Argyle. What happened to it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Argyle. What happened to it?

Simple question. I stopped wearing my argyle sweaters (Have one each from JCrew, BR, and Express) around the same time I started visiting Dappered. Never made the conscious connection until recently, but we never see photos of men in argyle sweaters as "this is a good look" and I've not even considered wearing these sweaters in a couple years. I've totally swapped over to the solid sweater.

(by the way, Club Monaco's Merino V-Necks are awesome, I wore mine for the first time today and it's very trim-fitting and the v is perfect. A bit on the thinner side though).

What's the reason for not wearing argyle sweaters? Do they tend to be unflattering on most men, or just give off a certain vibe?

I think it's best in smaller patterns like socks versus a full sweater.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
      Simple question. I stopped wearing my argyle sweaters (Have one each from JCrew, BR, and Express) around the same time I started visiting Dappered. Never made the conscious connection until recently, but we never see photos of men in argyle sweaters as "this is a good look" and I've not even considered wearing these sweaters in a couple years. I've totally swapped over to the solid sweater.

(by the way, Club Monaco's Merino V-Necks are awesome, I wore mine for the first time today and it's very trim-fitting and the v is perfect. A bit on the thinner side though).

What's the reason for not wearing argyle sweaters? Do they tend to be unflattering on most men, or just give off a certain vibe?
      I think it's just a trend-driven thing - the same way ginghams and checks have been huge recently, while pinstripes and paisleys are rather out-of-style (though pinstripes are in the midst of making a comeback).

I remember argyle was pretty big a few years back. Now it seems to have been replaced by Fair Isle and similar patterns.

It doesn't mean that anything is wrong with argyle, per se, just that it's fallen a bit out of vogue at the moment. I don't think that should preclude you from incorporating it into outfits, especially if it fits well.
      Ben

Comment

Argyle seems a little court jester-esque to me. It can be done well if the item is particularly understated, but those are rare since it is contrary to the pattern's inherent disposition.

Comment

I think it just makes you look like a certain head of a record label/clothing line/various other businesses, who dates models...
          Not really the look i go for, but I sure wouldn't mind the life style
          Last edited by mikanad; April 5, 2013, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Wow, I'm really not getting the reference there @mikanad. First thought was Diddy but that doesn't make sense.

Comment

Argyle works best in earth tones, which makes it pretty much a fall pattern.

Comment

he's talking about Russell Simmons. But in fairness to Russell Simmons, he dates supermodels.

So yeah he's right about everything.

Comment

It's casual, it's seasonal, and it's somewhat ephemeral. Unless you're golfing, argyle isn't a timeless look, so expect it to come in and out of vogue cyclically.
                  Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. ~Twain

Comment

Or a certain tar-heeled basketball team.

Comment

Originally posted by kbrown View Post
                      Boom. Head shot.
                      6'4" 210lbs, 40L, 15.5/35, 35x34

Comment

Originally posted by kbrown View Post
                        Indeed. I have a Fall weight crew neck in earth tones with an argyle pattern and it works great when the weather gets cooler.

Comment

Working...
                        X