interview shirt and tie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interview shirt and tie

So I just got a call for an internship interview and was told its Monday, I know last minute. I know I'll be wearing my navy Hugo Boss suit and Im just trying to decide on a shirt and tie now. At the job fair where I first met a company HR rep I had on my blue cutaway collar shirt with lavender Hermes tie, as its my go to job fair/interview outfit but I'm not sure if the person I'd be interviewing with is the same as who was at the career fair. The hermes tie is the only business-y tie I have at school right now so I was wondering if people think its fine to wear that same outfit or should I go pick up a rep stripe tie? Also Ive heard to stay away from large collar spreads like a cutaway for an interview as they can be seen as just a fashion shirt, do you think I should stick with the normal boring white semi-spread I have here?

Congrats! You probably won't be interviewing with the HR rep, they'll come out to say hello to you if the company wants to show you a familiar face, and with some interviews I had in college you were assigned a rep that stayed with you throughout the interview day, taking you from interview to interview (4 interviews for one company in one day, was rough!). I don't think it's a problem to wear the same tie again, you are a college student and that's a damn nice tie. I think a white semi-spread is best for your interview, but honestly as long as the cutaway isn't terribly severe you could get away with it.

Good luck, don't sweat the clothes and focus on prepping over the weekend.

Comment

They met you at a job fair, along with who knows how many other people. They won't remember what you wore

As for which shirt, a good rule of thumb is 'if you have to ask...' Personally, I'd go for the white shirt.

Comment

Pics would be useful for the shirt and tie. Lavender in the tie strikes me as a little weird for an interview. I would normally stick to something more conservative, personally... burgundy or navy.

But, it's hard to say without knowing what the tie really looks like.

In any case, I don't think most interviewers give much thought to or remember an interviewee's attire unless it sticks out in a bad way.
        Ben

Comment

@Los rockets it definitely is a nice tie for a college student, but it was kinda a keepsake from a vacation to paris and I figured why not.
          the small pattern in the tie is a tiny "H"
          here is the shirt and tie combo (I know not the best knot in the pics)
          http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...ps563b997a.jpg
          http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3985f003.jpg

Comment

I agree with BenR, most of us that interview aren't going to ding you unless you obviously dressed as if you just didn't care about the interview. I work for a tech company so it's rare to see people show up in a suit for their interview, and most that do wear one look like they've never had it altered. As long as what you're wearing is appropriate for the company/job you'll be fine.

Comment

Looks good to me, except for the knot as you mentioned (too big compared to labels and collar for me).

Comment

Four in hand, or a half windsor. At least tighten the knot up.

Comment

Maybe add a pocket square, everything looks good. Also if you do wear that tie and they do remember it, you stood out and they remembered you...that's a good sign.

Also good collar choice

Comment

^^What these guys said. A white pocket square if you've got one will look nice and add a bit of balance to the outfit, and definitely make that knot smaller, try to get a dimple or at least tighten it up a bit. Collar looks good to me.

Comment

s_crane, A light blue spread collar shirt is the best choice for an interview. It goes with everything, and you're guaranteed to please the more traditional interviewers.

I agree with everything that BenR wrote. Additionally, the ensemble in your picture is perfect for an interview, but your tie knot is absolutely terrible.

Break a leg!

Comment

S_crane,

What we know is what you would like to wear (minus the shoe color, which a minimum dark "coffee bean" brown or black, not walnut, not light brown). I sometimes stress the importance of "knowing your audience" which in this case, the company you're interviewing for, which is known by you but not given to us. So if the company/industry you're interviewing for is "young/creative" , I say the lavender tie is a go. If not, your blue with red stripe is the better choice, as you don't want to strike the wrong cord with traditional interviewers. A white pocket square will be noticed by the latter as opposed to the former.

After you leave the interview, how you send a thank you note is also as important by knowing your interviewers. If he/she is young, email is fine. If he/she is older/much more established (50+), a hand written thank you note will give you the edge just as that white pocket square sets you apart (sartorially) from other applicant.

Good luck!

Comment

Its a consulting engineering firm in Boston. Is a white pocket square when neither the shirt or tie have white it it alright? I have a white cotton pocket square I just always thought the P.S. was supposed to match a color in the tie? and as for shoe color Im wearing my dark brown TBNY shoes, my black dress shoes are ugly. I was planning on hand written thank you notes no matter what. Thanks for everyone's help, good to know my go to outfit is ok for it, just clean up my knot.

Comment

Originally posted by s_crane View Post
                            Its a consulting engineering firm in Boston. Is a white pocket square when neither the shirt or tie have white it it alright? I have a white cotton pocket square I just always thought the P.S. was supposed to match a color in the tie? and as for shoe color Im wearing my dark brown TBNY shoes, my black dress shoes are ugly. I was planning on hand written thank you notes no matter what. Thanks for everyone's help, good to know my go to outfit is ok for it, just clean up my knot.

not at all, that's considered too matchy matchy in most circles. Think of black tie events, black tie, white PS.

A white PS pretty much goes with anything.

Comment

Originally posted by martindepores View Post
                              S_crane,

After you leave the interview, how you send a thank you note is also as important by knowing your interviewers. If he/she is young, email is fine. If he/she is older/much more established (50+), a hand written thank you note will give you the edge just as that white pocket square sets you apart (sartorially) from other applicant.

Good luck!
                              Essential advice.
                              "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Working...
                              X