoes. I don't have nice black dress shoes, although I hear those can be rented. Or are there suggestions? I don't think I want to invest in AEs just yet; something to get me by would be nice.

Also, general suggestions are appreciated and encouraged.
      Props on being well dressed while still in high school!

As far as the tux, that seems like a solid plan with the ASOS suit (renting isn't even an option to be honest). Call me old fashioned, but when it comes to suits, I always like to try them on just in case, and I have purchased stuff on ASOS that ran a bit large in the past. So it's your call, and always consider a bit of tailoring into your budget.
      When it comes to shoes, if you have a DSW nearby, I highly suggest that you check it out. I picked up a pair of Cole-Haan oxfords for for $60 and they're gorgeous.

I'll tell you what I did for my prom back in 2010, I decided to skip the tux and got myself a nice black suit from Zara. They still had stuff made out of wool back then, haha. I saved a ton of money that way, got to try on the suit that I wanted, and I out-dressed people wearing rented tuxes that were 3 sizes too big. I also made sure to get a vest and a tie that matched my date!
      Check out this suit from Zara: http://www.zara.com/webapp/wcs/store...L+FABRIC+SUITS

Also, check out this guide, but you probably won't need it:
      http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/0...guide-to-prom/

Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
        Mikey, we recently had another thread that covered the same topic.
        Yeah; I wasn't sure whether I should threadjack or not. Most other forums I'm on look down on that sort of thing, so I wasn't sure.

Will I never wear it in my adult life? I know it's not exactly traditional, but navy with a shawl lapel doesn't seem horribly out there; it's a touch dandyish, sure. I know they're very on trend right now, although you're right in that I may want to reconsider whether I'll get any use out of it further down the line.

Also I laughed at the condom tip, but I do appreciate it; good to know I have people looking out for me :P

@postigo: Sizing is a good point, and probably the thing I'm most concerned with. If I want it I need to pull the trigger tonight, so does anybody have tips for ASOS sizing? My Hickey Freeman is a 36 and might be a tad tight; my Bar III suit is a 38 and might be a touch wide. They advise 38 so I was going to size up and bring in the waist? Not sure.

Comment

You really only want to buy one tuxedo in your life. You're not going to want to wear that one again.

Comment

Originally posted by aps2012 View Post
            You really only want to buy one tuxedo in your life. You're not going to want to wear that one again.
            That's assuming that you can even fit into it in a few years. Believe it or not, most adults can't fit into their high-school clothes! Investing in good clothing is smart, but maybe hold off until your body shape stabilizes more.

Just to give you some background, the cummerbund traditionally serves two purposes: firstly, it covers the waist, which is generally the most unruly part of a tuxedo outfit (because of the shirt/pant interface). Secondly, it provides a place to stick opera tickets. This is why the folds point up. Currently, the cummerbund is under attack. Purists (e.g. Esquire editors) will tell you that you're not a man if you're running tux-sans-bund. Others (e.g. GQ editors) will tell you that the cummerbund is outdated and out-of-vogue. It comes down to taste, and cummerbunds fluctuate in popularity with fashion cycles.

The waistcoat is really a matter of taste. Wear it if you want it, but most people won't need it unless they plan to dance a lot.

Anyways, if you decide on either a bundy or vest, make sure that it covers your waist. Otherwise, what's the point?
            Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Comment

Wear a midnight blue tuxedo to an event after you've reached the pinnacle of success in life. Until then, the traditional black.

My brother bought a tux in high school and hasn't worn it since...and never will again. It just isn't a great time to buy. You have exceptional circumstances, so it might make sense to. If you do, it's another reason to not be out with "the same blue tuxedo as the last prom" you went to. Black is always going to be boss at formals.

Comment

You could try itailor if you have time.

And you dont' need a cummerbund or a vest/waistcoat for a tux, I don't think any of the Bond's have worn them even.

waistcoat would be a must with a tailcoat but you probably won't ever need one of those.
                Last edited by shad0w4life; April 18, 2013, 04:45 PM.

Comment

I like the black suit idea. That at least covers funerals and nightclubs for several of years. It's smart to look at alternatives to renting a tux but whatever you could wear to a prom simply isn't going to get much use after. So a black suit seems the most versatile and practical of the options discussed.

Comment

Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
                    And you dont' need a cummerbund or a vest/waistcoat for a tux, I don't think any of the Bond's have worn them even.
                    Connery did: http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/wp-co...ner-Suit-2.jpg

Craig doesn't, but then again, how many of us have abs like Daniel?
                    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DXLi View Post
                      Connery did: http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/wp-co...ner-Suit-2.jpg

Craig doesn't, but then again, how many of us have abs like Daniel?
                      Does that look like it's around his hips and brown? That looks better than the ones around peoples belly's though.

Daniel Craig doesn't really have much showing for abs;he has some definition but not a I dehydrated myself for a content prep and had airbrushing done look. I applaud them for casting him as a more naturally built figure when there's guys like Bale and Jackman dropping 30 lbs and gaining 30 lbs of muscle in 4 months with some "assistance" drugs setting the expectations for people way too high.

