To Boot New York captoe quality/price question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Boot New York captoe quality/price question

I have been looking for a brown captoe balmoral for awhile. Park/fifth aves are an obvious choice but i've had no luck on ebay or the shoebank in my size and color preference and full price is not in the stars right now. I will be checking out the upcoming sale with fingers crossed. This shoe is available at Off 5th for $139 and is very similar to the park ave and has a nice shade of brown. It's called the Thomas but a google search turned up little so it must be out of production for some time. Made in Italy, leather sole and welted (maybe only half). The lining is leather/textile. I found a few mentions in the threads and on other forums about TBNY but not alot of recent stuff. Anyone have personal experience? Pics below plus a link to shoe sticker codes i found while trying to figure out the sticker on the soles...

two pics in link

http://imgur.com/e8SqbHd,BPDijhF#1

http://www.itr-labs.com/2010/09/10/a...-shoes-labels/
    Last edited by jwest; April 4, 2013, 02:22 PM.

bump this.

I am curious about TBNY as well. Their shoes look really nice but I do not know much about them. Are the soles even welted on them? I would hope so since they are more expensive than Allen Edmonds. I have seen them in the store and they do not look/feel like they are well made (but I could be entirely wrong).

For $139, I would pull the trigger on them, especially since they can run north of $300 (sometimes even around $400) /pair.

Comment

Originally posted by printyra View Post
      bump this.

I am curious about TBNY as well. Their shoes look really nice but I do not know much about them. Are the soles even welted on them? I would hope so since they are more expensive than Allen Edmonds. I have seen them in the store and they do not look/feel like they are well made (but I could be entirely wrong).

For $139, I would pull the trigger on them, especially since they can run north of $300 (sometimes even around $400) /pair.
      There is a welt visible inside the shoe (and outside) on the front half. They do have a great shape and were comfortable when i tried them on. I think they are worth it if they will hold up decently. Has anyone owned TBNY and can chime in?

Comment

I have some TBNY penny loafers. Very nice modern shape and long/high vamp (if I'm describing that correctly). They fit me very well, which is a problem with many shoes, especially loafers if they do not have that long vamp (very flat feet lead to bowing/gaping around the ankles).

Regarding quality, mine are still pretty young, so I can't really attest to longevity. I will say the leather feels very high quality, but does wrinkle/crinkle quite easily. These seem to smooth out with conditioner/polish or simply from dedicated shoe-tree usage (I'm pretty anal about that - WODER!).

I think they are GREAT shoes, if you can get a GREAT deal on them. As printyra notes, they have a very hefty MSRP, one that I would never pay, personally. However, since you've found them at Saks' discount shop for a good price, I'd probably go for it, if you're liking them.

I saw the same shoe this past weekend at Saks' Off 5th too, but in black, which I *almost* grabbed. However, they were not marked as low as what you've found, and I still almost caved. They felt great on my feet in the store, and the leather is nice and supple, and of seemingly high quality.

I don't wish to lead you astray, as I said I haven't had my loafers for any substantial length of time to speak on true longevity for a still pretty-pricey shoe, but so far I'm really digging them.

Comment

Originally posted by jwest View Post
          There is a welt visible inside the shoe (and outside) on the front half. They do have a great shape and were comfortable when i tried them on. I think they are worth it if they will hold up decently. Has anyone owned TBNY and can chime in?
          I was under the impression they were glued. I wouldn't pay $139 for glued shoes, regardless of who makes them.

Comment

Working...
          X