Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Try A Jos. A. Bank Slim Fit Suit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Try A Jos. A. Bank Slim Fit Suit?

They seem to be having a decent sale now (3 suits for about $600) and I need a few suits. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with just how slim their slim fit suits are and how much tailoring they would need?

I have three, and they fit great with little tailoring. Im 6ft 180, athletic and they were just what i was looking for. I went with a simple black, navy and charcoal. Just have realistic expectation on the quality and service. like anything, the better care you take the longer they will last. They would try and fit me into a long via my measurements, but i went with the normal length jacket so the back wasn't too long.

hope that helps

Comment

3 for $200 each? You could get J Crew Factory's Thompsons for that price.

Comment

I'd highly recommend getting one decent quality suit and adding over time...eg I really want the suit supply $1000 suit next it sounds like it would be great for warmer weather.

Comment

Don't buy 3 suits unless you need 3 suits. Wait for a different sale at JaB if you're set on them. Probably better to not go with JaB in generally. My two from a B1G1 deal a few years ago sit in my closet and I think I only wore one once.
          5'8" 155 lbs 39" chest 33" sleeves 33" waist

Comment

Ok — what are some other places to get suits? I can't do JCrew Factory because, for some stupid reason, they don't make pants in my size (30x32).

Comment

Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
              I'd highly recommend getting one decent quality suit and adding over time...eg I really want the suit supply $1000 suit next it sounds like it would be great for warmer weather.
              I couldn't agree more with this advice.

Comment

If you have the choice, I'd recommend steering clear of JAB and Men's Wearhouse. Unless you're prepared to make a decision on your own while tuning out annoying sales people giving horrible advice (usually), you'll be better off somewhere else. Besides, their prices are typically still too high even after all the seemingly massive discounts.

Banana Republic has some decent stuff (though they typically overcharge for it... a Friends and Family 50% off may bring some into the reasonable range). If you can afford it, the often mentioned Suit Supply really does seem like a very high quality to price ratio (ie, more bang for your buck). For similar pricing, but slightly lower quality (but possibly a better fit) Indochino MTM suiting could be another way to go... There are a number of MTM suit places and I honestly haven't done enough research to point to one over the other. I know Indochino is a well known one, but that's about it.

I kinda want to direct you to a smaller menswear store in your area, but honestly unless you really know what you're doing, you may be getting ripped off: I was about to buy a Hugo Boss suit from one not too long ago, but I ended up bailing because of that. They seemed to be knowledgeable, friendly, have good quality, etc, but I just didn't (don't) know enough to make an informed decision in that situation.

If you have a chance to stop into a Nordstrom Rack, Saks Off Fifth, or the other high-end outlet stores, I believe they often have some good deals. A lot of people also really seem to like Brooks Brothers suits. Again, I've never had an experience with them, so I can't really comment.

EDIT: There are plenty of suiting guides out on the web. I suggest you figure out what type of quality / price you're aiming for and then find a suit guide that discusses that range. Dappered has some great info on the lower end and juuuust touches the mid range with it's discussion of the $500 - $600 offerings from suit supply.
                Last edited by diversification; April 5, 2013, 05:09 PM.
                My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Comment

Working...
                X