Comment

Originally posted by Idle_Hands View Post
                        I like the black suit idea. That at least covers funerals and nightclubs for several of years. It's smart to look at alternatives to renting a tux but whatever you could wear to a prom simply isn't going to get much use after. So a black suit seems the most versatile and practical of the options discussed.
                        Sorry, I really disagree with this. Yes it's necessary for funerals, but honestly IMO this is the part of your wardrobe where you can save money. You're heading into college, you're honestly probably not going to be going to nightclubs until you're 21-22 at the earliest (you'll be doing most of your partying on-campus where shorts, flip flops, and a college t-shirt are perfectly acceptable, and if you go off campus I'm 99% certain it won't be to a suit jacket type of place with any regularity). And frankly if I were a girl looking to find a guy at a nightclub, it wouldn't be the one in a black suit - especially not a black suit you're buying at 17 or 18 on a budget.

Rent a tux. You've got a trim build and it's going to be hard to find something OTR that fits you well...buying a black suit or a tux is just throwing money away for something you'll barely use or grow out of. I've seen your WIWT and you dress pretty well already, so if you want to grab a blazer in college get an unstructured cotton/linen blend or a more structured navy wool for presentations, interviews, dates, formals, and really anything in college. Pick up a suit as a junior when you start thinking about post-school work/summer internships/graduate school interviews.

Comment

Originally posted by nicholascrawford View Post
                          If you do, it's another reason to not be out with "the same blue tuxedo as the last prom" you went to. Black is always going to be boss at formals.
                          Yeah, this is possibly the catch. On the one hand, it might be a cool statement. On the other hand, it might be too obvious.

@shad0w: I really appreciate the reassurance that I don't need the two; that's a plus. A black suit is unlikely to happen because I'm not willing to drop significant money on a black suit which I'll never wear and I'm very much an adherent to the idea of wearing a tux and matching your date, even if it is tacky. I don't know; it's prom haha.

My perspective on the tux is that I'm only buying because it's cheaper than renting, so if I never wear it again it after these two proms it was technically still a superior investment to rentals. Also, given my current dimensions, I suppose it's unlikely that by the time I get to any black tie event (post college, most likely), I'll either have kept working out and thus my shoulders will be broader, or I'll have given up and gained weight and won't fit the tux regardless. Also, it would appear that prom is going to be the only time I ever get a chance to pull off a navy tux :P

Still thinking about it. Hm. Thanks a lot; you guys have certainly given me a lot to consider.

Comment

Was I the only person who didn't change body shape since high school? I still have a few shirts, polos and tees that fit me fine and I'm 25 now.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                              Sorry, I really disagree with this. Yes it's necessary for funerals, but honestly IMO this is the part of your wardrobe where you can save money. You're heading into college, you're honestly probably not going to be going to nightclubs until you're 21-22 at the earliest (you'll be doing most of your partying on-campus where shorts, flip flops, and a college t-shirt are perfectly acceptable, and if you go off campus I'm 99% certain it won't be to a suit jacket type of place with any regularity). And frankly if I were a girl looking to find a guy at a nightclub, it wouldn't be the one in a black suit - especially not a black suit you're buying at 17 or 18 on a budget.

Rent a tux. You've got a trim build and it's going to be hard to find something OTR that fits you well...buying a black suit or a tux is just throwing money away for something you'll barely use or grow out of. I've seen your WIWT and you dress pretty well already, so if you want to grab a blazer in college get an unstructured cotton/linen blend or a more structured navy wool for presentations, interviews, dates, formals, and really anything in college. Pick up a suit as a junior when you start thinking about post-school work/summer internships/graduate school interviews.
                              This is moot, because Mikey has since said he's not into the black suit idea, but I want to respond because you're both misrepresenting my advice and operating from a different set of assumptions about nightclubs. There seem to be 3 options:

a) Rent a tux, twice: cost ~$300
                              b) Buy the cheap midnight blue tux: cost $250ish + tailoring
                              c) Buy a cheap black suit: let's call the cost $300, give or take

Options A and B don't give him an article of clothing he can then wear in the future, yet the cost for all 3 is roughly the same. If he liked the idea of wearing a black suit instead of a tux, that option to me would make the most sense because there is a legitimate chance he could wear it again. But whatever option he's choosing he's not likely to get much extra use out of it. I certainly wasn't suggesting that a black suit is a wardrobe staple, or is something worth investing in just for the odd funeral, or should, under normal circumstances, be his first or only suit purchase, or whatever other unwarranted insinuations you're reading into my post.

And maybe it's because I went to college in a major city but my sense is that many 18 year olds do in fact go to nightclubs/danceclubs, even if only occasionally. Further, they wear pretty darned ridiculous outfits to them. Nightclubs happen to be one of the few venues where you can actually get use out of a black suit because dark clothes are extremely apropos. Think wearing a full black suit out is too much? I agree: break it up. Voila, you've got clubbing pants or a clubbing blazer (that, thankfully, you don't much care if anything happens to them). And while it's comforting to know that if you were an 18 year old girl you'd have high enough standards and self-respect to avoid the overtures of overly slick-looking guys in black suits, fortunately for Mikey he's not trying to sleep with you, and, I hope it won't offend your modesty if I report that the kind of girls nightclubs attract are not always as discriminating as you or I would be.

Comment

Working...
                              X