Black pant, black shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black pant, black shoes

So, if I were to totally get rid of my black pants, excluding my black jeans, is it safe to say I won't have a reason to wear black shoes?

Don't own a black suit (anymore) I am not looking for another job anytime soon, sometimes I will wear black pants with a white windowpaned(or other minimal pattern) shirt and tie. So if I go dark grey, navy, or even medium grey, I can pretty much get by on dark brown shoes?

Does anyone else here not own any black pants?

The only black shoes I own are some too narrow for my fit AE Sanford's and perfectly fitting AE Boston's.

Ditch the black jeans!

Comment

I don't own any black pants. They look really harsh and I don't get the point of them. The only time I will is when (if) I buy a tux (but those will obviously be tuxedo pants). You've got enough black shoes to last a lifetime, and if you ever want to, you're welcome to wear those black shoes with your dress pants for a more formal look, but yes, for the colors you've described, a dark brown works equally well. Bruschetta and anybody else from the UK will tell you that black shoes are an important part of formal workwear, and indeed over there that's true. Not so much in the US. But they're good to have nonetheless for formal evening events and to mix things up.

Get rid of your black dress pants! If you like your black denim, you can definitely wear that with black boots for a badass look (if you can rock it), but it's not for me. Go for a pair of burgundy dress shoes once you've got a pair or two of brown ones.

Comment

Thanks! Funny enough I already have a pair of burgundy AE Van Ness that I only break out for formal stuff since they are Oxford caps, but I guess they should be in my weekly rotation. I have zero brown lace ups but a pair of Meermin brown longwings are coming in the mail, hope they fit and they will be my go to shoe. Time to save my pennies for either a dark brown fifth aves or borboun strand.

I don't know where I got into my head that black jeans were a staple and I only wear them when going out, but I guess it's time time to reconsider them. Thanks again!

Comment

Dark jeans are a staple... to most of us, that means a dark blue.

I haven't owned black pants for a while. Dark grey or charcoal. I do still see a need for black shoes when I have on a charcoal suit, or potentially a charcoal pair of pants if I wanted to look less flashy, which I would for work (my brown dress shoes aren't light brown, but they definitely aren't dark brown). Tends to be limited to customer meetings and things like that, though.

Comment

The only black pants I own are some running tights. But I do still own black shoes.

Assuming you live in the US, don't work in law or finance, and don't do a lot of white or black tie functions, there is probably no real need to own black shoes. You can get by with dark brown or burgundy in 9 of 10 cases where you have to "dress up."

That said, there's no harm in owning or wearing black shoes, as long as you stay away from certain bad combinations like khaki chinos and black shoes. Olive and brown aren't great with black shoes either. But any shade of blue or grey looks fine with black shoes.
            Ben

Comment

Here's a follow up question, can I wear my black monks as a formal shoe? I don't have a black cap oxford, the sanford is a brogued cap blucher, but since it is too narrow for my feet, I may ebay it and only use the black monks for anytime I need a black shoe.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                The only black pants I own are some running tights. But I do still own black shoes.

Assuming you live in the US, don't work in law or finance, and don't do a lot of white or black tie functions, there is probably no real need to own black shoes. You can get by with dark brown or burgundy in 9 of 10 cases where you have to "dress up."

That said, there's no harm in owning or wearing black shoes, as long as you stay away from certain bad combinations like khaki chinos and black shoes. Olive and brown aren't great with black shoes either. But any shade of blue or grey looks fine with black shoes.
                +1

I actually like black shoes better with dark navy than most browns. Either way if it gives someone more options, it isn't a problem.

Comment

I prefer to wear black shoes with navy and charcoal suits. I also prefer to wear black shoes when I wear charcoal or navy wool trousers. That being said, I agree with Los that most people don't need more than one pair of black shoes.

I think that everyone needs a pair of black cap toe oxfords for funerals, weddings, and other formal events.

Comment

Black is more formal than brown, so purchase shoes accordingly. I also prefer black shoes with light gray or charcoal suits / pants like Bruschetta, but brown with khaki and navy blue.

With jeans, it depends.. during the day, it'd likely be dark brown. For nightlife, I prefer black, as it's much classier and sleek in my opinion (you ever see a brown fighter jet?).

I suspect that black is intrinsically more urban and immediately becomes less acceptable in more rural areas. If you're from a rural area, and you have access to the internet, I'm duly impressed. I understand that most of the "brown-shoes-for-everything" types still attend Town Hall meetings for their news.

Comment

I've been seeing a lot of comments about wearing brown shoes instead of black with navy pants, but this look changed my mind:

http://thefashionisto.com/wp-content...nanarep004.jpg

There are exceptions to all rules, I suppose

Comment

I would think you would rather wear brown shoes with navy instead of black. Black shoes and navy pants give off an Air Force type of vibe.

Comment

Well. Like pepper spray you probably won't ever need black shoes and won't ever feel a pressing need.

But if you do run into a situation where you need it, it's probably an urgent need.

So I think it's a good idea to have a black shoe at the ready. Doesn't have to be a super conservative cap toe or anything like that, but something in black that can at least pass.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgan Liu View Post
                            Well. Like pepper spray you probably won't ever need black shoes and won't ever feel a pressing need.

But if you do run into a situation where you need it, it's probably an urgent need.

So I think it's a good idea to have a black shoe at the ready. Doesn't have to be a super conservative cap toe or anything like that, but something in black that can at least pass.
                            I agree. I rarely wear black shoes but there will be those events wear black shoes will be necessary.

Comment

I wear my black shoes because I feel sorry for them lol. They are getting lonely on my shoe rack and need some lovin.

Comment

Working...
                              X