How versatile are these topcoats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How versatile are these topcoats?

I'll be graduating law school this year and saw this as part of the JCrew final sale with an extra 30% off. I will need an overcoat to go over suits (I currently have navy, grey, dark charcoal), and I was wondering if either of these would be able to go with all those suit colors? I'm partial to the carob color one over the herringbone, but I'm not sure how the carob one would look over a dark charcoal or navy suit.

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/...~~~~/99484.jsp

http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/...~~~~/99485.jsp

As with many other things, charcoal grey and navy are going to be the most versatile colors for an overcoat. You're probably bored of those by now, but remember that overcoats will generally be worn in the darker, colder months, so austere colors are going to be quite suitable (no pun intended).

Imo, go with that charcoal one. This is the end of the season (in the Northern Hemisphere, anyway), so it's a good time to shop around for deals. Also consider thrifting. Be careful with earthy overcoats because they tend to have casual country connotations. It's a little strange to walk between boardrooms in a charcoal business suit and your black Park Avenues when you've got a hunting jacket on top of them.
    Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DXLi View Post
      As with many other things, charcoal grey and navy are going to be the most versatile colors for an overcoat. You're probably bored of those by now, but remember that overcoats will generally be worn in the darker, colder months, so austere colors are going to be quite suitable (no pun intended).

Imo, go with that charcoal one. This is the end of the season (in the Northern Hemisphere, anyway), so it's a good time to shop around for deals. Also consider thrifting. Be careful with earthy overcoats because they tend to have casual country connotations. It's a little strange to walk between boardrooms in a charcoal business suit and your black Park Avenues when you've got a hunting jacket on top of them.
      Thanks for the feedback. I ended up getting the grey herringbone for $105, and a rep waived the final sale on the carob one ($140) so that I can return if I want.

Comment

Originally posted by deebs View Post
        Thanks for the feedback. I ended up getting the grey herringbone for $105, and a rep waived the final sale on the carob one ($140) so that I can return if I want.
        How did you get the rep to waive the final sale? My wife surprised me with the carob coat, but it's too big and I'm either gonna try to return it or have to sell it.
        Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Working...
        X