Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Banana Republic Black Wool Top Coat - Grey better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whiteknight
    replied

Unfortunately I think that the "grey-ists" are right. I wore the coat out a couple times this weekend and while I love the fit and style, I think that charcoal is a better way to go. I have mostly brown shoes, and it feels weird wearing them with the coat, especially when it comes to selecting gloves.

Can anyone recommend something with similar cut and price? Basically, this coat in charcoal?

Leave a comment:

• Whiteknight
    replied

I do have a grey overcoat already that I got several years ago, full length, but it's way too big on me. I'm hoping that it can be tailored, but right now it looks like I'm wearing dad's bathrobe. Assuming that the grey coat can be made to look reasonable on me, I'm planning use the grey one mostly for when I'm in a suit or jacket and the BR one for regular work week stuff where jackets and ties only come out for customer meetings.

Leave a comment:

• OnlyShawn
    replied

I personally don't like black anything anymore, but that's just preference. As said above, anything that you can wear black with, you can wear grey with, but the reverse isn't as true. That said, if you need a coat, and have that one already w/o a grey replacement in sight, stick with it.

Leave a comment:

• john_pepper
    replied

I have that BR coat. It is money. Keep it. You can pick up a decent grey wool coat for $60 or so from Target or Old Navy (or thrift for even less) for the times when it really doesn't work. I just picked up a grey Bonwit Teller cashmere blend overcoat for $15.

Leave a comment:

• Whiteknight
    replied

I haven't worn the new coat out yet and it still has the tags on it. I just grabbed it at the store because of the sale and because I'd seen it on the winter outerwear post.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied

I prefer grey for practical reasons, but I'm not sure I would return something just so I could look for something in grey.

Grey outerwear is usually heather grey, which stays looking cleaner for longer than a dark solid color like black or navy. But I grew up with two cats, a big fluffy Great Pyrenees, and a family full of blonde people, so I am particularly sensitive to that aspect of clothing care.

Leave a comment:

• MaxMan
    replied

Stick with the black coat. I have an all black Peacoat that wears just fine. It compliments everything i wear, because its an exterior shell, and basically a blank canvas. No sense in returningthe one you have especially if the fit is great. Before returing wear it with a few items already in your closet, if it clashes, which i truly doubt return it, if you feel its not an issue keep it. The black and grey thing is cool but all rules must be broken especially if its not a suit, in which case grey all the way! Sorry, ranted a little lol.

Leave a comment:

• Whiteknight
    replied

If only the coat were available in grey.

Leave a comment:

• Tat
    replied

Grey is much more versatile in my opinion when being compared to black. Anything you're going to wear your black top coat with, the grey will be able to as well. Grey can go with brown, as well as blue, yet while having enough contrast to not blend too closely.

The only option I see that the grey may not be able to cover, is possibly a similar in color grey suit, or sweater or shirt. But this case is much more uncommon than the trouble black will give you.

Leave a comment:

• Whiteknight
    started a topic Banana Republic Black Wool Top Coat - Grey better?

Banana Republic Black Wool Top Coat - Grey better?

I purchased the BR top coat from the recent outwear post for $150 on sale. I like it a lot, but I'm concerned that maybe I should get a grey coat instead as I've been lead to believe that's more versatile. Thoughts?

Working...
X