Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bourbon strands or Brown Burnished calf, which one to keep?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to narrow down to one of these options as well, that picture is really messing with my recent vow of financial restraint.
    “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
    "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

Originally posted by somaticmarker1 View Post
      To elaborate. Eevn though the shades aren't all that different, the dark brown looks a little better when paired with a darker navy/gray suit; however, I feel like the bourbon is fine in everything but the most formal situations. The bourbon looks much better than the dark brown with jeans and chinos. I alternate wearing the dark brown/bourbon to work depending on the nature of the suit I am wearing. I only wear the bourbons on weekends or with more casual dress. Hence, the bourbon gets much more play.
      I know i need to find the time to eyeball this myself, but how do you think the bourbon works with navy specifically? I work in a pretty conservative environment and probably don't have the guts to try any shade of brown shoe w/ charcoal, but if I could find one that works with navy as well as chinos and jeans I'd be thrilled, and was hoping the bourbon would fit the bill.
      “There are moments, Jeeves, when one asks oneself, 'Do trousers matter?'"
      "The mood will pass, sir.”

Comment

Originally posted by Sideswipe View Post
        I know i need to find the time to eyeball this myself, but how do you think the bourbon works with navy specifically? I work in a pretty conservative environment and probably don't have the guts to try any shade of brown shoe w/ charcoal, but if I could find one that works with navy as well as chinos and jeans I'd be thrilled, and was hoping the bourbon would fit the bill.
        I don't have any personal experience with it, but I see no reason that it wouldn't work perfectly with navy. I love the combo of walnut and navy. Pure (burnished/chocolate) brown is easily paired with navy. I have no doubt that bourbon, being between the two, would fit well.

Comment

OP, do you already have a brown formal shoe (cap-toe, for example?) if so, keep the bourbon. If not, keep the brown.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisW View Post
            OP, do you already have a brown formal shoe (cap-toe, for example?) if so, keep the bourbon. If not, keep the brown.
            This makes a difference. What else do you have? If this is your 3rd pair of dress shoes you'll likely have different needs than if it is your 43rd.

Comment

Originally posted by Sideswipe View Post
              The bourbon works fine with navy. My work environment can run extremely conservative to very lenient depending on I'm at my location or in DC. If I'm in the extremely conservative location, I'm going to default to Park Avenues. Essentially, I think the bourbon is fine for everything but the most conservative work environments, where I wouldn't be wearing captoes w/mediallions in the first place.

If you are going to wear the shoes for work only go with the dark brown. If you want to wear them anywhere else, go with the bourbon. The dark brown just look of place with jeans, chinos or summer suits. The bourbon is fine with navy or darker gray (not charcoal) suits.

Comment

I wish Bourbon was available a year ago. I have walnut strands and as I'm honing in on my personal style, I'm finding them to be a little flashier than I'd really like (don't get me wrong, I still wear them frequently). Then I got the 5th Avenues in brown, and they're very dark (I kind of overshot it in the other direction, although I wear them frequently as well). Bourbon just seems to be right in the sweet spot for my tastes.

I vote for the bourbon.

Comment

Working...
                X